Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Son Heung-min

Just listening to ITV.

Unless South Korea win the World Cup or Asian games he will have to do Military Service for 2 years.

The rules are every South Korean does 2 years before they are 28 unless they win a World Cup, Asian Games or Olympic Gold.

So if South Korea dont win the Asian Games in September I guess Spurs will be forced to sell him.

Seems strange to me

Comments

• What would you do @JohnBoyUK
  • What would you do @JohnBoyUK

Confiscate his passport
  • Won't happen, they'll find a way round it

South Korea won't want to lose their only real poster boy
  • I thought this was quiet a well known issue.

I believe the South Korea team in 2002 (that got to the semi finals) were let off when they got out of the group stages
  • Do South Korea have a "military base" in the UK?
  • He did 4 weeks because he won an Olympic medal which exempts South Koreans from doing the full service term.
  • He did 4 weeks because he won an Olympic medal which exempts South Koreans from doing the full service term.
    Yes I know. Should have added that bit in my post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just listening to ITV.

Unless South Korea win the World Cup or Asian games he will have to do Military Service for 2 years.

The rules are every South Korean does 2 years before they are 28 unless they win a World Cup, Asian Games or Olympic Gold.

So if South Korea dont win the Asian Games in September I guess Spurs will be forced to sell him.

Seems strange to me

I'm sure there will be a number of teams queueing up to buy a player who can't play for 2 years!
    Roland's final gift to us, the £40m signing of Son...
    18 month contract!
  • We would sign him 100% if he couldn’t play for two years

Two bob tiny and the ego Murray would tell two shit chalets he is a bargain
    Son had the chance to play in that team I think but withdrew from the squad - bet he's regretting that now!
  • I hope Son Heung-min gets out of his stint in the military, I've got South Korea in the works sweepstake.
  • se9addick said:

He did 4 weeks because he won an Olympic medal which exempts South Koreans from doing the full service term.
    Son had the chance to play in that team I think but withdrew from the squad - bet he's regretting that now!
    I don't think it was that team, but a previous version of the Asian Games, but only because that's what the Observer and Irish Times told me..

He was not allowed go by his club in Germany (Dusseldorf?), because it's not a FIFA tournament.

I think the rule is that any South Korean sportsman who wins a reasonably significant event, or does remarkably well (as in WC 2002) would be exempted from all but (the most) basic training.

There are ways out, under residency abroad, but South Korean society is not notoriously forgiving of what is seen as a slight for everyone else.
  • edited July 2018
    He will miss the 1st month of the season

As South Korea failed to reach the World Cup Semi Final Son has now decided to take part in the Asian Games,

if South Korea win he is fine if they fail to win he will have to do Military Service.

@JohnBoyUK
    How do you feel about losing him for the first few matches and then potentially 2 years if South Korea fail to win
  • Looking at the last Asian games, South korea won it without even conceding a goal. Australia don't play in it and Japan and Iran both played U21 squads.

I think there's probably a few others thinking the same as Son as they had a pretty strong squad with a few senior players. Might as well take the 'easy' option and win this tournament to get out of the national service.

If they don't win it, then Son might try to play in this as well as a last chance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_AFC_Asian_Cup
  • Sponsored links:

• Big game later today
    South Korea got through the group stage
    Beat Bahrain 6-0
    Lost to Malaysia 2-1
    Beat Kyrgyzstan 1-0 Son with the goal

So next up is a last 16 match v Iran
    Winners face either Hong Kong or Uzbekistan in the Quarters
  • se9addick said:

He will miss the 1st month of the season

As South Korea failed to reach the World Cup Semi Final Son has now decided to take part in the Asian Games,

if South Korea win he is fine if they fail to win he will have to do Military Service.

@JohnBoyUK
    How do you feel about losing him for the first few matches and then potentially 2 years if South Korea fail to win

Imagine if the final goes to a penalty shootout and you miss the crucial kick condemning you and some of your teammates to two years of national service!
    If one of those teammates played for Charlton they'd thank you.
  • South Korea are 2-0 up and heading to face Uzbbekistan in be quarters
  • edited August 2018

South Korea are 2-0 up and heading to face Uzbbekistan in be quarters

And will face one of Syria | Vietnam | Bahrain in the Semi-Finals if they can get through

They did well to come second in their Group else they'd have face Japan in the 2nd Round instead of Malaysia
  • Bizarre that a game of football could decide whether you have to do national service or not!
  • Big game later today
    Beat Bahrain 6-0
    Lost to Malaysia 2-1

Pauline, out of curiosity mate - where do you follow all of this from?

I wouldn’t even know such a tournament was going on and I like to think I keep myself well aware of what’s going on in the global game.
  • cafctom said:

Big game later today
    Beat Bahrain 6-0
    Lost to Malaysia 2-1

Pauline, out of curiosity mate - where do you follow all of this from?

I wouldn’t even know such a tournament was going on and I like to think I keep myself well aware of what’s going on in the global game.
    Flash scores lol
    Have the app on my phone and always look to see who is playing
  • Laddick01 said:

Won't happen, they'll find a way round it

South Korea won't want to lose their only real poster boy

Worked fine for Elvis Presley...
  • They beat Iran 2-0 today.

Next they play Uzbekistan in the quarters on Sunday.