Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Singapore

In SG for a while (first time) on business.

Any recommendations on what to do at weekends?

Comments

• Over 20 years since I went but the cable car across to the island of Sentosa is good. There was an excellent theme park there at that time. The hawker food centres are great. Enjoy!
  • If you want to watch the football I imagine Chijmes (lots of different bars/restaurants) will have it outdoors on the big screens - England would kick off at 10pm on Saturday
  • Lived and worked there for many years. Only returned from most recent visit yesterday.

Will give some recommendations later.
  • You can have breakfast sitting with orangutans.

The city forest thing looks gorgeous
  • Cable car is good.night zoo is good ------ everywhere is mega busy
  • Grateful for recs too - we're heading out there in Sept.
  • Check out the floating football pitch in the bay by the Marina bay Sands hotel
  • Sponsored links:

• Take lots of chewing gum and hand it around openly in public.

Feel free to ignore the "hold onto the handrail" signs on escalators. It's perfectly acceptable to not look like a robot like everyone else.

If you see 12 year olds with automatic weapons at the airport, don't worry it's just their national service.

Ask everyone you talk to if they are actually Singaporean. Eventually you might get lucky and actually meet one.

If you go to Raffles to experience a genuine "Singapore sling", ignore the fact they're all pre made in large jugs in the morning ready to serve another gullible newbie. It's an authentic experience don't you know!

If you buy drinks at a bar don't stupidly expect to get your change before the barman serves other people. Enjoy hanging around for 10 minutes like a lemon until they decide to bring it to you.

If you want to experience some genuine culture...……..go somewhere else.

• I love singapore. Have been twice recently and going back in September too Weegie for a long weekend.

My mate lives on Sentosa which is dead swish. It is ridiculously expensive and totally bling in parts. Love it.

Boat Quay would be a good spot to watch the game i think? In Molly's or Penny Black, i can check with my mates if you want.
  • I live there - moved from KL, hence the name. It’s not the cultural vacuum some think - you just need to get away from downtown.

Lots of good bars around Telok Ayer and Club Street area. Little Island brewing Co is great for a lazy afternoon of eating and drinking. Some good tropical walks to do at the southern ridges or MacRitchie reserve. Some nice neighbourhoods to eat or drink in like Tiong Bahru or Holland Park. Ok beaches in Sentosa and East Coast Park. Too many good places to eat. The 4 floors...
  • Dizzle said:

Check out the floating football pitch in the bay by the Marina bay Sands hotel

Didn't we have one of them before they sorted out the drainage?
  • Went in 2005 and loved Singapore. Went to Raffles, Sentosa, Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Boat Quay and boat trip around Marina Bay. I would love to go again.

Hope you enjoy your visit, I'm sure you will.
  • For drinking at a slightly less than ridiculous price follow the happy hours. You can find them at most times in different bars but I don't think in OT (four floors)

If you like decent beer check out Brewerkz, where they actually have a hand pump. And if you fancy a trip to the top of Marina Bay Sands don't join the queue with the tourists, find the reception for the bar at the top where entrance is free, though drinks are extortionately priced of course, though about the same as the tourist entrance price.

A riverboat trip is ok for a first-timer and I quite liked the Gardens By The Bay.

• @jamescafc

How did you find it ?
  • Clarke Quay has become more up market than Boat Quay nowadays, but I have to say that I prefer Boat Quay for beer and curry. The Maharajah Indian near The Penny Black end of Boat Quay is good food plus you can sit right next to the river. Robertson Quay is also growing quickly and has a more laid back feel than many places in Singapore. You won't run out of things to do, but at £9-10 per pint in some places, you can get through money quickly. If you don't like shopping, take a look at a map before you head anywhere.
  • He just got off of the plane - and there it was!
  • Clarke Quay has become more up market than Boat Quay nowadays, but I have to say that I prefer Boat Quay for beer and curry. The Maharajah Indian near The Penny Black end of Boat Quay is good food plus you can sit right next to the river. Robertson Quay is also growing quickly and has a more laid back feel than many places in Singapore. You won't run out of things to do, but at £9-10 per pint in some places, you can get through money quickly. If you don't like shopping, take a look at a map before you head anywhere.

Is the Hooters place still there? A HK Chinese woman I once worked with took a few of us there. None of the barmaids had the usual upper body qualifications but all had amazingly shapely backsides. Very disorienting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was it all arse around tit?
  • Davo55 said:

Clarke Quay has become more up market than Boat Quay nowadays, but I have to say that I prefer Boat Quay for beer and curry. The Maharajah Indian near The Penny Black end of Boat Quay is good food plus you can sit right next to the river. Robertson Quay is also growing quickly and has a more laid back feel than many places in Singapore. You won't run out of things to do, but at £9-10 per pint in some places, you can get through money quickly. If you don't like shopping, take a look at a map before you head anywhere.

Is the Hooters place still there? A HK Chinese woman I once worked with took a few of us there. None of the barmaids had the usual upper body qualifications but all had amazingly shapely backsides. Very disorienting.
    Yes, Hooters is still there.
  • MrOneLung said:

@jamescafc

How did you find it ?

Are you referring to the Chijmes or Four Floors recommendation!?
  • either !
  • Think the place is brilliant to be fair.

Weekends sat at Marina Bay Sands and Madarin Oriental isn’t too tough.

Not sure I could deal with the humidity full time though.
  • it took me about two weeks to fully acclimate to the humidity.

Would literally walk from apartment lobby to the kerb to get a cab to work and shirt would be soaked.