Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best Lager? Beer snobs use your own thread!

Comments

• Peroni
    Estrella
    Carlsberg
    Becks

Getting more into Stout now though
  • Cobra is good, not too fizzy but only drink it in restaurants.

It's nice but got a bit of a bite.
  • Was at Lords a few weeks back and was drinking Revisionist. It's classed as a lager (although a craft lager). Was very refreshing.
  • 12 euro worth of mythos
    Ice cold deep joy
  • Draft: Amstel (as a regular option); Moretti (when it's affordable which sadly isn't too often)

Can: Holsten Pils (given it stands up to heat at a music festival, it's a go-to); Oranjeboom (surprisingly good for the price - practically given away in most off licences)

Bottle: anything Chinese or Far Eastern. Tsingtao (which properly should be Qingdao) is a particular favourite. Don't mind a Tiger either.

------------

For nostalgia purposes I drink Zubr and Special Brew. "Zoob" and "Spesh" were staples of my big band society at uni.

I'm a bit thirsty now
  • Another vote for Meantime London Lager here.

Off to Hamburg tomorrow, so will be sinking a few Astras.
  • From the days of rolled-up jacket sleeves I used to love Schlitz - never see it anymore
  • Generally drink ale now but when in Spain, it's Mahou - best of the lot. Budweiser, Amstel and Heineken are awful.
  • Peroni when I'm feeling flush. Coors Light or Bud Light when not. Carlsberg & the Craft Lager they sell at Lords are my least preferred.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

SDAddick said:

I don't really drink much these days, and I live amidst a swarm of craft breweries in the Hipstervania that I live in, so there's usually something interesting to try (Read: Has a cool looking label or a well written description, I know fuck all about beer).

Blue Moon (Definitely my favorite of the lot)
    Fat Tire (which might technically be craft but you can get it anywhere on the West Coast of the US)
    Heineken
    Kronenburg
    Peroni and Corona are good, a beer called Yeungling is fine, I had to learn to drink that when I lived in Florida then travelled to Pennsylvania a lot.

Blue Moon with a slice of orange is amazing. By far and away my favourite. Then Samuel Adams followed by Brooklyn.
    Yes Brooklyn is a really good shout (cc: @CAFCsayer). Also, yes on the Blue Moon. Especially on a hot day. It's just lovely, simply and goes down smooth.
  • wmcf123 said:

For beer in garden bbqs etc then it's Coors, Corona or Bud but in pub it's Fosters, Efes or Tyskie.
    Although thinking about it I seem to drink anything and everything lol.

Wasn't coors produced by red rum ?
    it was horse piss?
    That is what I meant, yes
  • Dortmunder Union - not widely available in UK, sadly
    On a baking hot day: an ice cold bottle of Tiger
    When you want a pint with a bit more wallop: Lowenbrau (the one with the pale green/blue label)
  • 12 euro worth of mythos
    Ice cold deep joy

whereabouts in Rhodes are you @floydroadfaithfull and what is the volume of that drink ?

we are going Pefkos near Lindos on Friday week and remember enjoying Mythos a few years back when I was in Corfu.
  • Or Pefki as listed on the glass.
  • Like an Efes as well

Efes is alright, but why do they call it draft, when it comes in a stubby little bottle? Got caught out in a kebab restaurant once with that one. Was not happy to have just paid 5 quid for a half.

• Dortmunder Union - not widely available in UK, sadly
    On a baking hot day: an ice cold bottle of Tiger
    When you want a pint with a bit more wallop: Lowenbrau (the one with the pale green/blue label)

Lowenbrau? Is that still around?
  • Not really a lager drinker, but I'll take a McEwan's Export occasionally.
  • Belzebuth

Quite strong at 13% but very nice indeed.......
  • I'm also a fan of watered down piss lager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very thirsty reading this thread.

Looking forward to that first sip in the boozer pre-match tomorrow
  • MrOneLung said:

12 euro worth of mythos
    Ice cold deep joy

whereabouts in Rhodes are you @floydroadfaithfull and what is the volume of that drink ?

we are going Pefkos near Lindos on Friday week and remember enjoying Mythos a few years back when I was in Corfu.
    We are in pefkos we love it here
    been here 4 years on the trot you will love the place
    Think it's 2 and half pints!
    Most beers in most places are 3.5 or 4 euro
  • I actually quite like Fosters despite what people say about it. Becks and San Miguel are nice. Really gone off Kronenbourg in the last couple years.
  • edited July 2018
    Am more of a real ale person. But in the hot weather will often drink draft lager. Favourites are draft Peroni or draft San Miguel. Only thing is that in London a pint of draft Peroni is normally around £5.75... Love a Cobra (bottled or draft) when in an Indian.
  • Moretti gets my vote
  • Moretti
    Peroni
    Asahi
    Spitfire Lager
    Meantime Lager
    Estrella
  • Leffe Blond is decent
  • Just been in Tesco and noticed that bottles of Asahi are brewed in Italy.
  • Camden Hells can be decent - sometimes a little fizzy in some pubs but out a bottle it's generally good.

Kona Longboard mentioned earlier is lovely.

Whitstable Blond Lager is quite refreshing too.

Whitstable Blonde is fantastic, they do this in The Bricklayers in Bromley. A very decent boozer as well.
  • Leffe Blond is decent

Leffe Blond is not a Lager :) It's a Belgian Special, alas … from INBEV Interbrew ..