Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

Comments

• Can’t wait to watch a bore draw and go out on pens!!

Why not just not watch?
  • The key is to get the most out of your players. Some pretty mediocre teams on paper have won the WC and Euros, but they maximised their performance by having a strong system.

So often you see world class players frustrated and isolated, because they can't be fitted into how the team works.
  • With this team we a) Have a system devised to be effective in the competition b) Have practised set pieces c) are probably better prepared for penalties than any other side and d) have a natural goalscorer. Ok, we may not have the best players overall, but systems win World Cups - look at Messi's and Ronaldo's World Cup records.

I love the enthusiasm but surely points b and c are meaningless, who doesnt practice set pieces and how do you know how other teams have prepared for pens? Russia seemed to do ok.
  • Betfair says.....

90 mins
    England 45%
    Draw 30%
    Colombia 25%

To advance
    England 63%
    Colombia 37%
  • Winner 25% ...... Runner up 30% ..... losing semi finalist 20% ......losing quarter finalist 15% ...... losing last sixteen 10%

It’s coming home (well nearly)
  • The key is to get the most out of your players. Some pretty mediocre teams on paper have won the WC and Euros, but they maximised their performance by having a strong system.

So often you see world class players frustrated and isolated, because they can't be fitted into how the team works.

Or the rest of the team isn't fit to lace the boots of the star player. Hello, Argentina.
  • Anyone feeling nervous about this game? It's a 2am kickoff for me so I'm not going to watch it but I guess I'll either wake up during the game or have dreams about it. Back when Charlton were in the Premier League I always had dreams about our games if I didn't/couldn't watch them, probably because I thought about them too much before sleeping...
  • 1-0 Falcao goal just before half time, we labour through the second half and never look like scoring. Goes down as ‘the best chance we will ever get to go to a World Cup final’ even though we get exposed as being worse than Colombia etc.

Or we turn it on Euro 96 v Holland style, Kane grabs a hat trick and we move on to the most winnable quarter final we could ever get vs Sweden or Switzerland.........

Which one will it be?
  • Sponsored links:

• I had a dream last night about it too. We won 7-1 but were still knocked out. No idea why. :lol:
  • 1-0 Falcao goal just before half time, we labour through the second half and never look like scoring. Goes down as ‘the best chance we will ever get to go to a World Cup final’ even though we get exposed as being worse than Colombia etc.

Or we turn it on Euro 96 v Holland style, Kane grabs a hat trick and we move on to the most winnable quarter final we could ever get vs Sweden or Switzerland.........

Which one will it be?

We move on to the most winnable quarter final we could ever get..............then lose it.
  • So who has the England jitters this morning

Is it excitement

Is it pre match nerves

Is it my colitis

Or is it the dread of years of hurt and the impending abject disappointment of the clock running out as we trail by one goal

I stick with my 2-1 England win prediction and their big bawsy of a 6ft 6 centre half burying a header early doors

The nerves are now established deep in the gut
  • Nervous, our record in knockout matches is pathetic. However, I hope this is a New England who are not worried about the past.

2-1 win, a double from Harry Kane and a boost for the Colombian economy after that result.
  • i think if we win it will be a decent margin, i do think Colombia are going to put a lot of players behind the ball and try and break quickly which they are more than capable of doing, my only concern is our defence our last 10 games, we have kept 5 clean sheets.
  • i do think it is a huge opportunity against teams on paper we are better than - yes i know world cups aren't won on paper but its a huge opportunity and one i don't think we will get again.
  • ... how Wiesel gets in front of Dembele is beyond me...

+1 (x 100)

We've seen Dembele have most PL midfielders in his pocket for thr last 3-4 years since playing the holding role for Spurs yet Martinez doesnt use him. Its a real head scratcher that one!

• Just came across this article on another thread. Do spare five mins to read if you can.

https://theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/raheem-sterling-england-it-was-all-a-dream
  • The Belgian game was like a reminder of the England we have become all too familiar with in recent times.
    The contrast with the first 2 games was stark.
    It shows the measure of the progress under Southgate, tempered of course by the quality of the opposition.
    Trippier and Maguire (who'd a thought) have made a qualitative leap and are now key imo.
    We will have Lingard, Kane and Alli (?) back.
    Tonight will be a real marker of our recent progress and will answer a lot of questions.
    We have cause for optimism for a change, but any further progress will likely depend on keeping key players fit.. Belgium confirmed we have no strength in depth.
    Heart says the dream lives on.
    Head sees a lively start, Columbia nicking the lead, England outplaying for the majority but struggling to create and score, late Kane equaliser and lose on pens :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• We have a great chance, so glad we finished 2nd now :)

2/3 - 1 England tonight, hopefully we have the 2 goal cushion to settle the nerves. COYR COYE
  • The good news is that James rodriguez is still a major doubt. Even if they do risk him, i can't imagine he'd be more than 60-70% fit.
  • edited July 2018
    Bricking it about tonight, probably not helped by drinking an obscene amount of coffee all day.

Stupid 2AM ko. This is the first time I've regreted kicking the booze.
  • Personally think England have got nothing to lose tonight. Players should relax and just enjoy it and we fans should not be too judgemental.

Yes it's a great chance to go all the way, but it's a bit like a game show for this generation of players. They've gone in with little expectation of winning, so any progress is a bonus.

England 3-1 Colombia.
  • going to be a very long day, anyone in the bexleyheath area heading out to watch it so far have watched the tunisia game in the red barn, and the 1st half of the belgium game in there then made a half time dash to the yacht.
  • edited July 2018

The good news is that James rodriguez is still a major doubt. Even if they do risk him, i can't imagine he'd be more than 60-70% fit.

Any early heavy challenge from Maguire is needed on him then if he starts and isn’t fully fit.
  • edited July 2018

With this team we a) Have a system devised to be effective in the competition b) Have practised set pieces c) are probably better prepared for penalties than any other side and d) have a natural goalscorer. Ok, we may not have the best players overall, but systems win World Cups - look at Messi's and Ronaldo's World Cup records.

I love the enthusiasm but surely points b and c are meaningless, who doesnt practice set pieces and how do you know how other teams have prepared for pens? Russia seemed to do ok.
    Are you a previous England manager? There is preparing and preparing - There is something called over learning something. It is repetitive/boring but from what I understand, this has been England's approach. Southgate has targeted these areas as being key to winning a world cup. Even if we don't win it, I make him right where decent managers like Hoddle (penalties are a lottery) are wrong!
  • Bricking it about tonight, probably not helped by drinking an obscene amount of coffee all day.

Stupid 2AM ko. This is the first time I've regreted kicking the booze.

Proper English 'Mellow Birds' I hope, none of that Columbian shite!
  • Our last 3 tournament fixtures against them reads draw, draw, win, so not quite sure where the negativity comes from on this one.

And that was Hodgson's distinctly average 2012 team who beat them.

Such a meaningless comparison though. Not sure how relevant comparing a result in 1998 against them to 2018 is.

They're a quick, counter attacking side but defensively weak. They will cause us problems and may get a goal but we should have enough to overcome them.