Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Croatia

Comments

• Why did Henderson come off?

He didn't fancy taking another penalty.
  • If nothing else it's nice to wake up after an England defeat and not have to read about running battles with the police whether in Russia or here...
  • edited July 2018
    There is a story on this morning.
    Dealing with post match heartbreak with Vanessa Feltz.

People calling up saying they are really down what can i do.

And my kid is to upset to go to school.

WTF, these are clearly not even football fans as real football fans know heartbreak is part of the game, you feel shit for a while then u get over it.

No need to call up this morning and ask what to do.
  • There is a story on this morning.

WTF, these are clearly not even football fans as real football fans know heartbreak is part of the game, you feel shit for a while then u get over it.

It's daytime TV, Paulie - it exists purely to air the crap it does.
  • There is a story on this morning.

Is she telling everyone to stuff their face?
    If so, I'm assuming she's had a lot of heartache in her life!
  • bobmunro said:

Exactly. Yesterday i saw a link online to a genuine tv spot about a 'mystic pig' which could correctly predict world cup matches. It picked England. Yeah that worked well.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

Speaking through it at work, and someone made the good point that we seem to be confusing the strength of the team and the favourability of the draw.

People are saying that this team wipes the floor with the so called 'golden generation' but the team with Rooney, Owen, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard etc never got a draw like this lot did.

I do wonder what the Japan 2002 side for instance would have done had they got Sweden and Croatia instead of Brazil in the quarters.

The less said about the "golden generation" today, the better. This new group put them to shame with their team spirit and application.
    The 98 team certainly had a real togetherness... They also had an equally easy group - Almost Identically Tunisia, Romania and Colombia.

We were very unfortunate to go out to Argentina. If Beckham hadn't been sent off it wouldn't have been unrealistic for us to go on and get another goal.

The quality we had was vastly better in every position.

Seaman
    G Neville Adams Campbell Anderton
    Beckham Ince Le Saux Scholes
    Owen Shearer.

(Beckham 47 OFF)
    (Southgate for Le Saux 70)
    (Merson for Scholes 78)
    (Batty for Anderton 96)
    We did get another goal from Sol Campbell - which was disallowed. I don’t think there was togetherness either. Hoddle cause md uproar by leaving Gazza at home, and picked David Batty (who was allowed to take a penalty having never taken one in a game) instead - He also left Beckham (out best chance of decent set piece delivery) out for the first 2 games, then had to go running to him in the 3rd Group game, and surprise surprise Beckham delivered.......this after a complete shit show against Romania in the 2nd group game.
  • bobmunro said:

Exactly. Yesterday i saw a link online to a genuine tv spot about a 'mystic pig' which could correctly predict world cup matches. It picked England. Yeah that worked well.
    Just as I was about to give up bacon sandwiches.
  • Somewhere in a parallel universe I am buzzing, making plans for Sunday (including beer for breakfast).

That's what has got me more. Not so much the prospect of winning the thing but simply the occasion of knowing your country is in the world cup final!
  • Possible team for the Euros:

Pickford
    Trippier
    New LB
    Gomez
    Stones
    Maguire
    Henderson
    New CM (Winks?)
    Lingard
    New Attacking Mid / Or the Man City version of Sterling
    Kane

Pickford
    Trippier
    Sessegnon
    Gomez
    Stones
    Maguire
    Henderson
    Foden
    Lingard
    Sancho
    Kane

Also have players like Lewis Cook, Tom Davies, Winks, Loftus-Cheek, Lookman, Solanke, Brewster, Reece Oxford, Hudson-Odoi. Plenty of great talent coming through and reasons to think this can be the start of something good and not just a one-off miracle tournament.
    The problem with all these youngsters is that they have to play regularly and train and practice hard and not be diverted by money and other things - we have something of a recurring problem with young players not developing to their full potential - and one good summer at the World Cup does not amount to a whole flock (or whatever they are) of swallows.
  • If nothing else it's nice to wake up after an England defeat and not have to read about running battles with the police whether in Russia or here...

I suspect the Russian OMON are quite disappointed.
  • Speaking through it at work, and someone made the good point that we seem to be confusing the strength of the team and the favourability of the draw.

People are saying that this team wipes the floor with the so called 'golden generation' but the team with Rooney, Owen, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard etc never got a draw like this lot did.

I do wonder what the Japan 2002 side for instance would have done had they got Sweden and Croatia instead of Brazil in the quarters.

Thats a fiar enough point.

I thibk what people are saying when they say they prefer this side to the golden generation is that we now have a team playing a system and being greater than the sum of the parts. Previously we had 11 individuals who didn't work well together and consistently pitting in performances way below the level they did for their clubs.

I know which version I prefer.
  • I'm feeling all optimistic about the Euros now.

Think we can stick 2 players straight in for that one who we know will be ready - Gomez for Walker and Sessegnon for Young / Rose.

If one or both of Sancho and Lookman are still tearing up the Bundesliga then we may have other options further up the pitch for then as well.

If we get someone in the midfield who can put their foot on the ball - then summer after next could be a good one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chances like that to get to a World Cup Final come along once in a lifetime .
    It’s been a great World Cup due to the fact the big guns were shit and it became a lot easier for us in the half we were in .
    I’m not in the exceeded expectations camp because I believed before it started there wasn’t much opposition out there and once Spain left our half the final is where we should have got to .
    That was weak last night, after a great first half , we just weren’t at it .
    France have been the best team and will win it but it should have been us in the final
    Sooooooooo gutted .

Why did Henderson come off?

We missed him. Dier is good at stopping others but he's never going to create chances or drive the team forwards.
    Massively. No surprise in the two games he's come off or changed position we have struggled.
    And Sterling. 1-0 up against Colombia when he went off. 1-1 with Croatia when he went off.
    Sterling's performance last night confirmed why he's been playing over Rashford!!

Whenever we had the ball at the back, the Croatian attack would harry us and ensure that we rushed our passes making sure we didnt have time on the ball and so forced us to lump it forwards - Sterling would do that at the other end of the pitch, staying on the shoulder of the Croatia back line which meant he was constantly running on to the ball

Rashford on the other hand didnt seem to run for the ball unless he knew he could get it and would always drop deep so rather making their defence chase after him, he dropped to get the ball which allowed the Centre-Backs to just sit deep and force him to try and get through them with the ball... Something that he (1) Couldnt do (2) Barely tried to do as in Extra Time he ran into the box with the ball, had an hand put on his chest and bloody stopped!!
    Rashford has been poor in this World Cup and offered nothing last night.
    Yeah people have been calling for him all World Cup to start yet going by his Belgium / Croatia performances I can see why Southgate didnt use him for longer
  • Speaking through it at work, and someone made the good point that we seem to be confusing the strength of the team and the favourability of the draw.

I thibk what people are saying when they say they prefer this side to the golden generation is that we now have a team playing a system and being greater than the sum of the parts. Previously we had 11 individuals who didn't work well together and consistently pitting in performances way below the level they did for their clubs.

They would only have themselves to blame though. In 2010 we met Germany after finishing runners up to USA, we drew 0-0 with Algeria and beat Slovenia 1-0.

The "golden generation" massively underachieved. I've absolutely loved watching this breed and that hasn't been the way for me for a long time
  • edited July 2018
    This opportunity may have come 4 years too early for a young team but it may not come again. We are due another WC semi final in about 2038.

They would only have themselves to blame though. In 2010 we met Germany after finishing runners up to USA, we drew 0-0 with Algeria and beat Slovenia 1-0.

The "golden generation" massively underachieved. I've absolutely loved watching this breed and that hasn't been the way for me for a long time
    And in 2002 if we'd have won the group it could have been Senegal and then Turkey (before losing to Brazil anyway!).
  • Dejan Lovren post match interview:

"I took Liverpool to the final of the Champions League. Now with my national team we are in the final.

"I think people should recognise that I am also one of the best defenders in the world and not just talk nonsense."

In fairness he does do well on occasions, his clearance to prevent Kane getting there to head home a cross last night was brilliant, but he's fucking deluded if he thinks that either Liverpool or Croatia's final appearances were in any way down to him.
  • edited July 2018
    Sessegnon and Foden must be in the next squad.
    Back to last night.

Plan A last night was to play long balls to utilize the pace of Sterling and show the weakness of the Croatian back line.
    So far so good BUT perversely the early goal from another set piece just made the opposition push forward more and even though Croatia were average first half the 20 back passes to Pickford showed a negativity when we should have been exposing the limitations of Lovren and co at the back.
    The 'coming home ' back fired big time when Croatia realized that Harry Kane wasn't sharp and Sterling and Lingard are profligate when they see the goal in an England shirt.

Semi finalist is a great leap forward But our weakness are still stark. When we play better sides like Croatia we are out passed over 90 or 120 minutes.
    From the start of the second half it felt a penalty shootout was our best chance of a result.
    John Stones who had a good tournament made two mistakes, one leading to a goal and one hitting the post.

Plan B was ? Well difficult because just like against Iceland the wheels still come off.
    Mental fatigue more than anything seem to affect English players.

A goal scoring attacking player to help Kane and a midfield ball player to make crisp passes when under pressure is needed.

We would have gone out to Brazil in the Quarters instead of the semi in this half.

Progress but a long way to go.