Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Cold War

Yep, it's definitely close season, all sorts of topics up for discussion over the summer. I've recently started listening to a radio 4 podcast series called Cold War: Stories from the big freeze. Basically, they take a story from a number of countries affected by the cold war and how communism spread. I knew of the cold war from the fall of the berlin wall and Gorbachev etc from when I was young, but some of the stories they cover are very harrowing.

The Chinese cultural revolution sounded particularly brutal.

It's very good listening and I'm learning a lot. Be keen to hear from any other lifers who are interested in this subject

Comments

• Henry Jnr studied it at A level.

That's right old people, your lives are literally now history.

I do know someone who held back the Third Soviet Shock Army by himself but he doesn't like to talk about it (much)
  • Always had an interest in this period especially where films are concerned. I love Len Deighton's Harry Palmer trilogy. Others worthy of note are 3 (unconnected) Paul Newman films: The Prize, Torn Curtain and The Mackintosh Man.
  • Mrs Plum had to live through the cultural Revolution.
    It was a very damaging time indeed.
  • I'm interested. But I can't make any comments. :wink:

the one on the cultural revolution was nuts. They spoke to this chap who was the son of a teacher and his dad was literally hounded to death by members of the red party. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing
  • seth plum said:

Mrs Plum had to live through the cultural Revolution.
    It was a very damaging time indeed.

That’s nothing, @Oggy Red had to live through the industrial revolution
  • edited June 2018
    This is well worth a watch cabbies.

Same people as made The World at War. They talk to some incredibly influential people from that time - Bush Snr, Castro, Gorbachev, and Kissinger to name a few.

I will check out the podcast. Seems interesting too.