Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fans Director.

I have given this a lot of thought about whether it would be beneficial to have a duly elected Fans Director when we get new owners. Or if it would be best for the Aussies, or British to liaise with The Supporters Trust.

I would prefer to see no ex staff or CL glitterati involved and a fan with a long term track record at the Club.
Someone like Jean Huelin would be ideal for me.
What do other people think?

Comments

• Addickted would be a first class candidate.
  • dickplumb said:

I have given this a lot of thought about whether it would be beneficial to have a duly elected Fans Director when we get new owners. Or if it would be best for the Aussies, or British to liaise with The Supporters Trust.

I would prefer to see no ex staff or CL glitterati involved and a fan with a long term track record at the Club.
    Someone like Jean Huelin would be ideal for me.
    What do other people think?

Boring, immature, provocative.
    What a strange thing to say.......or am I about to get a whoosh?
  • This feels a bit like part 2 of your forum wars debate.

Bog off.
  • The Trust would be best to nominate someone. The nominated person could be voted on via the Trust's exsisting voting processes
  • edited June 2018
    Zzzzzzz people trying to create Eastenders online. As long as they’re competent and represent the majority of fans I couldn’t give a toss
  • edited June 2018

This feels a bit like part 2 of your forum wars debate.

Bog off.

Who was that comment directed at canters?
  • This feels a bit like part 2 of your forum wars debate.

Bog off.

Who was that comment directed at canters?
    The original poster.
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCTrust is a democratic organisation, and so is the only place to get a representative elected. It might also attract more members.
  • NugNug
    edited June 2018
    The supporters trust of course.
  • If any director of Charlton isn't already a fan, they can fuck off.
  • Has to be @Grapevine49 for me.
  • Chizz said:

If any director of Charlton isn't already a fan, they can fuck off.

That's what the EFL said, and now we're still waiting for the takeover. :wink:

The board meetings would be quality but long.

The board meetings would be quality but long.

Nobody's going to want to take the minutes for that!
  • ignoring the OP's attempt to start an argument I think electing someone from just the Trust members could be seen as being inclusive and surely it needs to be open for any season ticket holder to put themselves forward. There are plenty of good candidates out there who are maybe not trust members. It worked well in the past - Wendy Perfect, Ben Hayes, the late Craig Norris - all did good jobs in my opinion.
  • Maybe season ticket holders should automatically become members of the trust.
  • Sponsored links:

• ignoring the OP's attempt to start an argument I think electing someone from just the Trust members could be seen as being inclusive and surely it needs to be open for any season ticket holder to put themselves forward. There are plenty of good candidates out there who are maybe not trust members. It worked well in the past - Wendy Perfect, Ben Hayes, the late Craig Norris - all did good jobs in my opinion.

Were the 3 named people elected by VIP members & not season ticket holders though?
  • Being a director is – or should be – a responsible position, requiring time, energy, and a degree of relevant expertise.
    If there is a position created for a fans director I feel we should not narrow the field from the start by restricting those eligible due to their membership / non-membership of certain groups within the fan-base such as the Supporters’ Trust, Charlton Life, protest groups.

I expect that the ownership directors are likely to be successful business men/women, and my personal vote would be more likely to go to a fan candidate who in addition to their fan credentials also has experience of running a business as they would be able to talk to the other directors in terms they would recognise and be more likely to respect.

If the opportunity for an elected fan director arises, whoever is voted on should have the time and skills to take responsibility for overseeing some aspect of the CAFC business. We are in a mess, as we all recognise, and there should be no room on the Board for passengers. Yes, a fans director would have responsibilities for being a conduit between fans and owners, but they are more likely to gain the confidence of both fellow directors and fans if they are also able to play an active part in oversight & implementation of agreed actions.
  • I think we should be able to cast a vote as to who it would be....as in we vote for the fan out of several options available that will be a part of the board etc.

If a candidate said "I pledge to barge in the queue and eat all the buffet sandwiches before sue" They would likely get my vote.

• edited June 2018
    I have absolutely no interest in the role and never have had, just for the record. Hope that helps.
  • Another vote for Grapevine, though I doubt he would want it.
  • edited June 2018
    I think the priority should be to get an owner that wants to own us, a Chairman / CEO and Finance Director first off.

That said, if they decide to go down the Fans Director route it should be offered to someone with a full, open vote to all Charlton fans.

I'm still not convinced a Fans Director is a good idea. With respect to those who filled the role previously, I think the lines are often too blurred between the best interests of the club and fans, so much so it's impossible to be fully effective and ultimately becomes divisive within the community you seek to represent.
  • bobmunro said:

N01R4M said:

Being a director is – or should be – a responsible position, requiring time, energy, and a degree of relevant expertise.
    If there is a position created for a fans director I feel we should not narrow the field from the start by restricting those eligible due to their membership / non-membership of certain groups within the fan-base such as the Supporters’ Trust, Charlton Life, protest groups.

I expect that the ownership directors are likely to be successful business men/women, and my personal vote would be more likely to go to a fan candidate who in addition to their fan credentials also has experience of running a business as they would be able to talk to the other directors in terms they would recognise and be more likely to respect.

If the opportunity for an elected fan director arises, whoever is voted on should have the time and skills to take responsibility for overseeing some aspect of the CAFC business. We are in a mess, as we all recognise, and there should be no room on the Board for passengers. Yes, a fans director would have responsibilities for being a conduit between fans and owners, but they are more likely to gain the confidence of both fellow directors and fans if they are also able to play an active part in oversight & implementation of agreed actions.

Henners can correct me if I'm wrong but I see the primary duty, almost to the exclusion of all other duties, is to be the fans conduit with the board. I'm assuming it's a non-exec position and experience in commerce is not required in my opinion as the 'fans director' wouldn't have a commercial role to play.

For that reason I'm not entirely sure I agree with having one, rather I would prefer to see the Trust having a much more active and collaborative relationship with the owners.
    The role was never very well defined, which was one of its problems but in general terms I agree with your definition @bobmunro

Imho a fan director does need some financial/ commercial knowledge although not to the level of being an expert.

The question I would raise is why one person and why in a role where confidentially and collective responsibility limit the ability to communicate?

But a JNC model or fans forum also has its limitations.

• I wouldn't vote for Jean Huelin !

Fanny Fanackapan gets my vote.