Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    Berg lbw b Clarke 6

117-6
  • Options
    Taylor lbw b Clarke 16

151-7, still trailing by 82
  • Options
    Abbott lbw b Virdi 15

170-8
  • Options
    I fancy you lot to win this one.
  • Options
    Steyn c Pope b Morkel 0

175-9
  • Options
    Edwards c Pope b Morkel 0

175 all out - Surrey win by an innings and 58 runs!
  • Options
    And I do believe that win puts us top of the league.
    I only hope we manage to stay there.
    I agree with you canters I had my concerns when we signed Clarke but he has been superb.
    As for Morkel what can you say,I've got a good feeling about this season.
  • Options
    great performances from the younger players too. Maybe only slight weak link is we are maybe a batter light - if only Kohli had been fit !
  • Options
    Somerset's win over Notts this afternoon knocks us off the top of the table, but there's only 1 point in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Definitely looks like things have clicked the last couple of games, helps that Morkel has settled quickly.

I'm heading to Guildford next Friday so i hope the good form continues!!!

In hindsight it might turn out to be a good thing Kohli isn't coming now, as good as it would have been to have him with us everything would have been about him, at least now the lads can concentrate on their own games and not the worry about the "Kohli Show".
  • Options

Definitely looks like things have clicked the last couple of games, helps that Morkel has settled quickly.

In hindsight it might turn out to be a good thing Kohli isn't coming now, as good as it would have been to have him with us everything would have been about him, at least now the lads can concentrate on their own games and not the worry about the "Kohli Show".

I see your point and think it's very valid for this match. But for the next two matches when we are without Roy Foakes Sam and Tom we could really do with his batting and just another senior player. I have a lot of faith in our young players but I'm sure one of the keys to letting them flourish has been the good blend of senior pros around them for the last few years. People like Sanga Burns Batty Clarke Dernbach etc.

Next matxh we are likely to have 6 or 7 players aged 21 or under. Couple that with the fact that we haven't won at Guildford for centuries and I think we will miss Kohli. Besides seeing the best player in the world play at Beckenham, Guildford and Scarborough would be brilliant.
  • Options
    But Surrey fans may get to see Jimmy Anderson instead!

From The Times

James Anderson may play for Surrey in their three-day match against the touring West Indies A side next month in order to get additional match practice before the India Test series which starts in August.

Anderson is sidelined for six weeks with a long-term shoulder problem and the ECB had originally suggested that he would return to cricket for Lancashire’s match against Yorkshire at Old Trafford, which begins on July 22. The Burnley-born bowler made his debut for his home county in 2002.

However, that would only give England’s record Test wicket-taker one match before the five-Test series and it is understood that England management would ideally like him to play an additional match to ensure that he is back to full fitness for five Tests in six weeks, a schedule which Anderson himself described as “ridiculous”.

Because counties are playing the Vitality T20 Blast for most of July, there is no possibility of Anderson being able to play any additional championship cricket on top of his planned appearance in the Roses match.

There is a precedent for England players turning out for another county as preparation for a Test series. Andrew Strauss played for Somerset against a touring India side in 2011 to try to improve his form. It is unusual, however, that England feel that Anderson will need more than one match as a warm-up to the Test series, particularly given their concerns over his workload.

• Options
    I see Surrey have signed up Theunis de Bruyn for the next two county games.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Did see that. Think it's a very good signing as I said before (quoted below) we are very short of batting for the next two matches with Roy and Foakes missing. He's not Kohli but is a very good player with good teat credentials. I'm impressed with our business with regards to overseas players this year (even though Marsh and Kohli haven't made it through injury).

De Bruyn bowling some decent medium quick stuff also helps. With Sam missing the balance of the side could be affected but what we could do is go in with De Bruyn and Patel combining as 4th seamer.

Something like

Burns
    Harinath (yes I would drop Stoneman)
    Borthwick
    De Bruyn
    Patel
    Pope
    Jacks
    Clarke
    Morkel
    Dernbach
    Virdi

Clarke Morkel and Jade have been bowling well. Patel TDB and Harinath all bowl seam up useful stuff. Virdi has been excellent and Jacks/Borthwick also bowl spin.

Feels a bit like a team full of but part players but there is not a huge amount you can do when 4 key players are called up at once plus your overseas leaves.

I suspect they might move Clarke up to 7 and bring in Meaker/Dunn/Mckerr instead of playing Jacks. All that does is extend our already lengthy tail.

Glad that we got an extra batsman in for these 2 games or we wouldn't be able to have this debate. If he does as well as the last batsman who could bowl a bit called De Bruyn we had did in his first couple of seasons than I'll be happy.

I see your point and think it's very valid for this match. But for the next two matches when we are without Roy Foakes Sam and Tom we could really do with his batting and just another senior player. I have a lot of faith in our young players but I'm sure one of the keys to letting them flourish has been the good blend of senior pros around them for the last few years. People like Sanga Burns Batty Clarke Dernbach etc.

Next matxh we are likely to have 6 or 7 players aged 21 or under. Couple that with the fact that we haven't won at Guildford for centuries and I think we will miss Kohli. Besides seeing the best player in the world play at Beckenham, Guildford and Scarborough would be brilliant.
  • Options

Playing at Guildford with a severely depleted team against the team just above us at the top of the league should only mean one outcome and that's not a good one. Will the Guildford curse at last be lifted?
  • Options
    Cant see Stoneman being dropped just yet, but has to get out of the form he is in.
    As Canters says, the key to De Bruyn is that he can be the 5th bowler too, as well as his batting skills - must admit, was a bit underwhelmed to begin with, but can now see the reasoning behind his acquisition.
  • Options

Playing at Guildford with a severely depleted team against the team just above us at the top of the league should only mean one outcome and that's not a good one. Will the Guildford curse at last be lifted?

Yes. Last season we went into the Guildford game against Essex 1 point behind them in the table. We know how that ended. I'm quietly confident this year out senior players (Burns, Clarke, Foakes Dernbach etc) have really stood up, Morkel has been a great signing and our young players are thriving. Even with some key players missing we should have enough.
  • Options

Cant see Stoneman being dropped just yet, but has to get out of the form he is in.
    As Canters says, the key to De Bruyn is that he can be the 5th bowler too, as well as his batting skills - must admit, was a bit underwhelmed to begin with, but can now see the reasoning behind his acquisition.

Agree. I think they will stick with him. But personally I think he needs time out the spotlight.
  • Options
    We're batting first at Guildford in the County Championship against Somerset.

Stoneman misses out for family reasons - Harinath, Jacks and de Bruyn come in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

De Bruyn bowling some decent medium quick stuff also helps. With Sam missing the balance of the side could be affected but what we could do is go in with De Bruyn and Patel combining as 4th seamer.

Something like

Burns
    Borthwick
    De Bruyn
    Patel
    Pope
    Jacks
    Clarke
    Morkel
    Dernbach
    Virdi

Canters, are you on the Surrey selection panel?
  • Options
    Harinath lbw b Abell 48

83-1
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    alangee said:

Something like

Burns
    Borthwick
    De Bruyn
    Patel
    Pope
    Jacks
    Clarke
    Morkel
    Dernbach
    Virdi

Canters, are you on the Surrey selection panel?

Bloody well should be. Given the number of changes I'm pretty impressed with myself tbat I got it right.
  • Options
    Gutted for Harinath. Out 2 before his half century. He's a good player - not a pretty player but is a fighter and gets runs. He's had to wait a long time for his chance and he's done well. Deserved his 50. Never really been given a run in the side and always the first player to be dropped when others are available. Sticks with us and can always be relied upon when needed.
  • Options
    98-1 at lunch
  • Options
    50 for Burns

124-1
  • Options
    Burns lbw b Gregory 66

158-2
  • Options
    50 for Borthwick

176-2
  • Options
    TDB goes quickly. Need a Pope special here.
  • Options
    300-5 now