Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA Nations League

2»

Comments

• cafctom said:

All sounds very straight forward....

Is even more straight forward if all sides from Division A Qualify via. the Standard route as means the Play-Off slots for Division A will need to be filled by teams from the other Divisions
  • With 24 countries reaching Euro 2020, you have to especially rubbish to not reach the finals, whether through qualifying or the Nations League!

It'll be a strange tournament as it's spread across Europe, 7 games at Wembley (including the semis and final), 3 at Hampden, 3 in Dublin.
  • Clear as mud

• With 24 countries reaching Euro 2020, you have to especially rubbish to not reach the finals, whether through qualifying or the Nations League!

It'll be a strange tournament as it's spread across Europe, 7 games at Wembley (including the semis and final), 3 at Hampden, 3 in Dublin.

Helloooo Scotland.
  • edited July 12
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

Well explained by the BBC here.

"As you may have deduced from that video, the structure of the play-offs means that one nation from each tier will claim a finals place. So one of Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino or Gibraltar will qualify for a major tournament."
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

"As you may have deduced from that video, the structure of the play-offs means that one nation from each tier will claim a finals place. So one of Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino or Gibraltar will qualify for a major tournament."

May not be great as a spectacle but no worse thsn Panama being at The World Cup and will be great for the country itself if a Belarus or a Georgia make a major tournament

So the whole exercise will be taken most seriously by the worst teams. Indeed for teams in the bottom 2 sections this is a far more likely way to qualify than the normal group stage of qualifying, so isn't there a risk that teams might rest players for the qualifiers and instead play their best teams in this?
  • edited July 12

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

So the whole exercise will be taken most seriously by the worst teams. Indeed for teams in the bottom 2 sections this is a far more likely way to qualify than the normal group stage of qualifying, so isn't there a risk that teams might rest players for the qualifiers and instead play their best teams in this?
    No I don't think so as the two do not directly overlap. Nations League will be done by November this year (for 39 out of 55 countries) with the exception of the semi finals and final in the summer of 2019 for the other sixteen teams.

Qualifiers start in March next year.
  • One part that I do like is that it's going to guarantee a 'big' international final every summer rather than having a couple of pointless June friendlies.

2018 World Cup
    2019 Nations League
    2020 Euro
    2021 Nations League
    2022 World Cup

And so on.
  • Sponsored links:

No I don't think so as the two do not directly overlap. Nations League will be done by November this year (for 39 out of 55 countries) with the exception of the semi finals and final in the summer of 2019 for the other sixteen teams.

Qualifiers start in March next year.
    Yes, looking at the fixtures we have Nations League AND 2 friendlies in the autumn (Switzerland and USA). Strange to not be playing a qualifying match for another 8 months
  • One part that I do like is that it's going to guarantee a 'big' international final every summer rather than having a couple of pointless June friendlies.

2018 World Cup
    2019 Nations League
    2020 Euro
    2021 Nations League
    2022 World Cup

And so on.

Dont forget the confed.
  • Or the Asian Cup eh Paulie?
  • And Copa America
  • African Cup of Nations

2018 World Cup
    2019 Nations League
    2020 Euro
    2021 Nations League
    2022 World Cup

And so on.

Though ridiculously, there will be a 3rd place playoff match for the losing semi finalists!
  • TBF WSS It might not mean much to you but tbe Confed does mean something to most countries.

Only tournament winners and next world cup hosts in it,

Its a nice build up to World Cup the following year.

I would love to win it.

And its still a big international final which callum was talking about.

So no need for your snide comment like I was talkimg about a small competitin that noone cares about

2018 World Cup
    2019 Nations League
    2020 Euro
    2021 Nations League
    2022 World Cup

And so on.

Dont forget the confed.
    There has been talk of the Confederations Cup being scrapped and replaced by larger Club World Cup

2018 World Cup
    2019 Nations League
    2020 Euro
    2021 Nations League
    2022 World Cup

And so on.

Dont forget the confed.
    Silly me!
  • TBF WSS It might not mean much to you but tbe Confed does mean something to most countries.

Only tournament winners and next world cup hosts in it,

Its a nice build up to World Cup the following year.

I would love to win it.

And its still a big international final which callum was talking about.

So no need for your snide comment like I was talkimg about a small competitin that noone cares about

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-fifa/story/3246844/expanded-club-world-cup-could-replace-confederations-cup-infantino