Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup 2018 Golden Ball

Who are the contenders?

Can't find the list of Assist leaders. Trippier must be up there.

Still have 4 games left including one in play...but who is deserving of it so far?

Comments

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_statistics#Man_of_the_Match

Probably between Mbappe, Griezmann, Hazard, Modric or Kane. Will depend on who gets to the final.
  • It'll be a forward player that wins it but Trippier has been outstanding

Re assists. Loads of player have 2, nobody on 3
  • It'll be Mbappe I reckon.
  • Mbappe will definitely win the best young player award!

Surprisingly, none of the 5 most recent Golden Ball winners have been from the winners.

1998 Ronaldo
    2002 Kahn
    2006 Zidane (even with the headbutt!)
    2010 Forlan
    2014 Messi
  • Mbappe will definitely win the best young player award!

Surprisingly, none of the 5 most recent Golden Ball winners have been from the winners.

1998 Ronaldo
    2002 Kahn
    2006 Zidane (even with the headbutt!)
    2010 Forlan
    2014 Messi

It's decided before the final I believe.
  • It's a toughy, don't think many have consistently been good throughout the tournament really

Mbappe had a good game V Argentina, had a couple of runs tonight and a trick pass in the area and that was about it, didn't really do anything in the group stages though... but he will probably get it for the hype alone.

Kane could be a possibility and not just for his goals, but I don't know how much his touches and hold up play are being recognised outside of England. Same for Maguire and Trippier.

Godin for Uruguay would have been a decent shout... Or Lozano but they didn't progress far enough in the tournament which will go against them.

I'd say Modric has been pretty consistently good so far and may be a shout if Mbappe or Kane don't get it.
  • Mbappe has been good. But I don’t think he has been as good as the hype suggests.
    Future star no doubt, potential to be one of the greatest. But take out the Argentina game and he’s not been outstanding in the other games.

Kane or Modric for me, whoever wins tonight should get it!
  • Trippier player of the tournament so far
  • Trippier player of the tournament so far

I agree with that, he's been outstanding. Is that your opinion though, or is there some official ranking?
  • Sponsored links:

• If a defender wins it has to be Maguire.

If a forward then Mbappe.
  • Team of the Tournament will be interesting

Definitely dont see anyone beating Kane to the Golden Boot though
  • Not after his two tonight.
  • MrOneLung said:

Not after his two tonight.

Not to mention his four goals in the Final against France to beat Hurst's hat-trick record
  • Lloris
    Trippier, Varane, Maguire, ?
    Modric, Kante
    Mbappe, Griezemann, Hazard
    Kane

That's my team of the tournament so far albeit not seen enough games to have an unbiased opinion.
  • Griezemann ?
  • edited July 2018
    Lloris
    Godin | Varane | Maguire
    Trippier | Modric | Kante | Henderson | Hazard
    Kane | Mbappe