Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best Lager? Beer snobs use your own thread!

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Rob7Lee said:

Do they still sell Rolling Rock?

Fantastic bottle of beer that. Rolling Rock and Miller Genuine Draft would be my bottles of choice if in the US.
  • Hardly drink Now, but kronebourg or Peroni when I do imbibe.
  • Rolling Rock, brewed in Pennsylvania, used to drink it ice cold, deeelish!

Used to buy it from Oddbins on London Bridge years ago but haven't seen it for ages.

Green bottle with white lettering as I remember
  • Seriously, what is the fascination with Peroni ?

I thought in Italy, they consider it to be equivalent of Fosters
  • Camden Hells can be decent - sometimes a little fizzy in some pubs but out a bottle it's generally good.

Kona Longboard mentioned earlier is lovely.

Whitstable Blond Lager is quite refreshing too.
  • MrOneLung said:

I have had two different EFES

One in a 500ml brown bottle and a 330 ml green bottle
    Are they the same beer as preferred the brown bottled one.

No, the brown one (if it's got a brown label) is Efes Draft and the green is Efes Pilsen. They are slightly different tastes
  • I try to avoid anything from INBEV / Interbrew … no Stella or Jupiler please . If possible I'll have a MAES or a VEDETT … beer with taste and not that expensive. In Holland I'll go for BRAND or Grolsch . Heineken … better have the Dutch drink that themselves … In Amsterdam, the canals are full of it :)
  • For beer in garden bbqs etc then it's Coors, Corona or Bud but in pub it's Fosters, Efes or Tyskie.
    Although thinking about it I seem to drink anything and everything lol.

Wasn't coors produced by red rum ?
  • wmcf123 said:

For beer in garden bbqs etc then it's Coors, Corona or Bud but in pub it's Fosters, Efes or Tyskie.
    Although thinking about it I seem to drink anything and everything lol.

Wasn't coors produced by red rum ?
    it was horse piss?
  • Sponsored links:

• Coors Light, Amstel or Pilsner for me. Moretti and Estrella are half-decent too, as is a Becks.

Can't stand Carlsberg, Carling or Budweiser.
  • I think Oranjeboom is one of the worst lagers you could possibly get your hands on.

Agreed. Absolutely horrific stuff
  • I can drink most lagers and not snobby. The one lager I cannot abide is Carlsberg. Walked in to a pub on Polperro harbour a few years back and fancied a cold beer after a long walk. Only lager they had was Carlsberg, both me and Ian are not keen but ordered up two pints of it as too embarrassed to walk out. Small quiet pub. We sat there trying to drink it but the taste of it made me gag. There was nowhere to pour it to pretend we had drunk it, apart from the loo, and was too embarrassed to do that. So literally got up leaving two almost full pints whilst feeling everyone in the pub was staring at us as we walked out. Waste of money. Vile stuff. they were only serving Carlsberg at the High Flying Birds the other night... so i had to order myself two pints of wine instead.

I like Moretti, amstel, had a few Helles the other night. But do agree the taste of Pilsner Urquell is lovely.

• I really like the Meantime London Lager.
  • Peroni, as much as I like it, gives me a banging headache.
    For a light lager its Corona
    But my fav is Hop House 13, the juniors bought me a load for fathers day and I have managed to guzzle it all throughout the World Cup.
  • Warsteiner is pretty good
  • Brooklyn Lager my favourite
  • Desperados.
  • SDAddick said:

I don't really drink much these days, and I live amidst a swarm of craft breweries in the Hipstervania that I live in, so there's usually something interesting to try (Read: Has a cool looking label or a well written description, I know fuck all about beer).

Blue Moon (Definitely my favorite of the lot)
    Fat Tire (which might technically be craft but you can get it anywhere on the West Coast of the US)
    Heineken
    Kronenburg
    Peroni and Corona are good, a beer called Yeungling is fine, I had to learn to drink that when I lived in Florida then travelled to Pennsylvania a lot.

Blue Moon with a slice of orange is amazing. By far and away my favourite. Then Samuel Adams followed by Brooklyn.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hop House (by Guinness) or Meantime London Lager are my current favourites.

Then its...
    Estrella and Moretti.
    Also like the Red Labelled Peroni that I get in my favourite little Italian restaurant in Orpington.
    Special mention for Efes. Never used to like it but its growing on me.

Not a fan of Singha, Cobra or Asahi. Far too dry for me. After a night on all three, I feel like I've been stripped of all the water in my body.
  • Carling is disgusting, like drinking out an ashtray.

I do enjoy an ice cold Asahi, but it gets me smashed.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Hop House (by Guinness) or Meantime London Lager are my current favourites.

Then its...
    Estrella and Moretti.
    Also like the Red Labelled Peroni that I get in my favourite little Italian restaurant in Orpington.
    Special mention for Efes. Never used to like it but its growing on me.

Not a fan of Singha, Cobra or Asahi. Far too dry for me. After a night on all three, I feel like I've been stripped of all the water in my body.

I think that is the peroni that Italians actually drink rather than the more common one (green bottle) that you see in most pubs
  • Beer Lao or Leo Beer if in Thailand. Peroni if back in UK. If on the continent then whatever seems appealing at the time..
  • Peroni has possibly the worst pint glass known to man. it's like drinking out of a replica Olympic torch.
    ridiculous thing and very susceptible to being knocked over.
  • Riviera said:

The best!

Hard to find but a lovely beer. Pizza express used to sell it but not recently. Had one in Aqua in Petts Wood on Saturday.
  • Cobra is good, not too fizzy but only drink it in restaurants.
  • MrOneLung said:

Seriously, what is the fascination with Peroni ?

I thought in Italy, they consider it to be equivalent of Fosters

Yes, in Italy they consider it mass produced dross. In Australia they don't drink Fosters and in Italy they don't drink Peroni! Moretti is the lager of choice. They are quite the beer snobs though. When I was over their recently I was bought an Italian craft beer which tasted of dishwater - a bit like some of ours!
  • I really like the Meantime London Lager.

Or even the Brewery Fresh Lager from Meantime. Delicious.
  • Riviera said:

The best!

Hard to find but a lovely beer. Pizza express used to sell it but not recently. Had one in Aqua in Petts Wood on Saturday.
    Indeed it is. Both Sainsburys and Tesco no longer stock it. Only Waitrose and Morrisons still have it as far as I can see but they never have much stock so I clear their shelves when I'm in. I've tried to find a wholesaler that does it but can't. I have lobbied Makro but without success.