Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best Lager? Beer snobs use your own thread!

1234568»

Comments

• Saga Lout said:

cafcbrown said:

Got 2 bottles of Fischer in the fridge for tomorrow night. That's a nice Strasbourgian lager (biere blonde)

Do they still have the pop tops like you get on bottles of Grolsch ? Decent drop is Fischer
    Yes they do. I was gonna say that they come in a Grosch bottle.

We use the empties as candle holders in the garden
    Do you recall the time when people (not me of course) used to attach Grolsch tops to their shoes!
    The rubber washers are very handy to hold your strap on.
  • Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

Tenants Extra and Tenants Super were the draught lagers in the old Natwest Staff Bar in Old Broad St back in the late 80's / early 90's

Tenants Super on draught? Really? Are you sure it wasn't just Tenants and Tenants Extra? Super was over 8% ABV.
    They love it abroad. I once had Tenants Scotch in Italy, stronger than Super. Around 12% I think.
  • edited July 2018
    Amazed that nobody has championed 'wife beater'. Can we make this a members only thread?
  • Amazed that nobody has championed 'wife beater'. Can we make this a members only thread?

Riviera said:

Lager is beer FFS! Stupid thread title.

I only like "lagers" over here that are imported and there is not many of them anymore. Many are manufactured under licence from the owners here in the UK, eg Carlsberg, San Miguel, Fosters and sadly now Stella Artois.
    Stella in it's pomp was 5.4% and far and away my favorite. Not on draught as that was made by Whitbread/Interbrew etc but the cans that your local corner shop imported in from the French booze warehouses. 500ml and beautiful.
    Stella UK now is 4.8% and I just can't find anywhere that imports it anymore.
    Heineken is very good these days, 5% and a real clear, crisp taste. This is because Heineken executives were horrified at what Whitbread/Interbrew had done with their beer and made the decision to only make it themselves in the Netherlands.
    However my favorite now is Peroni Reserve, Double Malt and comes in at a heady 6.6%. Only in bottles but from Italy.
    Quite partial to a couple of very cold cans of the stronger Polish beers too.

Not just me, plenty of support over the eight pages.
  • edited July 2018
    An ice cold can of Red Stripe goes down a dream.
  • edited July 2018
    Apologies. 240 posts and I missed that one.

On sadly departed lagers, does anyone remember Lamot? I used to imbibe at my works sports club and have probably lost a year of my life with no memory of how I got home.
  • Apologies. 240 posts and I missed that one.

On sadly departed lagers, does anyone remember Lamot? I used to imbibe at my works sports club and have probably lost a year of my life with no memory of how I got home.

Plenty of support for Stella on here.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Do they still sell Rolling Rock?

Blimey that's a throwback to uni days, with the Bran Van 3000 song on the advert
  • charltonJ said:

Another one for Red Stripe here
  • Red stripe reminds me of gigs at Brixton Academy
  • Sponsored links:

• Pilsner Urquell, especially from the tank. There are a few places in London that have it in the copper tanks, it comes by train from Plzen. It is truly the king of draught lagers.
    Budvar is a nice company, but they add sugar. It will give you a hangover. Staropramen is a joke, and most of my Czech friends agree. So is Krusovice. Bernard is a good smaller brewery.
    When it comes to Germany, I have discovered that I much prefer Saxony beers, which are close to Plzen, than Bavarian. Also some of the beers from the north, Jever in particular, and the two breweries from Rügen Island, Storebecker, and the other one, but they have many varieties which will be to individual taste.
    PU beats the lot. When I get home tomorrow I will wander round to my local with my two litre bottle, and they will fill it up from the tap for me, and I will bring it home for the match. It will cost me £6. I am truly blessed

Thumbs up for Jever. Also a fan of Krombacher and Konig Pilsner. Not many bad German 'lagers' in all honesty (mainly due to their traditional brewing techniques I think?).

Been a few mentions for Jupiler in this thread as well. Can get it on draft here in Norwich in 'The Belgian Monk' beer 'restaurant'.
  • Had a pint of Bernard in the Pivney pub in York recently, very nice beer.

Also in York had a Pivovar in the Tap pub in the railway station
  • Avoid any drink with excess gas whether lager or not. Discovered Cobra at the local Indian and found that less gassy and very drinkable than most bottled beer, unless it's the effect of the curry.

Some of us were unfortunate enough to start drinking when brewers sold us nothing but Watneys Red Barrel and its imitators which might explain the aversion to fizz.

Interested to learn names of draught lagers from regular drinkers so will give them a try. Just started trying out different ciders which are less gassy and go down a treat in hot weather, and amazed at the alcohol levels you can get.
  • Danepak said:

Huskaris said:

Quite like Jupiler.

Went to a Belgian pub in Auckland a couple of months ago. Had Stella on tap. As expected. Then the Jupiler. Wow! Delicious. Maybe not the best beer in the world, but would happily drink it all night. Scrumptious.
    This the place just off queen st @Danepak ?
  • ..and who hasn't delighted in the Japanese delight which is Bilk.
    Beer made with milk.
    I think we can close this thread now.
  • Jupiler - from belgium.
  • charltonJ said:

You don't find the can gets stuck in your throat then?
  • edited July 2018
    As someone who suffers badly with hangovers I had a serious sesh in the Ukraine back in 2009 and felt okay the next day (rare) - it was called Obolon and i’d love to track some down.

@Riviera can you just explain in simple terms to me why the same drink can taste so different in draught, bottle or can? And why it seems a lot of people say “but only out of a bottle”

Cheers.
  • Maybe Obolon means alcohol free?
  • Tried one called flat tire... That one was okay.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cobra, ice cold
  • Dazzler21 said:

Tried one called flat tire... That one was okay.

Wasn't a let down then?
  • 3 pints of this glided down my throat very well last night.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Tried one called flat tire... That one was okay.

I think it's called Fat Tire. It describes itself as a "Belgian Style" but is actually American. You see it a lot in US Supermarkets.
  • iaitch said:

Had a pint of Bernard in the Pivney pub in York recently, very nice beer.

Also in York had a Pivovar in the Tap pub in the railway station

@iaitch both run by the same people

Got a few places in London as well (amongst other cities)
  • Quite like a drop of Paulaner
  • Whitstable Bay Lager is lovely, especially on draught.
  • San Miguel Special - £1.49 for 660ml bottle in Aldi. No wonder so many pubs are going out of business.