Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

edited February 2023 in Other Football and Sports
After watching the great golfers at Carnoustie today at 2018 British Open- I thought for us "choppers" it would be nice to share our most memorable moments on the course...

Today I took my 20 year old and 12 year old out at The London Club and we all scored over 36 points - trust me that is pretty much a miracle !!

12 year old highlight - Oscar - 460 yard par 5.

Driver, 6 iron, 9 iron, 8 foot putt - Birdie!!!

Dad proper chuffed !!

Memorable moments ? Share ......

Comments

• Hole in one, 3rd hole par 3 at Chart Hills, 17 years ago
  • BR3red said:

After watching the great golfers at Carnoustie today at 2018 British Open- I thought for us "choppers" it would be nice to share our most memorable moments on the course...

Today I took my 20 year old and 12 year old out at The London Club and we all scored over 36 points - trust me that is pretty much a miracle !!

Dad proper chuffed !!

Err, any highlights from your 20 year old ?

( Not the ones in his hair BTW)
  • BR3red said:

Dad proper chuffed !!

Do the kid a favour, tell him to quit now, it will all be shit from now on
  • Must have been. Shit 6 iron.
  • Only joking !!!
  • Over 36 points at the london club i every good going, not an easy course.

In a club competition it was all square with me and my partner on the 18th as to who would win (the competition), I was about half a foot of the green and about 40ft from the hole as my second shot was poor, my partner was on the green maybe 6 foot. I somehow managed to sink the putt, it drained all confidence out of him for his six footer and he came up short.

An eagle on the 1st at Wentworth.

An almost hole in one at Vale de Lobo, the famous hole over the cliff, Beautiful hybrid landed a few feet before the hole, rolled up, hit the flag and knocked about about 6 inches left.

A few weeks ago at Brocket Hall, reaching the green with probably the best drive i've ever hit at 380 yards (yes the ground is hard but still got to have the right draw to get there). it was 30 degree heat, 27 holes but my team won the scramble in the morning and I came second in the afternoon with 38 points (got beat by a scratch woman!) - and I didn't score on the last three holes as threw up by the green of the 15th (probably sun stroke!).

Beating the Pro on a corp day at Hever, proper cocky sod, short par 3 (100 ish yards) hits his wedge to within about a foot of the whole, licks his finger and paints a one in the air and says 'beat that' - to which I did, gave him the wind up middle finger.

So thats all my good shots - wheres the thread for my 17,643 awful memories of shots?
  • Rob7Lee said:

Over 36 points at the london club i every good going, not an easy course.

In a club competition it was all square with me and my partner on the 18th as to who would win (the competition), I was about half a foot of the green and about 40ft from the hole as my second shot was poor, my partner was on the green maybe 6 foot. I somehow managed to sink the putt, it drained all confidence out of him for his six footer and he came up short.

An almost hole in one at Vale de Lobo, the famous hole over the cliff, Beautiful hybrid landed a few feet before the hole, rolled up, hit the flag and knocked about about 6 inches left.

A few weeks ago at Brocket Hall, reaching the green with probably the best drive i've ever hit at 380 yards (yes the ground is hard but still got to have the right draw to get there). it was 30 degree heat, 27 holes but my team won the scramble in the morning and I came second in the afternoon with 38 points (got beat by a scratch woman!) - and I didn't score on the last three holes as threw up by the green of the 15th (probably sun stroke!).

Beating the Pro on a corp day at Hever, proper cocky sod, short par 3 (100 ish yards) hits his wedge to within about a foot of the whole, licks his finger and paints a one in the air and says 'beat that' - to which I did, gave him the wind up middle finger.

So thats all my good shots - wheres the thread for my 17,643 awful memories of shots?

Loving this - Val de Lobo - just wow! Played it 10 times never hit the green!

380 yard drive.... - off a cliff? ;-)
  • Zzzzzzz
  • Sponsored links:

• BR3red said:

Dad proper chuffed !!

Err, any highlights from your 20 year old ?

( Not the ones in his hair BTW)
    Yes...

After my 12 year old birdied the 6th. @Addickted2TheReds hit a 320 drive down the 7th and birdied it !

7th - Joe = Birdie
    Me = Birdie
    Oscar = par

Pretty buzzing as a family then !!!

Does it get much better at golf? Was amazing!
  • BR3red said:

Rob7Lee said:

Don't worry, think i've played it 10 times and hit the green maybe half. A few have hit the beach!

A good drive for me usually (to land) is about 260/70. I absolutely nailed it, reckon about 300/310 to land with a bit of draw so it just bounded on.
  • Rob7Lee said:

BR3red said:

Rob7Lee said:

Don't worry, think i've played it 10 times and hit the green maybe half. A few have hit the beach!

A good drive for me usually (to land) is about 260/70. I absolutely nailed it, reckon about 300/310 to land with a bit of draw so it just bounded on.
    Fair play - under 10 HC? I am 15 on a pretty good day ( today, which is probably why I started this thread!).
  • Golf. Spoils a good walk!

Pretty shit at it myself. My brother in law used to make me laugh, he loved cheating. I am the sort of person who really cannot see the point of taking something seriously that you are so inherently crap at and seriously enough to cheat, he was a bandit.

Love watching any Sunday of the biggies on TV though, they really have got the coverage just right nowadays, gripping stuff.
  • BR3red said:

Rob7Lee said:

BR3red said:

Rob7Lee said:

Fair play - under 10 HC? I am 15 on a pretty good day ( today, which is probably why I started this thread!).
    The last 10 years it's been predominantly corporate golf, maybe 6-8 rounds a year max, prior to that it was 50+ rounds a year, sometimes in summer 4/5 a week and got down to 9. I'm more 16-18 now but still have a good round in me, but very hit and miss, last two rounds playing off 18, 38 points and 16 points! I've had to slow my swing down but that last round it felt like 15 years ago so did start to open it up. I really should play more as still enjoy it.
  • Lol - 12 year old gutted as said crow nicked his crisps from our buggy!!
  • edited July 2018
    Lots of stories......just found a bag full of my score cards that I've kept from when I started playing in 1997 through to 2015.....litaraly hundreds of them. I've played dozens of top courses inc most of the ones on The Open rota (St Andrews, Royal Birkdale, St Georges & Carnoustie)

Problem is my official handicap never got lower than 18.......and that was at Barnehurst !! I was probably more like a 22 or 24 handicap at best & pleased if I broke 100 (proper rules mind you, even with mates - none of this "just drop it out of the bushes & say no more about it". Although the latter years a score around 90 was quite common.

Most memorable was probably a birdie on the par 3 10th at Wentworth. One that most rankles is that I had putts for consecutive pars on the 17th & 18th at St Andrews & bogyed them both.

Worst moments........teeing off the first at Collingtree & topping it 20 yards into a wall surrounding a busy putting green. Hitting the ladies tee markers & the ball rebounding behind me so that my 2nd shot was further from the hole than my original tee shot. I think my name should be Tin Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember having worse than normal shite round at Ruxley bottom course, about 12 hole, hadn't hit a decent tee shot all day, then pow, launched one, felt great and then looked up and it hit a seagull square on the head and went about 130yds.

A real Hamlet moment for me and the Seagull

It did get up and fly away although very groggily

Proper made me laugh !!!
  • I remember having worse than normal shite round at Ruxley bottom course, about 12 hole, hadn't hit a decent tee shot all day, then pow, launched one, felt great and then looked up and it hit a seagull square on the head and went about 130yds.

A real Hamlet moment for me and the Seagull

It did get up and fly away although very groggily

Best round at Ruxley was when I found £20 on the 18th fairway.......
  • I'm off 7 now. I play a fair bit - I'd say on average twice a week.

My best moment is playing v Wentworth in the Daily Mail team competition and shooting a 79 off the tips in March in the damp and winning my match.

7100 yards off the tips there.

I doubt I'll ever play better - especially as I was off 13 back then!
  • Think I only played 3 times, short 130yd uphill hole in one, thought can never beat that, never played again.
  • Two consecutive hole-in-ones at Bognor Regis crazy golf: aged 9

Hole-in-one at Danson Park: aged 13
  • Jeez Golfers are dull!
  • Hole in one at the 8th Birchwood ..... best round 90 whilst playing off 26. Got into MTB and golf has taken a back seat
  • Played the Twenty10 course at Celtic Manor exactly a month before the Ryder Cup....all the grandstands up etc.

Had a birdie at (I think) the par 4 8th.....tee shot, 5 iron to within 5 foot and holed the putt.

A few weeks later I watch and point out to anyone who would listen, any player who has a par or worse on the same hole ;)
  • About 20 years ago I played wollarton Park in Nottingham.
    One hole on the back 9 I was just about to play a 150 yard approach shot when a load of deer strolled across the fairway about 30 yards in front of me. They all went on their way apart from this huge stag who just stood staring at me.
    I found this pretty unnerving to say the least but With my playing partners hurrying me along I decided to take my shot, thinning a seven iron, sending the ball like a rocket straight into the side of the stag, dropping at his hooves. It didn’t move an inch and just kept staring at me.
    Needless to say my playing partners were hysterical with laughter. I got to within around 15 yards of the stag thinking I could shoo it away but it still stood firm. I wasn’t getting any closer so in the end scratched the hole.