Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

England are favourites but can we really finally win a knockout game for the first time since 2002? (With the exception of Ecuador in 2006......)

Is James Rodriguez out for Colombia following his 30th minute substitution earlier today? Big blow for Colombia if he doesn't recover in time.

Comments

• edited June 2018
    Colombia? Slow?
  • If we don’t win this game then we don’t deserve to progress. Columbia are average at best .
  • Colombia will attack us and potentially leave gaps for us to exploit... Lingard / Sterling should be back which'll add pace to our attacks and so put more pressure on the Defences

Kane will also return and by dropping deep at times like he has done in recent games, will force the Centre Backs out of position as they look to tightly mark him

We'll also have Trippier back who for me is one of the Players of the Tournament at the moment

Japan on the other hand could easily have been a repeat of Iceland; tight at the back, few forays forward to get the needed goal and then sit back and watch us break our backs against their two lines
  • Colombia? Slow?

They werent exactly quick against Senegal, rather labourous I thought and nothing like the same side that defeated Poland
  • They have some very decent players but a team without James Rodriguez is an average team in the knock out stages.

I think if we play as we have done other than tonight, and use the pace in the team, be direct at times, we can cause them problems.

We must play Rose instead of Young, as otherwise I could see Cuadardo causing us problems with Young at left wing back.

I think it’s about right making us slight favourites for this match. We have a world class goal scorer and lots of dynamic and quick players around him. The worry for me is we are yet to keep a clean sheet, and that is a slight concern going forward as you don’t win anything having to score at least 2 each game.

Looking forward to it but it’s going to be tough. I think we will win.
  • edited June 2018
    Oh lovely... a few head2head stats for people

Tonight was only Belgium's second ever win over us - Colombia have never beaten England either... Funnily we've won more than we've lost against all the teams in our half of the draw
  • Confident.

After James Rodrigues, their two best players (Falcao and Cuadrado) couldn't cut it at Chelsea.

Need to attack them like "bull dogs" from the off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Daddy_Pig said:

England are favourites but can we really finally win a knockout game for the first time since 2002?

Is James Rodriguez out for Colombia following his 30th minute substitution earlier today? Big blow for Colombia if he doesn't recover in time.

Ecuador in 2006
    I stand corrected! Good sign that it was a South American team.......
  • Confident.

After James Rodrigues, their two best players (Falcao and Cuadrado) couldn't cut it at Chelsea.

Need to attack them like "bull dogs" from the off.

Probably our greatest fault tonight... Against Tunisia / Panama and the warm up friendlies we got out of the blocks at a canter - tonight though was so lethargic
  • Personally think Cuadrado, James & Falcao have the ability to hurt our defence.
    Likewise Kane, Alli and Lingard can hurt theirs.

I think man for man we edge it. Never really rated Ospina in goal for them, always looks suspect and providing we are organised and play the quick football we've seen more of lately I'd expect us to beat them.
  • edited June 2018

De Bruyne and Salah "couldn't cut it at Chelsea" either.

Not sure on the history, but a Chelsea fan I spoke to yesterday suggested that Cuadrado and Falcao had more than enough chances and was a bit pissed off they looked like such World beaters against the Poles.

And Falcao was mid twenties when at Chelsea I think???

Not sure KDB and Salah ever got a proper chance there, but maybe wrong.
  • De Bruyne and Salah "couldn't cut it at Chelsea" either.

Not sure on the history, but a Chelsea fan I spoke to yesterday suggested that Cuadrado and Falcao had more than enough chances and was a bit pissed off they looked like such World beaters against the Poles.

Falcao featured in 10 Premier League games for Chelsea, completed 90 minutes just once and was restricted to 15-20 minutes otherwise. Played a total of 229 minutes.

Cuadrado on the other hand was virtually spoilt. 13 games (started 4, other 9 as sub) he got a total of 337 minutes, only twice playing more than 45 minutes.
  • As a comparison...Salah (most agree he was never given a fair crack at Chelsea) played 19 games and totalled nearly 900 minutes!!!
  • Just to finish it off, KDB only played 9 games for Chelsea but still got 425 minutes.

Not having a dig @EdgeleyAddick you said yourself you were going off what a Chelsea mate told ya. Just given some stats to the topic that's all :smile:
  • A team we have to beat if we’re serious about doing well in this tournament.
  • Columbia were very average against Senegal, they have some good players, but England should beat them.

James Rodriguez hasn't been right all tournament, even if he plays on Tuesday he won't be the player who lit up the WC 4 years ago anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• Feel good about our chances against a South American team on European soil... but this is England we're talking about!
  • De Bruyne and Salah "couldn't cut it at Chelsea" either.

Falcao featured in 10 Premier League games for Chelsea, completed 90 minutes just once and was restricted to 15-20 minutes otherwise. Played a total of 229 minutes.

Cuadrado on the other hand was virtually spoilt. 13 games (started 4, other 9 as sub) he got a total of 337 minutes, only twice playing more than 45 minutes.
    Whilst he is a little past his best, Falcao has been a wonderful player for a long time now. He has been playing CL with Monaco for the past few seasons, and still has enough in his locker to cause us problems with his movement.

The fact that he and Cuadrado didn't make it in the PL doesn't matter, they both are good enough to damage us at key moments, and the little midfielder Quintero is a really good player, with an excellent set piece delivery.

This was the game that always worried me, as if this Colombian team gets in front of us, then I see no route back, as I don't think our set piece advantage will be as relevant the further we go in the tournament.

We desperately lack a playmaker, who can hit a killer decisive pass or thread somebody through a set defensive line - Shelvey would have been a good option, but it seems that Southgate has made up his mind on him.
  • Lo think they may steal a march on us.
  • If we don’t win this game then we don’t deserve to progress.

That's how knock out football works : - )
  • Colombia are a very good side and will attack on the counter with pace. This is going to be a tough game for England.
  • Columbia were very average against Senegal, they have some good players, but England should beat them.

James Rodriguez hasn't been right all tournament, even if he plays on Tuesday he won't be the player who lit up the WC 4 years ago anyway

He played well against Poland.
  • Just to finish it off, KDB only played 9 games for Chelsea but still got 425 minutes.

Not having a dig @EdgeleyAddick you said yourself you were going off what a Chelsea mate told ya. Just given some stats to the topic that's all :smile:

Interesting. Suppose it goes to show how players get written off by fans unfairly or they just don't get very long to click at certain clubs.

I saw Cuadrado once for Colombia in a friendly. He was an attacking threat down the wing, but his crossing was hit and miss. Rodriguez played too and showed some skill, but didn't impact the game massively.

I reckon England's first 11 on top form should beat them.

• Whilst I don't think this means we are guaranteed a place in the next round...

Columbia have not impressed me thus tournament at all apart from the little left footed midfielder I don't see that we should be fearful. Need to be a bit less naive defensively
  • If the game is on BBC we win

Have we ever won a match on ITV?
  • I think, like Argentina would be - Columbia are too slow to threaten us. Providing we employ the strength and pace we did in the first two group games, I can't see how they can beat us! If their best player is out, that only helps us more!