Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Ogogo said no thanks. Centre mid and another forward a priority. No mention of a keeper coming in. Maloney and Lapslie on the plane to portugal
  • shirty5 said:

Ogogo said no thanks. Centre mid and another forward a priority. No mention of a keeper coming in. Maloney and Lapslie on the plane to portugal

I think you misheard him. He said another centre forward would be a priority if Vetekele & Magennis left. Doesn't think Vetekele will be here due to his wages & that Maynard-Brewer, Lapslie & Mahoney will be part of the squad.....although not to play regularly as they aren't ready. Main priority was a tough centre midfielder as we only have Aribo & JFC.

Says we will have a small squad & I reckon we'll only bring a player in when one leaves, and not before

Looks like we're in for a long hard season. Top 2 my arse !!!
  • shirty5 said:

Ogogo said no thanks. Centre mid and another forward a priority. No mention of a keeper coming in. Maloney and Lapslie on the plane to portugal

I think you misheard him. He said another centre forward would be a priority if Vetekele & Magennis left. Doesn't think Vetekele will be here due to his wages & that Maynard-Brewer, Lapslie & Mahoney will be part of the squad.....although not to play regularly as they aren't ready. Main priority was a tough centre midfielder as we only have Aribo & JFC.

Says we will have a small squad & I reckon we'll only bring a player in when one leaves, and not before

Fair enough. I was struggling to hear what Bow was saying at times during that interview.
  • shirty5 said:

Vetokele.
  • I got the distinct impression he was expecting Magennis to go as well. Didn’t spot him in the training piece on Valley pass
  • Went to see and try to get doodoo.
    Dear god.
  • Depressing video, sounds like Vet and Mag definitely off, Bauer still maybe.

Tiny, tiny squad for new season and Bowyer saying ‘it is what it is’ and we are a League One club and have to be that or similar at one point is hardly inspiring.

Gawd I hope this takeover happens and soon!
  • I got the distinct impression he was expecting Magennis to go as well. Didn’t spot him in the training piece on Valley pass

He played for Norn Iron just a few weeks ago.

No doubt given an extra week's recovery/rest before returning.

• Valley Pass is so frustrating - I don't want to sign up, even if it's free. Just put your free content on the YouTube channel like every other normal club does.
  • Sponsored links:

• ^ it was on the link for free. I watched it and have never had Valleypass.
  • ^ it was on the link for free. I watched it and have never had Valleypass.

Also on YouTube site
  • Well that makes me look like a bit of a wally but I don't blame myself for giving up on the CAFC YouTube channel after that period of no videos in about three months.
  • Blucher said:

I got the distinct feeling that the club are hoping to move Magennis on. Yes, Bolton did come for him last January, but Richard Cawley reported at the time that Oldham wanted too much for Craig Davies and so the deal fell through (I see Davies recently went to Mansfield for an undisclosed fee). At the time, of course, Bolton had just lost Gary Madine for £5 million (£5 million!) and were casting around for a centre forward at short notice. They may well look elsewhere this summer and I don't think Charlton can assume that a similar offer will be forthcoming again. Mind you, Roland's 'discount for cash' approach will doubtless see some sort of deal done. If only he adopted the same approach to selling the club as he does to flogging our players.

Whilst discussing Magennis and Bauer, Bowyer said that, if players got the chance to play in the Championship, you couldn't begrudge them that. Very worryingly, that sounds as if an improved Blackburn bid for Bauer could see him gone, leaving us with two central defenders - Pearce (who has suffered his fair share of injuries) and Naby Sarr (who is not up to it). We had five last year.

Another disappointment for me was Bowyer not mentioning Anfernee Djiksteel as one of our central midfield players. He said that Lapslie and Taylor Maloney were next in line behind JFC and Joe Aribo. Given that Chris Solly may not be fit for the start of the season and Roland is not interested in funding a full back, Djiksteel is probably going to have to fill in there. Like many others, I would like to see him deployed in his proper position.

All in all, whilst Lyle Taylor looks a very good signing and a major upgrade on Magennis, I fear we are in for a season of struggle and inconsistency, given the threadbare nature of the squad and Duchatelet's latest austerity measures. What on earth are we going to do once injuries bite over the course of a tough 46 game season ? Thus it ever was under this dreadful regime.

The most disappointing thing for me in the whole interview was as you mentioned too, that he didn’t mention Dijksteel as a centre midfielder at all. And I am fairly sure Anfernee would be far more disappointed too.
  • Sage said:

Blucher said:

I got the distinct feeling that the club are hoping to move Magennis on. Yes, Bolton did come for him last January, but Richard Cawley reported at the time that Oldham wanted too much for Craig Davies and so the deal fell through (I see Davies recently went to Mansfield for an undisclosed fee). At the time, of course, Bolton had just lost Gary Madine for £5 million (£5 million!) and were casting around for a centre forward at short notice. They may well look elsewhere this summer and I don't think Charlton can assume that a similar offer will be forthcoming again. Mind you, Roland's 'discount for cash' approach will doubtless see some sort of deal done. If only he adopted the same approach to selling the club as he does to flogging our players.

Whilst discussing Magennis and Bauer, Bowyer said that, if players got the chance to play in the Championship, you couldn't begrudge them that. Very worryingly, that sounds as if an improved Blackburn bid for Bauer could see him gone, leaving us with two central defenders - Pearce (who has suffered his fair share of injuries) and Naby Sarr (who is not up to it). We had five last year.

Another disappointment for me was Bowyer not mentioning Anfernee Djiksteel as one of our central midfield players. He said that Lapslie and Taylor Maloney were next in line behind JFC and Joe Aribo. Given that Chris Solly may not be fit for the start of the season and Roland is not interested in funding a full back, Djiksteel is probably going to have to fill in there. Like many others, I would like to see him deployed in his proper position.

All in all, whilst Lyle Taylor looks a very good signing and a major upgrade on Magennis, I fear we are in for a season of struggle and inconsistency, given the threadbare nature of the squad and Duchatelet's latest austerity measures. What on earth are we going to do once injuries bite over the course of a tough 46 game season ? Thus it ever was under this dreadful regime.

The most disappointing thing for me in the whole interview was as you mentioned too, that he didn’t mention Dijksteel as a centre midfielder at all. And I am fairly sure Anfernee would be far more disappointed too.
    perhaps he's off ????
  • Bolton have signed Clayton Donaldson. That ship has sailed with regards to them signing Magennis. Id be suprised if there's a queue of championship clubs looking to sign him so expect he'll still be here next season.
  • Well that makes me look like a bit of a wally but I don't blame myself for giving up on the CAFC YouTube channel after that period of no videos in about three months.

In the words of Lee Bowyer, it is what it is.
  • Ross said:

Well that makes me look like a bit of a wally but I don't blame myself for giving up on the CAFC YouTube channel after that period of no videos in about three months.

His catch phrase but a good one.

I like his interviews, upbeat but not OTT, not too many clichés and gives some information out.
    seth plum said:

Went to see and try to get doodoo.
    Dear god.

@seth plum change the settings on your hearing aid.

He never mentioned Doodoo.

He was talking about Ogogo (spelling) a midfielder who's gone to Coventry
  • Sponsored links:

• I got the impression that he has no problem with having a very small squad....
  • Ross said:

Well that makes me look like a bit of a wally but I don't blame myself for giving up on the CAFC YouTube channel after that period of no videos in about three months.

His catch phrase but a good one.

I like his interviews, upbeat but not OTT, not too many clichés and gives some information out.
    seth plum said:

Went to see and try to get doodoo.
    Dear god.

@seth plum change the settings on your hearing aid.

He never mentioned Doodoo.

He was talking about Ogogo (spelling) a midfielder who's gone to Coventry
    Fair point.
    The wind in the Mic and other sounds made me mis hear.
  • I got the impression that he has no problem with having a very small squad....

Because he doesn't expect to be here very long!
  • LoOkOuT said:

I got the impression that he has no problem with having a very small squad....

Because he doesn't expect to be here very long!
    Sigh. :cry:
  • If he cannot see the quality of Aribo and Djiksteel as midfielders, I worry about our destiny.
  • If he cannot see the quality of Aribo and Djiksteel as midfielders, I worry about our destiny.

May well be that he knows Djiksteel will be need at full back. Solely won’t play every game and if I’m honest I wouldn’t have him as first choice now anyway.

• Sounds like josh may be one of those on his way!

Shame I am a fan of josh.
  • Sounds like josh may be one of those on his way!

Josh hasn't been the same since his injury v MIllwall. Just prior to that he'd scored a great hat-trick v Bristol Rovers and generally looked really good. He's still done a decent job for the team (got some goals and done his bit defensively) but since that injury he's barely scored a goal with his feet.
  • Simonsen said:

Sounds like josh may be one of those on his way!

Josh hasn't been the same since his injury v MIllwall. Just prior to that he'd scored a great hat-trick v Bristol Rovers and generally looked really good. He's still done a decent job for the team (got some goals and done his bit defensively) but since that injury he's barely scored a goal with his feet.
    Should drop him back into defence like Doherty & Dublin did. He's never going to be a prolific striker.
  • I think he lacks self confidence and belief in himself. He missed so many clear cut chances last season he should have had 20 goals easy.