Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where the England squad come from

Doing some quick sums on where the current England squad actually grew up, I was surprised at how Northern it is.

6 from Yorkshire alone, 6 from the North West and 2 from the North East. Add to this Cahill who grew up in Dronfield, which is between Chesterfield and Sheffield, that makes 15 out of the 23 from the North!

Indeed only 3 members from the squad come from London (this includes Sterling), 2 from the home counties (Young and Deli) while none come from the Midlands! With the wealth of the London clubs, and the large potential pool of talent, that's a surprisingly low number and perhaps an indictment at the way they bring players through.

Comments

• I was just glad it wasn't just me that couldn't fully understand what Pickford was saying in interviews!
  • Doing some quick sums on where the current England squad actually grew up, I was surprised at how Northern it is.

6 from Yorkshire alone, 6 from the North West and 2 from the North East. Add to this Cahill who grew up in Dronfield, which is between Chesterfield and Sheffield, that makes 15 out of the 23 from the North!

Indeed only 3 members from the squad come from London (this includes Sterling), 2 from the home counties (Young and Deli) while none come from the Midlands! With the wealth of the London clubs, and the large potential pool of talent, that's a surprisingly low number and perhaps an indictment at the way they bring players through.

This includes the Jamaican lad, Sterling?
  • Did anyone else think this was @paulie8290 who started the thread?

No because when there are 0 comments(like before you posted) it says who started the thread
    Please dont flag me :wink:

Stop biting its too easy
  • Doing some quick sums on where the current England squad actually grew up, I was surprised at how Northern it is.

This includes the Jamaican lad, Sterling?
    I said "grew up". He came over at the age of 5 and lived in London, and came through the QPR academy. His football upbringing was in London
  • It is quite interesting actually. Other than Young (a converted winger) all our defenders are Northern, plus 2 of our defensive midfielders. By contrast in previous years we had the likes of Ferdinand, Campbell, Adams, Southgate, Terry, Ledley King etc all from London and the South.

Maybe Gomez will break the trend.
  • Very few England players come from middle class backgrounds.

Eric Dier is one, although he has an ancestry in sports.

Do any footballers come from middle class backgrounds?
  • Riviera said:

Very few England players come from middle class backgrounds.

Lampard and Le Saux?
  • Sponsored links:

• Joey Barton?
  • Gianfranco Zola was from upper-class gentry I think. Maybe Vialli too
  • Very few England players come from middle class backgrounds.

I'm not sure London and the South East can be considered to be entirely middle class!
  • Riviera said:

Southgate?

• Riviera said:

Er...Gareth Southgate couldn't be more middle class.
  • edited July 2018
    Frank Lampard and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain both attended private schools.

Scott Parker from the very middle-class London state school Haberdashers’ Aske’s Hatcham College.

Quantity surveyor’s son James Milner.

To name but five.
  • Ah, but one must distinguish between old money and new money, darling
  • Sponsored links:

• Frank Lampard and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain both attended private schools.

Scott Parker from the very middle-class London state school Haberdashers’ Aske’s Hatcham College.

Quantity surveyor’s son James Milner.

To name but five.

5?
    James Milner and Boring James Milner
  • edited July 2018

Did anyone else think this was @paulie8290 who started the thread?

No because when there are 0 comments(like before you posted) it says who started the thread
    and that was the only way you could tell that you didn't start it?
  • isnt this a possible indication of the qualities required to become a very good international team as opposed to England who mostly seem a load of thickos - for example, if you interview the German squad, they all speak perfect English and 'appear' to be highly/somewhat educated ?
    Just an observation.
  • isnt this a possible indication of the qualities required to become a very good international team as opposed to England who mostly seem a load of thickos - for example, if you interview the German squad, they all speak perfect English and 'appear' to be highly/somewhat educated ?
    Just an observation.

This the Germany who are already out of the tournament?
  • Wasn't there a book called Why do England lose or something similar and in it one of the reasons given was that football in the UK was massively class based which meant we missed out on potential good players (law of averages) even if it was one good international player every generation it was considered one of the fine margins for losing at the highest level.

I will see if I can get find it, although our Library is being refurbished.
  • Wasn't there a book called Why do England lose or something similar and in it one of the reasons given was that football in the UK was massively class based which meant we missed out on potential good players (law of averages) even if it was one good international player every generation it was considered one of the fine margins for losing at the highest level.

How posh are you?
    Shooters will be getting house envy! ;-)

That's interesting. Would probably take a look at that.