Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro under-19s

For anyone worried about missing international football when the World Cup finishes, the Euro under-19 tournament starts in Finland next week. Should be a good chance to see some of the players that can help the full team push on for success in Euro 2020 and the Qatar World Cup two years later.

Hopefully the tournament and our players get a lot of coverage and support.

Comments

• desperation.

na, sorry. do you know who's covering this? eurosport?
  • Interesting that there's no Spain, Germany or Holland in this tournament.

We're in a group with France, Turkey and Ukraine and if we qualify out of the group we automatically then qualify for the 2019 U20 World cup in Poland.
  • desperation.

https://www.uefa.com/under19/news/newsid=2564586.html?iv=true
  • desperation.

https://www.uefa.com/under19/news/newsid=2564586.html?iv=true
    shame I haven't got sky.

I see that Israel have a channel called 'Charlton'
  • Do England get many fans going to these tournaments and the Under 21s, etc or is it mainly just family members and friends?
  • Have we any players in it? AMB perhaps, after all the Ozzies are in Eurovision.
  • According to the below squads havent been selected yet.

Our 1st game is in 5 days WTF lol

https://www.uefa.com/under19/season=2018/teams/team=300039/index.html
  • The likes of Foden will likely be blocked by managers - who in Peps case - will want him to play in their opening games with the WC boys not ready
  • edited July 2018
    We seem to be quite strict about not selecting players above their age group. Not sure why. So doubt I think our promising youngsters will be passed over. Not sure we have any decent 18yo players.

As an aside, anyone know where is Umerah? Not released like Hanlan I believe but not in squad at QPR.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018

We seem to be quite strict about not selecting players above their age group. Not sure why. So doubt I think our promising youngsters will be passed over. Not sure we have any decent 18yo players.

As an aside, anyone know where is Umerah? Not released like Hanlan I believe but not in squad at QPR.

In the last few years there seems to be a real concerted effort to keep groups of players together as they progress through the youth ranks, so they'll do U17 Euros and World Cup, U19 Euros, U20 World Cup, then U21 Euros. So that group that won the U20 World Cup was made up of a lot of players who'd won the U17 Euros in 2014 (I think), minus some unavailable due to club commitment (the likes of Brown, Roberts, and Gomez). And that now makes up the core of the group who will look to be playing in the U21 Euros next year.
  • And now we turn our attention to the defending champions England.

Tournament starts tomorrow.
  • Hope all the patriotic England fans show an interest in it!
  • edited July 2018
    Is it on Eurosport? (According to SkyBet it’s being shown on Sky Sports)
  • Is it on Eurosport? (According to SkyBet it’s being shown on Sky Sports)

England games on sky not sure about rest
  • Still can't see any information about the squad and the first game is tomorrow. Presumably the players know!
  • Below is those that were called up for the Qualifying round back in March so guess it could be much the same

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_national_under-19_football_team#Players
  • Shame that Foden / Sancho arent playing although guess it gives them the summer off

What the feck happened to George Hirst though??? - He was tipped to join one of the big clubs here in England as refused to sign a new Contract at Sheffield Wednesday yet has gone to Leuven!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• FA technical director Dan Ashworth added: “It’s bitterly disappointing that, once again, this tournament is scheduled outside a FIFA window which forces clubs to make such difficult decisions."

Would assume from that, that we weren't allowed to pick the likes of Sancho and Foden.

Why couldn't the competition take place from mid May?
  • FA technical director Dan Ashworth added: “It’s bitterly disappointing that, once again, this tournament is scheduled outside a FIFA window which forces clubs to make such difficult decisions."

Would assume from that, that we weren't allowed to pick the likes of Sancho and Foden.

Why couldn't the competition take place from mid May?

Competition ends on 29th July

The Bundesliga (Sancho) doesnt start till the end of August whilst the Premier League (Foden) starts on the 10th

Its not sides will suffer in their preparation for the new season by being without their youth player, plus it means they get a good pre-season just in a different environment outside of their clubs
  • Anyone watching it? We're one nil down to Turkey at the moment.
  • The tempo of the game is painfully slow compared to the World Cup. I am not looking forward to watching league one football again.
  • I like the fact that they're playing the exact same formation as the senior side.
  • It’s pleasing to see all the England players are happy to collect the ball in dangerous position and aren’t afraid to get their foot on the ball and play.

Every time, I have seen Trevor Chalobah play I am convinced he will make it to the top. Class player.

2-1 England
  • Agreed. He’s good on the ball, has a good range of passing and is very comfortable bringing the ball out from the back. It'll be interesting to see how he'll get on at Ipswich this season.

A very long way off i know but he'll be 23 in Qatar so would not be surprised to see him in our defence.
  • 3-2 England now, decent game.
  • 3-2 FT.

Good win and puts us in a strong position to qualify with Ukraine next up.