Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best Lager? Beer snobs use your own thread!

Comments

• Had a couple of fans of red stripe tonight... Cuts through the thirst nicely. Fave might be Augustiner brau or Paulaner. Place round here sells both. I normally drink ciders or porters, but quite frankly am not fussy
  • Huskaris said:

Quite like Jupiler.

Yeah, that's another one that they do a lot of round here.
  • edited July 2018
    My favourites in no exact order include but are not limited to....

Kronenbourg
    Stella Artois
    Oranjeboum
    Red Stripe
    Samuel Adams (I know it's a craft beer but I'm leaving off the brew dog stuff to balance)
    Heineken

And a glorious blast from the past

Carling Premier
  • Czech Budweiser the best widely available lager. It has a good flavour when it’s cold. Sambrooks in Battersea do a very good one, too. Most of the big brands have to be drunk so cold you can’t taste them because their actual taste is awful - try leaving one to warm up and then see what it taste like.
  • Kroneberg for me.

Wouldn't drink Carlsberg or Bud is they were the last drinks on earth.
  • Carter said:

My favourites in no exact order include but are not limited to....

Kronenbourg
    Stella Artois
    Oranjeboum
    Red Stripe
    Samuel Adams (I know it's a craft beer but I'm leaving off the brew dog stuff to balance)
    Heineken

And a glorious blast from the past

Carling Premier

Carling premier! God I remember that. Very smooth.

I went to uni in Scotland... Either Tennant's or McEwans lager. "Pish" doesn't cover it
  • Heineken
    Peroni
    Estrella
    Amstel

Also Pilsner Urquell for when I fancy a stronger flavour.
  • Not a single mention for Mahou!
    Lager of the gods, red or green label.
    Not so easy to get outside of Spain now but when in Espana this is the one for me.
    Drink Bangla when we go for a ruby, ehich is very very nice too!
  • edited July 2018

Kronenbourg for me.

Wouldn't drink Carlsberg or Bud is they were the last drinks on earth.

Sadly another great European (French) beer made (poorly compared to what you get in France) over here by Carlsberg (UK).
  • Peroni and Carling now
    In the past and not sure if still available really enjoyed Rolling Rock and Molson
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't really drink much these days, and I live amidst a swarm of craft breweries in the Hipstervania that I live in, so there's usually something interesting to try (Read: Has a cool looking label or a well written description, I know fuck all about beer).

Blue Moon (Definitely my favorite of the lot)
    Fat Tire (which might technically be craft but you can get it anywhere on the West Coast of the US)
    Heineken
    Kronenburg
    Peroni and Corona are good, a beer called Yeungling is fine, I had to learn to drink that when I lived in Florida then travelled to Pennsylvania a lot.
  • Tady lager......from the Samuel Smith's boozers.

This, although the pure brew is even better, IMO
  • Can you still get Castlemaine? - It used to be everywhere in the 80s.

I had this in Brisbane years ago, absolutely 5*
  • Riviera said:

One beer I really do not get is the American King of Beers, Budweiser. It's a massive global brand and superbly marketeted but it just leaves me cold. I've had it here and over there and I just can't find any taste or flavour in it.

More body in a cup of tea.
  • edited July 2018
    Riviera said:

If the pint you like gives you that much more you can bet it's Carling Black Label!
    Harp stays sharp to the bottom of the glass.
    Stella Artois;reassuringly expensive.
    Heineken refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach.
    Hofmeister, follow the bear!

Skol was poor.
    Hofmeister has been relaunched.

And is doing rather well it seems. https://beerguild.co.uk/news/hofmeister-crowned-best-lager-2017-iwscs-beer-awards/ First five star lager.

A bit strange though, a small UK company bought the name from Heineken but it's brewed in Germany now and is also 5%, not the weak, miserable stuff it used to be.
  • Canned - Suntory | The Premium Malts. Love a malty finish in a canned beer. San Miguel is a reliable 2nd, but seems to be best when brewed in the Philippines.

Bottled - Kona Longboard Island Lager. Hard to find. But doesn't get any better. Smooth.

• Can you still get Castlemaine? - It used to be everywhere in the 80s.

I had this in Brisbane years ago, absolutely 5*
    4x surely?
  • I really like Spanish lagers ... an ice cold Corona or San Miguel for me
  • Historically my favourite was always Stella Artois ( brewed in Belgium).
    Now its a case of shopping around for something not brewed under licence in the UK.
    Always thought that Grolsch in the flip top bottles tasted of soap
  • Krombacher is very good, used to be in Tesco, now in Morrisons I think. German full of flavour but light too.
  • Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:

I really like Spanish lagers ... an ice cold Corona or San Miguel for me

Except San Miguel is Filipino and Corona is Mexican......

I quite liked Polar when I was in Venezuela. But it might just have been that it was cold and I was hot. It helped that it was about 11p though. (I bet it's more now!)
  • Peroni and Amstel, Carlsberg.

Draught bud I like but not a fan of its bottled incarnation. Only place I ever found it was in some ropey pub with a flat roof in Penge back in the late 90s.

• Cruzcampo isn't a bad Spanish pint.

I did a round the world tour once, and got to sample many beers. Particularly fond of Quilmes in Argentina and Beerlao from Laos. Possibly context is important too, as neither is probably that special in reality. Same goes for three horses in Madagascar!
  • Riviera said:

Lager is beer FFS! Stupid thread title.

I only like "lagers" over here that are imported and there is not many of them anymore. Many are manufactured under licence from the owners here in the UK, eg Carlsberg, San Miguel, Fosters and sadly now Stella Artois.
    Stella in it's pomp was 5.4% and far and away my favorite. Not on draught as that was made by Whitbread/Interbrew etc but the cans that your local corner shop imported in from the French booze warehouses. 500ml and beautiful. Stella UK now is 4.8% and I just can't find anywhere that imports it anymore.
    Heineken is very good these days, 5% and a real clear, crisp taste. This is because Heineken executives were horrified at what Whitbread/Interbrew had done with their beer and made the decision to only make it themselves in the Netherlands.
    However my favorite now is Peroni Reserve, Double Malt and comes in at a heady 6.6%. Only in bottles but from Italy.
    Quite partial to a couple of very cold cans of the stronger Polish beers too.

I remember stella at 5.2 when it was proper wife beater
  • For beer in garden bbqs etc then it's Coors, Corona or Bud but in pub it's Fosters, Efes or Tyskie.
    Although thinking about it I seem to drink anything and everything lol.
  • been going through Corona indoors by the crateload this WC.....lovely with a bit of lime in this heat.

I'll pretty much drink any lager to be honest.
  • edited July 2018

Like an Efes as well

For beer in garden bbqs etc then it's Coors, Corona or Bud but in pub it's Fosters, Efes or Tyskie.
    Although thinking about it I seem to drink anything and everything lol.

I'm glad someone else mentioned Efes. I think it's a great beer, crisp and dry and perfect. Our rugby club stock it so I'm very happy. And I regularly make a trip to the TFC in Welling to get the bigger bottles.

Other than Efes, if it's draught then San Miguel or Amstel.
  • Peroni
    Cobra
    Hop House
    Carlsberg

Will be checking into the Yard House Vegas in September and working my way down their lager menu which always throws up some new delights.
  • I have had two different EFES

One in a 500ml brown bottle and a 330 ml green bottle
    Are they the same beer as preferred the brown bottled one.
  • Peroni or Amstel