Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Manic Street Preachers

Without doubt the most underrated and unappreciated Rock band of all time. They have been producing top quality music for well over 20 years but no one ever seems to champion them.

Comments

• Not wrong, consistently good albums, and superb live. Seen them about three times always incredible
  • They're s h 1 t

Not a fan then mate :wink:
  • Huge fan of theirs, and have all of their albums. Really like some of the songs from their new release.

Not enough rock bands with a real purpose or message these days like the Manics.

As for underrated - James Dean Bradfield is exceptionally underrated as both a guitarist and singer.
  • edited June 2018
    Love Motorcycle Emptiness, then saw the Video on youtube and the drummer looked just like cousin Itt from the Addams Family.
  • Too modern for some of us old gits....
  • Agree with OP, excellent band.
  • I went to see them the other night at Southbank and they were very good. They played a lot of old stuff and I found I didn’t know half as much of their music as I’d thought I did
  • Got some okay songs that i enjoy listening to, just can't really say their sound has developed in 20 years in comparison with bands that are even younger like arctic monkeys, who are probably rightly seen as one of the modern great rock bands of all time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw them years ago in Bradford when Richie was still in the band. Fifty five minute set, no real inbetween song raconteuring, no encore, just belted out the tunes. Still one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to.
  • none of them are anywhere near 90
  • I thought you was talking about the Jehovah's Witnesses who stand outside London Bridge, Cannon Street and Liverpool Street station.....
  • I've seen them a few times and have usually been impressed.

The last time I saw them however was during the On Blackheath festival.........and it's safe to say that James was struggling a bit that day.
  • edited June 2018
    They're ok, but a bit bland, a bit meh, a bit Curbishley for me.
  • I’d say I like them rather than being a fan as such. The Holy Bible is one of my favourite albums, though. Not one filler track on it.
  • This is my secret now tell me yours and Everything must go, 2 of my top 20 albums. Everything else is, without exception, shit.
  • buckshee said:

McBobbin said:

Not wrong, consistently good albums, and superb live. Seen them about three times always incredible

“About” three times?
    It was that memorable!
  • The Holy Bible is an amazingly good album but most of their other stuff can be pretty bland. They definitely went for a much safer sound after Richie Edwards/James disappeared. That third album is brutal though, both in its sound and lyrics.
  • Sponsored links:

• The whole mystery behind Richie Edwards I find a lot more interesting than most of their music tbh. Probably makes their music a lot more interesting than it is.
  • Everything must go is a genuinely great album

I've been treated to them live twice. Once they couldn't be arsed, didn't give a shit and I think the technical term is the dialled it in. Saw them again a couple of years ago and they were marginally better. Not what I was expecting to be honest as I know people who reckon they are mind blowing live.

• The Holy Bible is an amazingly good album but most of their other stuff can be pretty bland. They definitely went for a much safer sound after Richie Edwards/James disappeared. That third album is brutal though, both in its sound and lyrics.

I know the Holy Bible as seen as their masterpiece but it’s the one Manics album I just never was able to get into. It’s more of a statement than music.

Albums like ‘Postcards For a Young Man’ and ‘Send Away The Tigers’ from their later years are great listens though.

Saw them at the O2 in 2011which was probably the biggest gig they’d done in quite a few years at that point. They did a 4 hour set performing every single they’ve ever released to celebrate their new ‘best of’ album. They didn’t miss a beat.
  • They're s h 1 t

Occasionally we are on the same page. You're 100% on this.
    They are absolute cack.
  • Brilliant band.
    Saw them at The Royal Albert Hall a couple of years ago. They were truly exceptional.
  • iainment said:

They're s h 1 t

They are absolute cack.
    Care to elaborate? Or is this another thread you thought you would just join in to troll?
  • Great band with a couple of great albums. Seen them live twice and we’re great both times.
  • cafctom said:

iainment said:

They're s h 1 t

They are absolute cack.
    Care to elaborate? Or is this another thread you thought you would just join in to troll?
    cafctom said:

iainment said:

They're s h 1 t

They are absolute cack.
    I've heard most of their albums. The music they make does nothing for me. To me they're cack.
    Is that ok as an elaboration?
  • Not really, as I don’t understand why someone would listen to their albums after thinking they have been ‘cack’ for over twenty years, but everyone’s different I spose.
  • cafctom said:

Not really, as I don’t understand why someone would listen to their albums after thinking they have been ‘cack’ for over twenty years, but everyone’s different I spose.

I know people who like them. I don't. Is that ok with you or is that trolling?
    You are a bit precious aren't you?