Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miracle

Sorry if there's another thread - but tears of joy just welled up in my eyes.

The children lost in flooded caves in Thailand have been rescued alive.

Comments

• Absolutely bloody wonderful.
  • That's great news.
  • Great to hear some good news on here !
  • BBC reporting with caution. All 13 found and signs of life is what they are saying.

I remember an awful mining disaster some years ago in South America I think when about 20 men were trapped. First reports of the rescue said all but one had survived only for the actual fact to be only one had survived.
  • I also felt slightly surprised about just how good this news felt.
  • Fantastic news that they have been found. Hope that they manage to get them all out safely.
  • They haven't been rescued yet. They moved upwards in the caves to escape the flooding.
    They have now got to be rescued & the options appear to be pumping the water out, although more monsoons are predicted and or get them to use scuba gear, which I assume is easier said than done. I know I wouldn't fancy it.
  • edited July 2018
    Great news.

I explored* launching a "good, happy newspaper" about a decade ago but research suggested absolutely no demand for it.

*by explored I mean me and a work mate gave it some serious consideration over a few pints one night and never spoke of it again.

Have subsequently googled it and there genuinely doesn't seem to be a market for it which is bizarre considering how good feelgood stuff like this makes to your day rather than the usual 24/7 misery/ fear fest we are battered with.

• Check out this website by David Byrne - only good news here:

https://www.reasonstobecheerful.world/
  • Sorry but they are not safe yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018
    It’s being reported that the the main options right now are to:

1) Teach them how to dive so that they can be extracted while water levels are still high; or

2) Leave them down there until rainy season subsides enough for water levels to drop

The rainy season lasts until September apparently.

Neither option seems great and alternative extraction methods are being looked at - but it seems they will be underground for a while yet.

At least now they can get medical attention, food, water and some levels of comfort to them.

Given that they are 6 miles into the cave system it really is incredible that they were located at all.
  • It’s being reported that the the main options right now are to:

1) Teach them how to dive so that they can be extracted while water levels are still high; or

2) Leave them down there until rainy season subsides enough for water levels to drop

Neither option seems great and alternative extraction methods are being looked at - but it seems they will be underground for a while yet.

At least now they can get medical attention, food, water and some levels of comfort to them.

Given that they are 6 miles into the cave system it really is incredible that they were located at all.

The cavers doing the searching deserve a lot of credit if not a medal or two.
  • Great they've been located.
  • It’s being reported that the the main options right now are to:

One of the boys is heard asking where the divers are from. 'England' came the reply. Small lump in throat time!
  • Don't know if it's true or not but 1 boy is missing. The fat one with piggy eyes and nice plump thighs.
  • bobmunro said:

One of the boys is heard asking where the divers are from. 'England' came the reply. Small lump in throat time!
    Both divers are English mate. I think they've both been named as well
  • bobmunro said:

Both divers are English mate. I think they've both been named as well
    Yes I saw that yesterday.
  • They haven't been rescued yet. They moved upwards in the caves to escape the flooding.
    They have now got to be rescued & the options appear to be pumping the water out, although more monsoons are predicted and or get them to use scuba gear, which I assume is easier said than done. I know I wouldn't fancy it.

The best diver I've ever known told me how he almost died when he was cave diving. One of his dive buddies kicked up silt from the bottom and the visibility in the cave immediately went to zero. He told me that he spent an hour desperately clutching at rocks trying to find the entrance/exit of the chamber while completely blind and disorientated. He reckoned he was down to 10 minutes of air when he eventually made it out.
    I've no idea if the cave system the boys are trapped in are similar to those he described but I wouldn't want to try and navigate out of a claustrophobic underground space with panicky, inexperienced kids if it was possible to avoid it.
  • the monsoon can still be about in October ----one at a time with a diver is my guess but still a long way from bei g back to their loved ones---as said a good few times its nice to hear good news
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018
    Great news and problems getting the kids back is problematic but how did a football team get 6 miles intothe cave?
  • Apparently the Thai army has dive trained doctors as well
  • Solidgone said:

Great news and problems getting the kids back is problematic but how did a football team get 6 miles intothe cave?

I believe that as the water entered they kept moving higher to safe ground.
  • Solidgone said:

I believe that as the water entered they kept moving higher to safe ground.
    I can understand that but by all accounts they must have crawled through some rather small tunnels. It just seem so frightening for these youngsters. Fingers crossed.
  • Carter said:

I've been diving quite a bit in open water and only once in a confined space and it tightened my arse up like nothing else I've ever done. I'm really proud of the divers who have located the kids and I really hope they all make it out alive.

The divers are heroes

Even more than that false fingernail?
  • The divers landed at the airport. They Thai Government had a driver to take them straight to their hotel and they said no - lets go straight to the dive site.

The French divers are still in the Hotel restaurant complaining about the wine.