Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan Gilzean RIP

Comments

• RIP, great player
  • One of the best headers of a ball I have ever seen

RIP
  • RIP, a great player.
  • A very good player in his day.
  • RIP

Enjoyed watching those flicks slide off that balding head to Chivers et al. Decent player and a Scottish international when Scotland was a better side than now.
  • proper old style forward

RIP
  • Rip ...a really good professional footballer of his time
  • RIP the king of white heart lane
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP good memories
  • Absolute master of the glancing header.
    RIP.
  • My absolute favourite player of his time.

Loved the G men.

I remember an epic NYE party in Edmonton when I was about 17 and even then, 1971, the most popular song at that party was about him. (It was a proper sing along knees up.)

Thanks Gillie.
  • A very gifted stylish footballer and a real team player, the best header of the ball I've seen.
    R.I.P Alan.
  • RIP. An exceptionally classy player. His headed flick ons from corners and free kicks were superb.
  • RIP
  • Ah bless him. Magnificent player. Was never priviledged to see him play live due to my age but have watched more footage of the 60s/70s teams than I've had hot dinners over the years.

I'm somewhat fortunate that my wife's cousin used to work with with the likes of Bill Nicholson and Terry Venables, working as a scout for Tottenham for years and have listened in awe at the table on Christmas Day/Boxing Day to the stories of the golden days of Gilly, Greaves, Chivers, Peters, Mullery, a teenage Steve Perryman and the enigmatic John White & Danny Blachflower slightly earlier in the double side.

Gilly really was one of the all time Tottenham greats. A sad day for Spurs today.
  • Good player RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• I only remember two bald players from that era: one shares a name with our club, Gilzean was the other. Didn't get the plaudits Greavesy got but just as important to a very good Spurs team.

RIP
  • RIP......Gilly......RIP.
  • Scary, another footballing name from my youth slips away. RIP Mr Gilzean.
  • I only remember two bald players from that era: one shares a name with our club, Gilzean was the other. Didn't get the plaudits Greavesy got but just as important to a very good Spurs team.

RIP

Not even Ralph Coates? His "comb over" had to be as famous as Bobby Charlton's. Coates and Gilzean even played together for Spurs.
  • RIP - great player. Saw quite a bit of him as I had a friend who supported Spurs.
  • R.I.P. Great player.

RIP

Not even Ralph Coates? His "comb over" had to be as famous as Bobby Charlton's. Coates and Gilzean even played together for Spurs.
    Of course. How could I forget.
  • Andy Lochhead, Peter Noble. Also great headers of the ball and bald, but nowhere near as good as Gillie. RIP
  • Very sad, RIP. Saw the Gilzean/Greaves partnership when taken to White Hart Lane as a young kid by my dad. Classy player.
  • RIP Alan
    A great player and always played the game in the right way