Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ken Livingstone resigns from the Labour Party

1235»

Comments

• I honestly don't think Ken Livingstone is anti-semitic. One of the things that annoy the left is the positions people take with no real knowledge, study or thought for a subject. They have their position because they are manipulated into having it by others. Anybody on here who actually thinks Corbyn is anti-semitic falls into that category because he is the opposite.

The point I think Livingstone was trying to make was that these subjects are more complicated and less black and white than people seem to make them. The problem was, in doing so, he was guilty of doing this himself. And seeing what happened to the Jews under the Nazis it was crass, insensitive and offensive.

Some of the young and angry, and not so young look at the story of Israel and can't get over the injustice. Let's be honest, a people were kicked out of their country and oppressed, because of what is written in the Bible. Of course there were other factors, such as an empathy for the most terrible of crimes committed against the Jews. These crimes convinced people that they needed a homeland where they could not be oppressed. And of course, there was Jewish terrorism that was fighting for a homeland. But they have to get over it!

The solution is not to look back, but to look forwards. Peace can be achieved - not with the current Jewish government but definitely with a future one. You only have to look at the Eurovision Song Contest to see the progressive elements in Israel's young. Anger causes deaths and both sides need to move closer and solutions can be found. The west needs to be a broker for a lasting peace. Everybody has to accept that the Jewish state cannot be undone and has a right to exist. From that point, a way has to be found for it to exist in peace.

No agreement is possible with any 'Jewish' government. Not this one or a future one.
    The Jewish state should not be allowed to materialize.
    A total separation of state and religion is the only way forward, then an agreement may be possible with the Israeli state
  • “It’s completely over the top but it’s not antisemitism. Let’s remember when Hitler won his election in 1932, his policy then was that Jews should be moved to Israel. He was supporting Zionism – this before he went mad and ended up killing six million Jews.

His actual quote. I think he was re-quoting the Israeli PM. Not reported by most of the press. How many people commenting on here have actually read it? If that is a critisim or lack of respect to Jews, can someone explain. Or have I missed some more anti-semetic comments? All on the left are critical of the insipid Israeli regime, the right wing Tory Press who in the 30s supported Moseley and Hitler are throwing mud and some is sticking. The BoD and JCL (land grab apologists) that Corbyn met wanted him to agree to the IHRA defenition of anti-semtism that gave Israel carte-blanche to persecute Palestinians. They rightly refused while accepting the main defenition.

Ok, I’ll bite.

Hitler and the nazis decimated the Jewish population of Europe. There are individuals still alive today who remember their family being torn apart and having to hide or run from the nazis. Zionism is a key part of some Jews faith, and who’s popularity exploded after the events of the holocaust. To say Hitler, the man who has and continues to inflict a huge amount of pain on Jews was a supporter or supported something that some feel is fundamental to their faith that he wanted to destroy is grossly disrespectful and offensive. I refer to my comparison before, it’s like saying white people saved Africans who were being sold into slavery by their fellow Africans by giving them shelter and work in the southern United States.

The “then he went mad..” sticks the knife in as well, hitler had a long history of anti semtism and anti Semitic policies and speeches before he won the election. The reason he didn’t kill all those Jews immediately was simply because there wasn’t the infrastructure in place to do it.
    The reason was also that Germany was not at War then and other countries were outraged at its treatment of Jews. Hitler was having difficulty getting away with what he was doing so saying he supported a Jewish cause is ridiculous. We should also note that hatred of the Jews was not a facist trait - it was the Nazis following the influence of Hitler. In view of the inhuman treatment of Jews before the war, saying 'before he went mad' was jaw dropping and Livingstone should be ashamed of himself.

Italy had concentration camps and killed and oppressed Jews but this was only after getting into bed with Hitler. Mussolini could count on many Jewish supporters and statements he made show he was not anti-semitic at all. But when he joined forces with Hitler he was happy to throw the Jews to the lions. Even former close allies!
  • I honestly don't think Ken Livingstone is anti-semitic. One of the things that annoy the left is the positions people take with no real knowledge, study or thought for a subject. They have their position because they are manipulated into having it by others. Anybody on here who actually thinks Corbyn is anti-semitic falls into that category because he is the opposite.

The point I think Livingstone was trying to make was that these subjects are more complicated and less black and white than people seem to make them. The problem was, in doing so, he was guilty of doing this himself. And seeing what happened to the Jews under the Nazis it was crass, insensitive and offensive.

Some of the young and angry, and not so young look at the story of Israel and can't get over the injustice. Let's be honest, a people were kicked out of their country and oppressed, because of what is written in the Bible. Of course there were other factors, such as an empathy for the most terrible of crimes committed against the Jews. These crimes convinced people that they needed a homeland where they could not be oppressed. And of course, there was Jewish terrorism that was fighting for a homeland. But they have to get over it!

The solution is not to look back, but to look forwards. Peace can be achieved - not with the current Jewish government but definitely with a future one. You only have to look at the Eurovision Song Contest to see the progressive elements in Israel's young. Anger causes deaths and both sides need to move closer and solutions can be found. The west needs to be a broker for a lasting peace. Everybody has to accept that the Jewish state cannot be undone and has a right to exist. From that point, a way has to be found for it to exist in peace.

No agreement is possible with any 'Jewish' government. Not this one or a future one.
    A total separation of state and religion is the only way forward, then an agreement may be possible with the Israeli state
    You are correct, I should have said Israeli state.

I apologize for the righteous intensity in my response, but intentionally or not, you really nailed the most fundamental point of the zionist dilema.
    Unfortunately a lot of people in Israel would love the country to be known as 'the Jewish state'...

I apologize for the righteous intensity in my response, but intentionally or not, you really nailed the most fundamental point of the zionist dilema.
    Unfortunately a lot of people in Israel would love the country to be known as 'the Jewish state'...
    The very high birth rate amongst the ultra-religious likely implies that any hope that the younger generations can find a path to peace is likely forlorn.

The very high birth rate amongst the ultra-religious likely implies that any hope that the younger generations can find a path to peace is likely forlorn.
    Hence my Perth residency
  • Billy bragg going a bit morrissey on twitter this morning...