Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options

Sweden are so woeful in front goal. Both teams lack quality. Worst game I've watched so far.

Nah Nigeria v Croatia has that honour

Terrible game, least there is attacking intent in this one, that one felt as though it was at walking pace
    I only saw the first 15-20 minutes of that game, but thought it looked alright.

In terms of quality I'd say Morocco vs. Iran was probably the worst, though this game will give them a run for their money I suspect. I didn't watch Serbia-Costa Rica, so can't comment on that.

It should really be stressed Sweden are not a good footballing team. They're a good defensive side. They're physical, but they're pretty awful going forward. And Korea seem to be caught in between generations. I think this might actually be the most difficult game for Sweden in a certain way because they will feel they need to go and win it, to keep the ball and attack. That does not suit them. Coming up against Mexico and Germany they'll be able to sit deep and defend with their backs against the wall as they did against Italy, something they're much more comfortable with. I actually think they could knick a result against one of those, possibly Mexico.

All-in-all, at the risk of jinxing it, am I the only one who thinks this has been a World Cup of pretty good quality thus far? The Russia game wasn't amazing but there were some moments of real quality. Peru-Denmark also not of the highest quality but it had an openness and a mental-ness to it that I really appreciated. And I think the rest pretty much speak for themselves.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Think you're massively underestimating Tunisia. Yes we should win but 3 or 4-1 is unlikely in any World Cup match, let alone England against a team that Spain took 84 minutes to break down the other week.

I just hope people don't start turning on the team after 45 minutes and it's still 0-0.

Look who you're talking to.
    if you have a comment to make about me just say it instead of commenting on a post, i dont think ive ever been abusive to you despite you calling me a fucking idiot at one point.

if in doubt;

January 31
    (Quote) You're a fucking idiot. I welcome the flags for this post. (View Post)

the usual culprits liked it, just gets on my nerves if you have something to say don't make digs have the minerals to say it, its pathetic.
    You appear to be a very angry person towards many things, calm yourself down.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Think you're massively underestimating Tunisia. Yes we should win but 3 or 4-1 is unlikely in any World Cup match, let alone England against a team that Spain took 84 minutes to break down the other week.

I just hope people don't start turning on the team after 45 minutes and it's still 0-0.

Look who you're talking to.
    if you have a comment to make about me just say it instead of commenting on a post, i dont think ive ever been abusive to you despite you calling me a fucking idiot at one point.

if in doubt;

January 31
    (Quote) You're a fucking idiot. I welcome the flags for this post. (View Post)

the usual culprits liked it, just gets on my nerves if you have something to say don't make digs have the minerals to say it, its pathetic.
    You appear to be a very angry person towards many things, calm yourself down.
    For thinking that England will win 3/4-1 isn’t angry and I haven’t sworn at anyone.
  • Options

Zlatan still far and away Sweden's best striker.

Toivonen is absolute shite. 0 goals for Sunderland then 7 goals in 2 seasons in the French league.

How can you be the starting striker for a country in a world cup with 7 goals in 3 seasons?!

And yes i fully expect he'll score in the second half now!

Two words: Emile Heskey.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    This referee is shocking!!

Blatant penalty
  • Options
    How has the ref not given that.

You dont need VAR to know its a pen
  • Options
    Good decision overall tho . Don't mind that
  • Options
    Why is Berg not taking it
  • Options
    Again, VAR proving its worth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ooo lovely calm penalty from a Defender

Saw that rising higher than Bailey's penalty before it was taken
  • Options
    Bizarre that it wasn't spotted by the ref in real time

It would have been awkward if the referee after reviewing the TV footage HADN'T given it, as South Korea were on a good attack when play was stopped.
  • Options
    Think some are being a bit harsh on the ref, it was a slight touch from the Swedish player and took it the way the Korean player would have had he touched it. VAR is definitely winning me over.
  • Options

Says a lot about how poor their strikers are when the CB takes it.
  • Options
    Sweden may be winning, but how the hell did they beat Italy?!
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

Remember seeing Sweden doing well in the Euro U21s a few years ago; Marcus Berg was lethal in the competition and was backed up by Toivenen with both players coming out of that Tournament with good chances of progressing.

Sadly for whatever reasons (an issue for many players) they've not progressed as much as they should have
  • Options
    There’s a Belgian bar here in Calpe offering a free beer every time Belgium score today. Guess where I’ll be a 5 o’clock?
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

Remember seeing Sweden doing well in the Euro U21s a few years ago; Marcus Berg was lethal in the competition and was backed up by Toivenen with both players coming out of that Tournament with good chances of progressing.

Sadly for whatever reasons (an issue for many players) they've not progressed as much as they should have
    Yeah same with John Guidetti who was the great young hope of Swedish football for a while. He was at Manchester City as a youngster and was highly rated until he got a weird illness that kept him out for a couple years. I remember him having a good tournament in those Euro U21s, but he's not really kicked on for Celta Vigo or Sweden.
  • Options

There’s a Belgian bar here in Calpe offering a free beer every time Belgium score today. Guess where I’ll be a 5 o’clock?

I can guess you’ll be pissed by 6:45.
  • Options
    I don't think Germany have too much to worry about based on this game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I can guess you’ll be pissed by 4:45.
  • Options
    Germany are in a lot of trouble if they fail to beat Sweden in their next match.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Germany are in a lot of trouble if they fail to beat Sweden in their next match.

After that performance Sweden dont stand a chance IMO
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Sweden may be winning, but how the hell did they beat Italy?!

if you saw that match you would understand. Sweden were pretty awful but Italy were fucking useless. not helped by bizarre team selections and a style of football that I thought was exclusively Englands. The 'having no idea how to break a defence down' style. i thought Hodgeson had somehow become the Italian manager.
  • Options
    That's what everyone said about Mexico! Based off what I saw from Germany going forward, they could struggle to break down the Swedish defence.
  • Options
    The Linesman/Assistant had a perfect view of the penalty incident, no idea how he missed it as well
  • Options
    he didn't miss it in my opinion he bottled it because he knew VAR was there as his safety net. Of course if Korea go up the other end and score then you have a riot on your hands. (well probably not but can't say that for every countries fans)
  • Options
    Belgium (3-4-2-1): Courtois, Alderweireld, Boyata, Vertonghen, Meunier, Witsel, De Bruyne, Carrasco, Mertens, E. Hazard, R. Lukaku.
  • Options

he didn't miss it in my opinion he bottled it because he knew VAR was there as his safety net. Of course if Korea go up the other end and score then you have a riot on your hands. (well probably not but can't say that for every countries fans)

You don't have a riot as it's a stonewall penalty
  • Options
    Fuck me that Belgium line-up! Martinez presumably just telling them to let 'er rip