Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

Comments

• Pickford doesn't look like a real goalkeeper, his positioning is all over the shop, he looks small (though apparently 6' 1") and generally unathletic.

We all got carried away after spanking a poor Panama, but my god that Belgium game was a return to business as usual for England playing tournament football. Like Charlton in recent years, no strength in depth, and probably only Kane is truly world class.

I know I predicted failure to get out of the group, but I can't see a win against Colombia.

Fancy a little bet for The Upbeats? I've got a tenner that says we'll win. @EveshamAddick
  • I also think that set plays are going to be crucial for England. So far we have caused a lot of problems for teams from corners and free kicks. I don’t think Colombia will be particularly strong defending these. VAR might be useful.
  • I also think that set plays are going to be crucial for England. So far we have caused a lot of problems for teams from corners and free kicks. I don’t think Colombia will be particularly strong defending these. VAR might be useful.

They have looked very good on attacking set plays though. Mina is going to take some handling.
  • edited June 2018
    Kane, Henderson, and VAR are now our 3 most important assets.
  • Pickford doesn't look like a real goalkeeper, his positioning is all over the shop, he looks small (though apparently 6' 1") and generally unathletic.

We all got carried away after spanking a poor Panama, but my god that Belgium game was a return to business as usual for England playing tournament football. Like Charlton in recent years, no strength in depth, and probably only Kane is truly world class.

I know I predicted failure to get out of the group, but I can't see a win against Colombia.

Fuck me........talk about glass half empty!

Fancy a little bet for The Upbeats? I've got a tenner that says we'll win. @EveshamAddick
    Yes, why not....

Put it this way, I would have been more positive playing Japan next.

Yes, why not....
    We're on!
  • Sponsored links:

Yes, why not....
    We're on!
    Stu pays in Renminbi, Evesham in sterling.
  • edited June 2018
    Pickford is a Premiership keeper - not the best but ok and little point in people picking holes in his game. He has strengths and weaknesses but he is ok.

Colombia are just not equipped to beat us.
  • Pickford is a Premiership keeper - not the best but ok and little point in people picking holes in his game. He has strengths and weaknesses but he is ok.

This.
  • Pickford is a Premiership keeper - not the best but ok and little point in people picking holes in his game. He has strengths and weaknesses but he is ok.

It’s England though, I’m sure some people just want them to fail.

Put it this way, I would have been more positive playing Japan next.
    But we're not Golfie!
  • Sage said:

Both Southgate and Martinez managed teams who got relegated from the Premier League (Boro and Wigan)...

Yes... and Fabio Capello has won numerous league titles in more than one country as well as the Champions League for AC Milan. Doesn’t mean anything.

Southgate got relegated when he wasn’t really a proper manager, didn’t have the qualifications at the time and in his first season he guided them to a mid-table finish, and how many years ago was that?

Martinez got relegated with Wigan, a small club in the scheme of things who had their time in the Premier League, was never going to last.

I don’t think looking at previous club successes is the greatest way of determining who can be a success on the international stage. The job is so different in many aspects. Some are better at club level, some are better at international level.
    I wasn't suggesting that this made them bad international managers, but it is an interesting coincidence

Trippier is crucial for this, the difference in quality and threat when Alexander-Arnold was taking them was massive
  • I'm amazed how positive people are about this. Have you not like me actually been watching England for the last forty years?
  • Indeed JM.... fully expecting a kick in the gnads a la Charlton proportions.

Trying to convince myself we will get through this one and go out to someone decent in the next quarters.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm amazed how positive people are about this. Have you not like me actually been watching England for the last forty years?

Yes I have, and longer, but I'm an eternal optimist.

We have too much baggage,
    Seeing England snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, red cards, bad luck, penalty misses, goals disallowed, or sheer poor performances.
    This young side will give their all but the wins against Tunisia and Panama count for little once we hit the sudden death of knock out football.
    Sterling needs to find his man city form soon if we aren't realiant on Kane and set pieces to get our goals.
    Just can't see our defence coping once we play one of the top sides.
    You never know that might not be till we are in the semi final proving people like me wrong.
  • We are gonna spank them 4-0 and ride the wave all the way to the final. Come on England.
  • Kane hattrick 3-1
  • Maybe 3-2 if they lucky
  • We will win a nervy 2-1

Their big centre half the 6ft 6 one will smack in a header early doors

Dele Ali equalizer with Kane just after half time to win it

We will then lose to Sweden and come home
  • We will race into a 3-0 lead in the first half, chill out 2nd half and they'll get a consolation goal with 10 mins remaining

Kane 2
    Henderson.
  • I think we have a good chance against Colombia, especially if their best player is out. But having watched England for more than 10 minutes I'm aware of our often mental failures and lack of luck.

Anything after this round is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.
    one things for sure, however far we get is gonna be because of a team effort and not one player.

It's a very young and inexperienced team and I'd argue manager (internationally wise). We have some good players, but only really 1 world class player. And no real class free kick taker which can make a big difference at this level.

1\4 finals putting in a good performance would be an achievement and something to build on to the Euros.