Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD calling for Charlton Athletic fans to boycott Valley if takeover deal is not done by August 4

Comments

• Have been boycotting RD's regime since January 2016. It's horrible to know he's stolen these years of going to The Valley from me, but it's going to make that first game post-takeover so much sweeter. I think there'll be tears streaming down my cheeks as we sing 'we got our Charlton back'.
  • RDG said:

Have been boycotting RD's regime since January 2016. It's horrible to know he's stolen these years of going to The Valley from me, but it's going to make that first game post-takeover so much sweeter. I think there'll be tears streaming down my cheeks as we sing 'we got our Charlton back'.

I'll be wearing dark glasses the size of ambulance windows and I don't care the CL fashion police say. ;)
  • clb74 said:

Addickted said:

shine166 said:

The fact that many would have already bought season tickets makes boycotting a little difficult anyway. I'm sure there are some fans that have regretted buying their season tickets as they assumed that the takeover would have gone through by now, and they may well have added to the ranks of the boycotters. But, once your money is paid, it's then very difficult to not turn up.

The timing of this seems more than a little odd.

I just dont understand why people couldnt wait until he had left anyway.. If they had any intention of boycotting it makes no sense.
    Well some would buy a ST even if an evil dictator owned us, and they would still make excuses for them. Others just can't contain their excitement. I know people personally that bought their ST's when they were released because they got carried away with the takeover news and were hopeful of a new dawn. They are regretting it now and desperately want the takeover to go through, I guess in some part to justify their decision not to wait.

Ultimately, if someone is fixed on buying a ST, there is nothing in the world that will stop them.
    And I (and I’m sure all fans), would not deny them the right to do so.....each to their own.
    If only that were true. Just reading posts on this forum alone you can see that it's not the case :neutral:
    Disagree.

The vast majority of fans are respecting people individual decisions on whether to boycott or not.

I've seen no animosity from either side.
    This is our problem we are a split fan base.
    Nearly everyone is happy with what everyone else is doing but it leaves us split.
    Hadjuk.
  • clb74 said:

Addickted said:

shine166 said:

The fact that many would have already bought season tickets makes boycotting a little difficult anyway. I'm sure there are some fans that have regretted buying their season tickets as they assumed that the takeover would have gone through by now, and they may well have added to the ranks of the boycotters. But, once your money is paid, it's then very difficult to not turn up.

I just dont understand why people couldnt wait until he had left anyway.. If they had any intention of boycotting it makes no sense.
    Well some would buy a ST even if an evil dictator owned us, and they would still make excuses for them. Others just can't contain their excitement. I know people personally that bought their ST's when they were released because they got carried away with the takeover news and were hopeful of a new dawn. They are regretting it now and desperately want the takeover to go through, I guess in some part to justify their decision not to wait.

Ultimately, if someone is fixed on buying a ST, there is nothing in the world that will stop them.
    And I (and I’m sure all fans), would not deny them the right to do so.....each to their own.
    If only that were true. Just reading posts on this forum alone you can see that it's not the case :neutral:
    Disagree.

The vast majority of fans are respecting people individual decisions on whether to boycott or not.

This is our problem we are a split fan base.
    Nearly everyone is happy with what everyone else is doing but it leaves us split.
    Hadjuk.
    Bless you :wink: .
  • edited July 2018
    A boycott should of been called 2 seasons ago
  • clb74 said:

A boycott should of been called 2 seasons ago

Pretty sure it was.

Hating on CARD now is like hating on the Valley Party in the weeks leading up to our victory.

You didn’t back them in the early days, and now after so much hard work by ALL fans (CARD included), you’re saying they’re not doing enough?
  • I just can't see an end, utter manaic in charge, non understandable objectives, happy to do his absolute best to kill a club based on some obscure motive no one understands.

He is unworkable with, and these poor Aussies have no idea how to wrestle the club free bar pay 50 million quid.

Getting all bills down to zero is his new strategy, utter nightmare.

No movement, no hope, league 2 here we come, it'll be worth it though to get rid of him.
  • edited July 2018

Addickted said:

shine166 said:

Disagree.

Then I am afraid you haven't read the thread carefully in the last 48 hours (although I know you might have a good excuse for that).

Most of the animosity seems, quite rightly aimed at the trust, rather than individual fans.
  • In any normal business these sorts of petty, desperate cost cutting measures never work. If its got to that point the situation is terminal.

Roland could make a much bigger saving by ridding himself of the Chief Operating Officer's salary and pension costs rather than making everybody sit in the dark or buy their own pens.
  • Sponsored links:

• If he is not on holiday anyway Eddie Stobart does his last day of the week today, I hear a brave employee will then turn on a light to find the switch for the fan against the heat and risk instant dismissal by Cojones by charging their phone.
    They might get away with it by wearing their stinking unwashed 'uniform' to prevent Cojones lingering by them.
  • Those saying support the team, what team? Just like the rest of the staff it has been decimated. I've said for a while boycotting is likely the only thing that will really force his hand.

I understand why some are getting angry at this, but call it for what it is. Those people don't want to give up social time with friends/family. That's absolutely fine, I completely understand that but don't start lashing out and hiding behind false justifications.
  • edited July 2018

Addickted said:

shine166 said:

Disagree.

Then I am afraid you haven't read the thread carefully in the last 48 hours (although I know you might have a good excuse for that).

Most of the animosity seems, quite rightly aimed at the trust, rather than individual fans.
    Why is that 'quite rightly'?
  • With the news regarding the cost cutting measures, it has expunged one myth put out by some non- boycotters. Namely that witholding monies from RD makes little or no difference.

I am almost tempted to trawl old posts to "name and shame", but on second thoughts I realise I am getting grumpy because of the ongoing situation -)
  • Exactly Peter, an empty stadium will hurt far more than a any of the other protests, sadly will never happen though.
  • Don't blame anyone for still going to matches or for actively boycotting. I've no idea whether calling for a boycott is the right thing to do. However I don't think it will make any real difference in practice, it's a symbolic gesture. It might help our cause, it might play into RD's hands- no-one can know with any certainty.

As others have said it's important that we don't turn on each other and stay united. We're all Charlton fans after all and at some point we'll need to play our part in rebuilding the club when RD has eventually gone. Hopefully we'll still have our ground and be in L1. When RD has gone most of us will be back even if we're non league and ground sharing with Welling.
  • Strikes me that even if you've bought your season ticket you can still get on board with a 'not a penny more' policy. Play your part and all that.
  • I dont go along with boycott now,we should all meet outside valley with no tickets send some in to open gates/fire exits and storm in,turn all the lights on,and have a protest in stadium.
  • JamesSeed said:

Addickted said:

shine166 said:

Disagree.

I think it's been gone over a few times already by others, their latest statement completely undermines CARDs position, without any consultation with their membership, that, imo is wrong and unfair to CARD.

• Sponsored links:

• With the penny pinching going on down at The Valley due to RD's instructions to me that shows that those withholding their money and spending nowt at Charlton have made a difference and it has hurt the twunt of an owner .
    all this me buying this that or the other wont make a difference to our gazillionaire owner i believe is wrong because it is hitting him where it hurts the tight git is feeling the squeeze !!

Agreed starving RD of income would clearly now hurt him while the penny pinching is going on.

But I disagree on this working since the start. It's only now while he's running the club as tight as possible a #notapennymore approach can work.
  • So, supposing everybody did boycott the Valley, ST holders included, would that be the sort of material change or event that could scupper any exiting takeover that was going on, or simply cause the due diligence to be refreshed and negotiations to start all over again ?
  • SE7toSG3 said:

No, I think it would piss off Duchatalet and make me as a boycotter feel better, nothing else.

I suppose the lack of attendees could drop the average teperature in the ground to such a low that the prospective buyer may contract hypethermia, die, the deal collapses and we end up keeping Duchatalet or some other such hypothetical bollocks but.....overall no I dont think boycotting does either of the above as I am boycotting until a takeover, thats all.

Good man.

#notapennymore
  • Did the Trust board agree with CARD's statement as of the 12th April this year when they urged fans not to buy 2018/2019 season tickets while Du Chat away remained owner of Charlton Athletic?
  • razil said:

Would be great if we could disagree without some of the undertones above

In balance I am a huge fan of what CARD have done, how we could have used all that creativity and energy when we started the Trust but I do of course appreciate that those were different times and perhaps the need wasn’t as urgent.

“The Day the Sofa died” is up there with some of my greatest memories as a Charlton fan, with the destruction of that symbol of Meire’s ambivalence, commercial petty bullshit and gross misunderstanding of things CAFC - better words needed but you know what I mean. CARD (and others) gave us a reason to be proud again.

Don't think CARD killed the sofa but it was a brave and hugely symbolic act that should be marked in some way. : - )
  • So, supposing everybody did boycott the Valley, ST holders included, would that be the sort of material change or event that could scupper any exiting takeover that was going on, or simply cause the due diligence to be refreshed and negotiations to start all over again ?

Remember when people were worried that protesting could put off any potential buyers. Well see that outcome and apply it to your question.
  • edited July 2018

JamesSeed said:

Addickted said:

shine166 said:

Disagree.

I think it's been gone over a few times already by others, their latest statement completely undermines CARDs position, without any consultation with their membership, that, imo is wrong and unfair to CARD.

Does it REALLY matter.....they are two different groups and both entitled to have differing views, just like all of us.
    For the life of me I cannot understand the shit storm some people are stirring up........I say again, does it REALLY matter that much?
    My guess is that there are few people who give a toss about this issue.....it’s so minor in the scheme of things!
    “Completely undermines CARD’s position”..... oh do me a favour!