Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best Lager? Beer snobs use your own thread!

Comments

• Stella Artois
    Meantime Lager
    San Miguel
    Efes
  • Got 2 bottles of Fischer in the fridge for tomorrow night. That's a nice Strasbourgian lager (biere blonde)
  • Just been in Tesco and noticed that bottles of Asahi are brewed in Italy.

Asahi own Peroni, possibly use their kit?
  • I have opted for Amstel for tomorrow night. Well to be honest my wife bought the Amstel for me, but I am happy with that!
  • MrOneLung said:

12 euro worth of mythos
    Ice cold deep joy

whereabouts in Rhodes are you @floydroadfaithfull and what is the volume of that drink ?

we are going Pefkos near Lindos on Friday week and remember enjoying Mythos a few years back when I was in Corfu.
    We are in pefkos we love it here
    been here 4 years on the trot you will love the place
    Think it's 2 and half pints!
    Most beers in most places are 3.5 or 4 euro
    Cool. We are staying in blue dream villas.
    16 of us. One of the wife’s brothers lives in Oz and all family is meeting up.
    Looks like load of restaurants and bars on the ‘strip’
    Which bar was that from - i definitely want one.

• edited July 2018
    cafcfan said:

_MrDick said:

I really like Spanish lagers ... an ice cold Corona or San Miguel for me

Except San Miguel is Filipino and Corona is Mexican......

I quite liked Polar when I was in Venezuela. But it might just have been that it was cold and I was hot. It helped that it was about 11p though. (I bet it's more now!)
    Shows you how much I know about lager :grin:
  • Got 2 bottles of Fischer in the fridge for tomorrow night. That's a nice Strasbourgian lager (biere blonde)

Do they still have the pop tops like you get on bottles of Grolsch ? Decent drop is Fischer
  • cafcbrown said:

Got 2 bottles of Fischer in the fridge for tomorrow night. That's a nice Strasbourgian lager (biere blonde)

Do they still have the pop tops like you get on bottles of Grolsch ? Decent drop is Fischer
    Yes they do. I was gonna say that they come in a Grosch bottle.

We use the empties as candle holders in the garden
  • PopIcon said:

Just been in Tesco and noticed that bottles of Asahi are brewed in Italy.

Asahi own Peroni, possibly use their kit?
    I'd imagine this is the case.

Most of the places I go to have Peroni and have all had Asahi installed in the last couple of months.
  • edited July 2018
    Special Brew.

No really. In the little bottles drunk as it was meant to be drunk it's good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Heineken extra cold. Come on
  • Another vote for Brooklyn here.
  • Cobra is good, not too fizzy but only drink it in restaurants.

I always have a pint of Cobra when I’m waiting for my takeaway at my local curry house and really enjoy it but I bought a four pack of bottles from Morrison’s and could only stomach half a bottle. Tasted completely different.
  • Pilsner Urquell, especially from the tank. There are a few places in London that have it in the copper tanks, it comes by train from Plzen. It is truly the king of draught lagers.
    Budvar is a nice company, but they add sugar. It will give you a hangover. Staropramen is a joke, and most of my Czech friends agree. So is Krusovice. Bernard is a good smaller brewery.
    When it comes to Germany, I have discovered that I much prefer Saxony beers, which are close to Plzen, than Bavarian. Also some of the beers from the north, Jever in particular, and the two breweries from Rügen Island, Storebecker, and the other one, but they have many varieties which will be to individual taste.
    PU beats the lot. When I get home tomorrow I will wander round to my local with my two litre bottle, and they will fill it up from the tap for me, and I will bring it home for the match. It will cost me £6. I am truly blessed

Am out for a few days on Sunday.
    Will definitely have PU from the tank at mincovna (thanks for the recommendation @PragueAddick ).
    Have also had and liked Bernard.
    Others I will be revisiting are Czech lion at Pivovar narodni brewery, jezek at napa bar just off karmelitska, and ferdinanda on karmelitska.
    They are the ones local to where I usually stay so I know where they are.
    Unticke and pernstein are a couple of others I remember but Christ know where we had those. We just end up wandering, see a beer sign and pop in.
    Another bar I’ll revisit though I can’t remember the name of the beer is sad mans tongue. A quirky cellar bar run by an enthusiastic American guy.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Draft: Amstel (as a regular option); Moretti (when it's affordable which sadly isn't too often)

Can: Holsten Pils (given it stands up to heat at a music festival, it's a go-to); Oranjeboom (surprisingly good for the price - practically given away in most off licences)

Bottle: anything Chinese or Far Eastern. Tsingtao (which properly should be Qingdao) is a particular favourite. Don't mind a Tiger either.

------------

For nostalgia purposes I drink Zubr and Special Brew. "Zoob" and "Spesh" were staples of my big band society at uni.

I'm a bit thirsty now

Remember back in the day having a bit of a sesh on the ‘Spesh’, going back to a mates flat for a post-pub game of Tekken and a smoke and experiencing the worst whitey ever. Haven’t drunk it since.

• cafcbrown said:

Got 2 bottles of Fischer in the fridge for tomorrow night. That's a nice Strasbourgian lager (biere blonde)

Do you recall the time when people (not me of course) used to attach Grolsch tops to their shoes!
  • Becks. Thread closed.
  • Met @jimmymelrose down pub tonight to watch game as he’s on a quick trip over from France. Didn’t realise there was still a problem with CO2 and only bottled stuff available. Opted for a San Miguel but not as nice as my preferred Peroni or Moratti. How are pubs going to manage tomorrow with only bottled stuff available?
  • Met @jimmymelrose down pub tonight to watch game as he’s on a quick trip over from France. Didn’t realise there was still a problem with CO2 and only bottled stuff available. Opted for a San Miguel but not as nice as my preferred Peroni or Moratti. How are pubs going to manage tomorrow with only bottled stuff available?

By serving real ale.
  • MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

12 euro worth of mythos
    Ice cold deep joy

whereabouts in Rhodes are you @floydroadfaithfull and what is the volume of that drink ?

we are going Pefkos near Lindos on Friday week and remember enjoying Mythos a few years back when I was in Corfu.
    We are in pefkos we love it here
    been here 4 years on the trot you will love the place
    Think it's 2 and half pints!
    Most beers in most places are 3.5 or 4 euro
    Cool. We are staying in blue dream villas.
    16 of us. One of the wife’s brothers lives in Oz and all family is meeting up.
    Looks like load of restaurants and bars on the ‘strip’
    Which bar was that from - i definitely want one.

The 'boot' was in rhodes town but don't think there's a bad restaurant in pefki just a vary in price
    Irish bar is well recomended
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:

I actually quite like Fosters despite what people say about it. Becks and San Miguel are nice. Really gone off Kronenbourg in the last couple years.

went off Kronenbourg when I was 10 years old. na seriously. my brother was meant to be looking after me while my parents went away for the night. ended up giving me a few bottles of kronenbourg to drink. got drunk for the first time in my life, felt like shit and have never touched Kronenbourg since.
  • cafcbrown said:

Do you recall the time when people (not me of course) used to attach Grolsch tops to their shoes!
    The rubber washers are very handy to hold your strap on your guitar.
  • Tenants Super was the "fuel" for my first band - I do wonder why we never made it!
  • Tenants Extra was a gorgeous pint
    Stella Artois though for me , or Estrella , Super Bock .
    Hurlimanns
  • Tenants Extra and Tenants Super were the draught lagers in the old Natwest Staff Bar in Old Broad St back in the late 80's / early 90's
  • edited July 2018
    MrOneLung said:

Tenants Extra and Tenants Super were the draught lagers in the old Natwest Staff Bar in Old Broad St back in the late 80's / early 90's

Tenants Super on draught? Really? Are you sure it wasn't just Tenants and Tenants Extra? Super was over 8% ABV.
  • hmm - yeah you are probably right.

• cafcbrown said:

Yeah, Bross started that
  • MrOneLung said:

Tenants Extra and Tenants Super were the draught lagers in the old Natwest Staff Bar in Old Broad St back in the late 80's / early 90's

Was that the bar they had a competition to name? Or was that the gaff down Leman Street? My source told me that The Weary Banker was close to winning until someone twigged.
  • Think that was Leman St

never heard that story.