Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ring video doorbell

Lifers
I'm thinking about getting one of these. Quite like the idea of seeing who is at the door when I'm not home, possibly talking to them and having video of anyone that comes up the path towards the door. I don't have power so the rechargeable batteries appeal.
Anyone got any experience of them or any other ones?

Comments

• My boss from my former work had this and delighted in showing people in the office the faces of various couriers.
    He was a massive massive prick.
    Maybe if you get one you won’t be, maybe...?
  • Fumbluff said:

My boss from my former work had this and delighted in showing people in the office the faces of various couriers.
    He was a massive massive prick.
    Maybe if you get one you won’t be, maybe...?

Eerie. My last boss did the same. In fact, he was an abject example of how not to run a business in general.
  • Chizz said:

It's a very efficient way of confirming to callers that you're not at home.

Traditionally, someone could knock and, if there's no answer, they might assume you're in the bath or asleep or listening to loud music.

But now, with a disembodied face talking to them, they can be absolutely certain no-one is home.

That's what you weigh up I suppose

If you aren't in and foul play occurs you have imagery of whoever has been foul

On the other hand, it does confirm 100% nobody is home.

Weirdly I've had a couple of knocks on the door recently of people who are blatantly up to no good. I suspect this happens a lot during the day.

Next door have a pack of dogs that have now got a regular walker, if the dogs are home nobody really gets disturbed during the day.

Get yourself a German Shepherd instead mate, they keep undesirables away and if not, they get to eat a burglar
  • bbob said:

Lifers
    I'm thinking about getting one of these. Quite like the idea of seeing who is at the door when I'm not home, possibly talking to them and having video of anyone that comes up the path towards the door. I don't have power so the rechargeable batteries appeal.
    Anyone got any experience of them or any other ones?

I have the battery one and I like it. Main purpose for me is to get an alert if someone is at my door, day or night. Battery has been in for a month so far without needing to charge.

At night I set my phone to silent except for the app, so it's kind of like an alarm.

The speaker thing is more of a feature than the purpose in my mind, if I'm expecting a delivery I might use it and tell them where to leave it but for a random caller I'm not going to speak to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Going for a Nest Hello, got a load of Nest stuff in the house already, so keep it all in one place
  • Know of someone who has one of these. He reported an Amazon delivery driver because they stood by his front door too long for his liking.

If it was Yodel he wouldn't have seen the driver but instead seen his parcel get thrown at the door
  • We've got the Ring Pro. Its wired into the mains and not battery operated Had it about a year now. We've got 2 other ring cameras set up around the house, one covering the side path and door (and most importantly the cat flap) and one covering the patio and log cabin with a security floodlight.

Its good, not brilliant. You need a decent internet connection and network. If you havent, forget it. Works ok if your phone is on 4G with decent signal, anything else, forget it.

I should say, we've also got 6 wired 1080p CCTV cameras installed around the outside of the house but they were installed before the age of full mobile phone integration. It'll happily record crystal clear footage for 16-17 days and we can access a live feed through our phones or a browser but it wont send alerts through SMTP, text or phone notification. Thus why we bought the ring products, which was cheaper than having our wired system replaced which works perfectly well.

We get an alert now as soon as someone/something sets foot on the driveway. The side/garden cameras do a great job of letting us keep an eye on our cats and we can always check back when they went in/out the house.

Never say never but cant imagine anything happening at home, we have the nosiest neighbours in history.
  • Halix said:

Carter said:

Chizz said:

Traditionally, someone could knock and, if there's no answer, they might assume you're in the bath or asleep or listening to loud music.

But now, with a disembodied face talking to them, they can be absolutely certain no-one is home.

Weirdly I've had a couple of knocks on the door recently of people who are blatantly up to no good. I suspect this happens a lot during the day.

Next door have a pack of dogs that have now got a regular walker, if the dogs are home nobody really gets disturbed during the day.

Get yourself a German Shepherd instead mate, they keep undesirables away and if not, they get to eat a burglar
    And let it destroy your furniture and shit on the carpet instead.

Much cheaper just to wire your doorbell to the mains.
    Something tells me you're not a dog person...
  • Halix said:

Carter said:

Chizz said:

And let it destroy your furniture and shit on the carpet instead./blockquote>

Always liked that assumption, we have cream carpets through the house, a leather suite and glass dining table. The worse damage our dogs have done was when I'd left a internet filter box on the coffee table and JJ as a baby chewed it. A bored dog is a destructive one, we give ours the occasional courier to play with. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Neither Duchatelet nor the former directors are “entitled” to get their money back on any basis except the agreement they made when they loaned it.

The ex-directors at least have a legal arrangement with a third party - him; what does Duchatelet have? In effect, a promise he made to himself when he gave his money away to other clubs, inadequate players and even CACT and the neighbouring rugby club. Good luck expecting someone else to pay for that.

But do they know who's knocking at their door?
    Still chuckling.
  • Neither Duchatelet nor the former directors are “entitled” to get their money back on any basis except the agreement they made when they loaned it.

The ex-directors at least have a legal arrangement with a third party - him; what does Duchatelet have? In effect, a promise he made to himself when he gave his money away to other clubs, inadequate players and even CACT and the neighbouring rugby club. Good luck expecting someone else to pay for that.

Easy mistake to make.

Bell and Duchatelet.
  • got two Border Terriers, enough said.
  • When somebody rings my bell, I always asked who's there, usually it's Knock Knock
  • JohnBoyUK said:

We've got the Ring Pro. Its wired into the mains and not battery operated Had it about a year now. We've got 2 other ring cameras set up around the house, one covering the side path and door (and most importantly the cat flap) and one covering the patio and log cabin with a security floodlight.

Its good, not brilliant. You need a decent internet connection and network. If you havent, forget it. Works ok if your phone is on 4G with decent signal, anything else, forget it.

I should say, we've also got 6 wired 1080p CCTV cameras installed around the outside of the house but they were installed before the age of full mobile phone integration. It'll happily record crystal clear footage for 16-17 days and we can access a live feed through our phones or a browser but it wont send alerts through SMTP, text or phone notification. Thus why we bought the ring products, which was cheaper than having our wired system replaced which works perfectly well.

We get an alert now as soon as someone/something sets foot on the driveway. The side/garden cameras do a great job of letting us keep an eye on our cats and we can always check back when they went in/out the house.

Never say never but cant imagine anything happening at home, we have the nosiest neighbours in history.

Can you have the Ring app set up on more than 1 device?
  • bbob said:

JohnBoyUK said:

We've got the Ring Pro. Its wired into the mains and not battery operated Had it about a year now. We've got 2 other ring cameras set up around the house, one covering the side path and door (and most importantly the cat flap) and one covering the patio and log cabin with a security floodlight.

Can you have the Ring app set up on more than 1 device?
    Yes.
  • When somebody rings my bell, I always asked who's there, usually it's Knock Knock

Answer.........Anita Ward.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

6 CCTV cameras around your house? I take it you live somewhere where theft is rife!?
  • 6 CCTV cameras around your house? I take it you live somewhere where theft is rife!?

No, not at all. Had a couple of burglaries and a 3 cars stolen off driveways in out road over the last 18 months but thats about it.

We've both been victims of burglaries in the past but not scarred by them. Just like to know who sets foot on my property when I'm not there... like catching my neighbour in my garden taking cuttings of my plants and having a nose around... catching my neighbour using my skip for his rubbish... catching my neighbour gawping in our living room window when watering his front garden... catching him walk into our house uninvited to talk to our builder when we had work done... you get the idea what my real issue is but more paramount is where my cats are!
  • I have a stick-up cam from Ring and it's great just to have a record of who comes to the front of your house. I don't look at the footage from one week to another but it's handy to check if anyone has been to your door at unexpected times and it has saved me missing the odd delivery on occasion e.g. when down the bottom of my garden.