Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best Lager? Beer snobs use your own thread!

Comments

• edited July 2018

Can you still get Castlemaine? - It used to be everywhere in the 80s.

Withdrawn from UK some years ago, I think. Still popular in Queensland. And when was the last time we saw Oranjeboom (it's a lager not a tune.)

Frankly I'll drink almost anything lager-wise but not fond of the american brand mass-produced brewed under licence stuff. Or Carling.

Edited to add: almost everything is AB Inbev anyway, including such previously excellent brands like Stella, Becks and Löwenbräu
  • the lager rule in our house is that it has to be brewed and bottled in its supposed "host country", so Fosters, an Aussie beer that has been no further than Manchester Brewery is out, as are a whole host of others (Bud, Heineken, Amstel etc etc - even Becks is now brewed in the UK).

Peroni is therefore a good bet, as are many of the South American / Asian / Chinese beers that are shipped over in huge containers at minimal cost to make it onto the supermarket shelves at 3 for a £5 on 660ml bottles (Morrison's have a decent range).

Apologies to any lager drinking eco warriors on here who are going to complain about my beer miles.
  • edited July 2018
    cafcfan said:

Can you still get Castlemaine? - It used to be everywhere in the 80s.

Withdrawn from UK some years ago, I think. Still popular in Queensland. And when was the last time we saw Oranjeboom (it's a lager not a tune.)

Frankly I'll drink almost anything lager-wise but not fond of the american brand mass-produced brewed under licence stuff. Or Carling.
    Got oranjeboom in our local pub - shepherds neame.

Peroni for me if it is a lager. Although saying that, I'm quite fond of Curious, which seems to be popping up more and more
  • Bud, Coors or Amstel

Pissy lager every time. Flowery craft beer is the devil.
  • Give a mention to Tsingtao as well.
  • Like others I do like the Amstel / Estrella duo.

Don’t get the love for Peroni. Find it really gassy and a strange aftertaste but everyone tastes things differently
  • Lager is beer FFS! Stupid thread title.

I only like "lagers" over here that are imported and there is not many of them anymore. Many are manufactured under licence from the owners here in the UK, eg Carlsberg, San Miguel, Fosters and sadly now Stella Artois.
    Stella in it's pomp was 5.4% and far and away my favorite. Not on draught as that was made by Whitbread/Interbrew etc but the cans that your local corner shop imported in from the French booze warehouses. 500ml and beautiful. Stella UK now is 4.8% and I just can't find anywhere that imports it anymore.
    Heineken is very good these days, 5% and a real clear, crisp taste. This is because Heineken executives were horrified at what Whitbread/Interbrew had done with their beer and made the decision to only make it themselves in the Netherlands.
    However my favorite now is Peroni Reserve, Double Malt and comes in at a heady 6.6%. Only in bottles but from Italy.
    Quite partial to a couple of very cold cans of the stronger Polish beers too.
  • Sponsored links:

• And I have a nostalgic yearning for a pint of Carling Premier every now and then.
  • Hop House 13, Keo, Moretti, Peroni - any of them will do.
  • Riviera said:

Lager is beer FFS! Stupid thread title.

I only like "lagers" over here that are imported and there is not many of them anymore. Many are manufactured under licence from the owners here in the UK, eg Carlsberg, San Miguel, Fosters and sadly now Stella Artois.
    Stella in it's pomp was 5.4% and far and away my favorite. Not on draught as that was made by Whitbread/Interbrew etc but the cans that your local corner shop imported in from the French booze warehouses. 500ml and beautiful. Stella UK now is 4.8% and I just can't find anywhere that imports it anymore.
    Heineken is very good these days, 5% and a real clear, crisp taste. This is because Heineken executives were horrified at what Whitbread/Interbrew had done with their beer and made the decision to only make it themselves in the Netherlands.
    However my favorite now is Peroni Reserve, Double Malt and comes in at a heady 6.6%. Only in bottles but from Italy.

Wasn’t aware about Heineken. Was a beer I avoided for years. Might give that a go again.

• Stella

Your poor wife.
  • If the pint you like gives you that much more you can bet it's Carling Black Label!
    Harp stays sharp to the bottom of the glass.
    Stella Artois;reassuringly expensive.
    Heineken refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach.
    Hofmeister, follow the bear!

Skol was poor.
    Hofmeister has been relaunched.
  • Riviera said:

Lager is beer FFS! Stupid thread title.

Lager is a type of beer. Presume the OP didn't want this descending into a discussion over the finest IPAs and Stouts - which would be a better discussion ;)
  • @Riviera.

Is all Heineken now brewed in the Nederlands ?
  • Few lagers that ruin the head

Peroni, Stella, Heineken, asahi

At 27 I only recently tried a top in a lager v refreshing.
  • edited July 2018

@Riviera.

Is all Heineken now brewed in the Nederlands ?

The stuff sold in the UK is. Bottles, cans and draught.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cheers. Deffo gonna give it a crack. Not had a pint of Heineken for years .
  • Cheers. Deffo gonna give it a crack. Not had a pint of Heineken for years .

Defo better out of the bottle. Draught depends a lot on the pub you drink it in.
  • edited July 2018
    Probably San Miguel but I find the draft in recent years has gone down hill. In bottles though it's still bloody fabulous.

Moretti and Estrella are also big favourites.

Modelo, vedett and Brahma ain't bad.
    Rolling rock was good but don't see it anymore.
  • How could I forget Singha !
  • Used to be San Miguel but I find the draft in recent years has gone down hill. In bottles though it's still bloody fabulous.

Moretti and Estrella are also big favourites.

Modelo, vedett and Brahma ain't bad.
    Rolling rock was good but don't see it anymore.

San Miguel is fantastic in Spain but a poor beer in the UK. Estrella bottles are imported here and lovely, not sure about draught.
  • The best!
  • An icy Sol on a balmy summers eve is always a good option. Just don’t forget the lime.

In Mexico Don’t they just put the lime in the neck to stop flies going in there rather than pushing into the actual bottle to ‘enhance’ the taste?
  • edited July 2018
    Pilsner Urquell, especially from the tank. There are a few places in London that have it in the copper tanks, it comes by train from Plzen. It is truly the king of draught lagers.
    Budvar is a nice company, but they add sugar. It will give you a hangover. Staropramen is a joke, and most of my Czech friends agree. So is Krusovice. Bernard is a good smaller brewery.
    When it comes to Germany, I have discovered that I much prefer Saxony beers, which are close to Plzen, than Bavarian. Also some of the beers from the north, Jever in particular, and the two breweries from Rügen Island, Storebecker, and the other one, but they have many varieties which will be to individual taste.
    PU beats the lot. When I get home tomorrow I will wander round to my local with my two litre bottle, and they will fill it up from the tap for me, and I will bring it home for the match. It will cost me £6. I am truly blessed