Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

what hurts more - 1990 or 2018 ?

I have seen a few comments saying 90 felt worst but for some reason I feel this one more.

In 90 I was only 19, so had fewer tournament disappointments behind me, we had reached the QF the previous tourny,it seemed that QF/SF territory was the norm and only cheating Argies,penalties, or Peter Shilton could prevent us from winning the trophy soon, we saw the emergence of Gazza and Platt. We had a right go in the Semi and 'only' lost on penalties to the Germans.

In 2018 had no real expectations, had easy group, had dream path to the final, had countries falling over themselves to clear the way for us to get to the there, had another 28 years of failure tantalizingly close to being erased.
Apart from first 35 mins this was an awful performance. We didnt play. We had no plan B.
Make no mistake, this tournament was there for the taking. We blew it. I have no confidence this group can kick on and improve that much - this was their time, their chance and they couldnt take it and it hurts.

Maybe in weeks to come, I will feel different, but at the moment this hurts more to me

Comments

• 1990 by a mile.
  • 90 didn't hurt at all as I was 2.

This has me feeling a little sad, but is the one side I have felt proud of for giving it everything they had, every game.

• They gave their all but as a group they are a bit limited and this golden chance will unlikely be offered to them in future tournaments. We need a couple of world class players to emerge for us to kick on imo
  • edited July 2018
    This one because I wasn't bloody alive for the first!

Best England performance at a World Cup in my 25 year life time.
  • 1990 we had a very good team; proven winners, a great goalscorer, play maker, goalie, fantastic defence, terrific exciting wingers.

Lineker vs Kane
    Gascoigne vs Henderson
    Shilton vs Pickford
    Walker/Butcher/Wright vs Walker/Stones/Maguire
    Waddle and Anderton vs Sterling and Lingard

It was a much better team (you would pick the 1990 version as better in every case above!), and the expectation was therefore high. To lose as we did on penalties was horrible.

This year, we are a young side, with lots of potential, who exceeded expectation. OK, they played poorly for the last 3/4's of the game, but let's not knock them just yet. They did us proud! Shout it loud!
  • Funnily losing to Iceland in 2016 hurt more than defeat against Croatia (Didnt see the 1990 game)

Said it once we beat Sweden on Saturday that whatever happened Southgate had beaten the target that had been set for him prior to the World Cup (dont believe in the target changing as the Tournament progresses) so a win against Croatia would have been a bonus

Not to mention the way the game went last night I felt that at Half-Time we were going to be made to rue our chances

Iceland on the other hand was a game I felt we should have won yet went straight out without a whimper

I was only 11 in italia 90 and at the time just assumed there would be many more latter stage appearances at tournaments. 28 years later that hasn't been the case and last night was as good a chance as we might ever get again to reach a final.
  • 1990, because of the higher expectations of the team (we could/should have won the WC) and we lost to The Hun.

I think many of us knew that in reality this team was being built for the next Euros and World Cup, not this one, also lets be honest Croatia was the first really decent team we faced, that said we were 25 minutes from a world cup final. Not disappointed , just very proud and also surprised how well they all did.
    What has been great is this divided country has been united, albeit for a short while, during this great summer, and from a personal perspective, it been lovely for all the Greenie Juniors to understand what its like to support an England team that gave us a great run in a WC, having listened to me wittering on over the years about 1990.
  • Sponsored links:

Hoped we'd win this year but didn't really expect to. In 1990 convinced we'd win.
  • 1990 for all the reasons already stated

• 1990, for reasons others have said, plus it was the bloody Germans, again. The expectations were higher, and I really wanted Bobby Robson to be able to lift that trophy and shove it up the arses of those journalist twats who had been slagging him off pre tournament. And of course there is nothing harder to take than penalties.
  • I can't remember how I felt in 1990, but can remember the crushing disappointment after Euro 96. In both of those we went out on penalties having played really well in the match, which is an awful way to go out, AND we would have been favourites for the final.

Last night we were beaten on the night, so while really disappointing, it doesn't feel so "unfair". The final would have been a tough match too
  • edited July 2018
    For those who are older, what were the tournament expectations going into 1990, especially coming off the back of Euro 88 where we were dreadful and lost every game.

I don't remember us being particularly great. Egypt were the only side we beat in 90 minutes, scraped past Belgium and then we needed 2 penalties to beat Cameroon.
  • This hurts more at the moment, because it's now. 1990 hurt more overall though because of the greater expectation.
  • edited July 2018
    1990 by a long way.

1996 and 2006 both hurt more than last night.
  • 1990 because I thought we could win it. 2018 has been more of an adventure. At no stage did I really expect it us to win. I don't think we would have beaten France, to be honest.

On the negative side, if we lose to Belgium in the Third Place Match, our record will be 3 wins, 1 draw (if you exclude penalties) and 3 defeats. We have performed to FIFA rankings in games except for Croatia who are ranked lower than us.

On the positive side, we have found a team that looks as though it wants to play together with no big egos. I really hope this team goes on from here. If any of these players get too big for their boots, I hope Southgate has the strength to leave them out. Two or three of younger players probably need to progress from impressive young international footballers to world class international footballers, but it's a damn good start.
  • Having just paid (another) £200 for a 12hr flight home this afternoon via Cyprus and having had 2hrs sleep, definitely this one.

I fear we’ll never get a better chance.
  • 1990 really hurt me, 1996 and 98 were awful as well. This one more annoyed me as a few have said we should have put that game to bed by half time

90, 96 and 98 we were looking genuine quality sides in the eye and exchanging blows. If you watch the replay of Gazza in 90 and 96 where the ball comes back to him off the post on 90 and is slashed across the goal in 96 I'm sure he will reach it one day

We don't really have a right to be disappointed because expectation levels were on the floor leading into this tournament whereas the others we were contenders, however itndont work like that! We had to take advantage of ripping them a new one in the first half and we would be on cloud 9 now.

90 was more sad, just!
  • Sponsored links:

• 90 was far worse for me. I was 18 and full of hope.
    96 was the worst of all though. I wondered how I would get through the weary remainder of life.
  • 1990, those penalties and the fact that it was Germany. Also I was a lot younger, the last few years of watching us struggle and England failures have battle hardened me to the point where I was delighted with how far we went. Onwards and upwards
  • For those who are older, what were the tournament expectations going into 1990, especially coming off the back of Euro 88 where we were dreadful and lost every game.

I don't remember us being particularly great. Egypt were the only side we beat in 90 minutes, scraped past Belgium and then we needed 2 penalties to beat Cameroon.

I don't remember super high expectations, and the successful formation we ended up with (3 at the back) only came in part of the way through the tournament.
  • Too young to remember 1990. 2002 was the one that hurt me. Had we beaten Brazil we would have played Turkey in the semi final and Germany who we had beaten 5-1 8 months earlier.
  • don't remember 1990 but for me 98 hurt more. probably because I was younger but also the way we lost in 98 was a lot harder to take than this years.
  • 1990. That still hurts now and I get sad when I see Sir Bobby hugging Gazza at the end telling him his got his whole career in front of him. Proper choker.
  • Can't say I'm particularly 'hurt' by either.

Much as I would have loved for us to get to the final I can't say that it took me more than a few seconds to move on.

Important Charlton defeats have a more lasting effect on me.
  • MrOneLung said:

I have seen a few comments saying 90 felt worst but for some reason I feel this one more.

In 90 I was only 19, so had fewer tournament disappointments behind me, we had reached the QF the previous tourny,it seemed that QF/SF territory was the norm and only cheating Argies,penalties, or Peter Shilton could prevent us from winning the trophy soon, we saw the emergence of Gazza and Platt. We had a right go in the Semi and 'only' lost on penalties to the Germans.

In 2018 had no real expectations, had easy group, had dream path to the final, had countries falling over themselves to clear the way for us to get to the there, had another 28 years of failure tantalizingly close to being erased.
    Apart from first 35 mins this was an awful performance. We didnt play. We had no plan B.
    Make no mistake, this tournament was there for the taking. We blew it. I have no confidence this group can kick on and improve that much - this was their time, their chance and they couldnt take it and it hurts.

Maybe in weeks to come, I will feel different, but at the moment this hurts more to me

this is why at the start of the tournament I felt we would lose. far too many bottlers from spurs. only half joking.