Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• The one real bright spot of the US coverage (which has largely been awful) is having Guus Hiddink in the studio. He speaks very intelligently about football, and also, he's managed bloody everybody, so it's a lovely little trip around the world with him.
  • SDAddick said:

The one real bright spot of the US coverage (which has largely been awful) is having Guus Hiddink in the studio. He speaks very intelligently about football, and also, he's managed bloody everybody, so it's a lovely little trip around the world with him.

He has getting close to managing more teams and national teams than Steve Claridge played for(and thats saying something
  • edited June 2018
    SDAddick said:

if we cant beat tunisia then may aswell give up now, im expecting a big win tonight and to comfotably beat panama i would even consider resting some players against belgium as hopefully the belgians dont fuck us over for once and win both there games then we will both be qualified going into the last game.

This is the kind of attitude that dooms England at major tournaments. England expects. Expects what? And why? We've seen time and again that hard working, compact teams can frustrate the more fancied sides. And we have seen England fall victim to it in just about every tournament in recent memory. It's all well and good playing the Brazils and Hollands of the world in friendlies, but that's not who England struggle against. They struggle against Slovakia and Russia and Slovenia, teams that are tough to break down, exactly like Tunisia.

England look a decent side with a good young manager who are the third youngest at the tournament. But how many times have we seen England teams turn up and forget how to control a ball at a major tournament? You would think after Iceland, and just as much after some of the performances in the group at the Euros, this "we'll steamroll all the small teams" would stop.
    thanks for telling me how i should support my nation but trust me dooming England is the last thing i want to do i've watched them live 27 times, nothing wrong with positivity and tbh i dont fancy tunisia and i fully expect us to win 3/4-1.

im entitled to an opinion and this comment is akin to some muppet on here 2016 euros asking fans attending " dont spoil it for us watching at home ".

were expected to achieve nothing so have nothing to lose in my opinion.

1/4 finals and go home and that is progress i think and its achievable.

tunisia got to the wc topping a group of libya, dr congo and guinea and drew 2 of those matches, so fair play for getting there but do think we are better and should win.
  • Think you're massively underestimating Tunisia. Yes we should win but 3 or 4-1 is unlikely in any World Cup match, let alone England against a team that Spain took 84 minutes to break down the other week.

I just hope people don't start turning on the team after 45 minutes and it's still 0-0.
  • Think you're massively underestimating Tunisia. Yes we should win but 3 or 4-1 is unlikely in any World Cup match, let alone England against a team that Spain took 84 minutes to break down the other week.

I just hope people don't start turning on the team after 45 minutes and it's still 0-0.

freindlies dont mean a lot though imo, a win is a win we should be beating them.
  • SDAddick said:

The one real bright spot of the US coverage (which has largely been awful) is having Guus Hiddink in the studio. He speaks very intelligently about football, and also, he's managed bloody everybody, so it's a lovely little trip around the world with him.

He has getting close to managing more teams and national teams than Steve Claridge played for(and thats saying something
    Just checked Hiddink has had 15 spells as manager(some he obviously managed more than once, thats why I have said spells) Claridge has had 30 as a player

freindlies dont mean a lot though imo, a win is a win we should be beating them.
    You might have a point but they cannot be completely discounted either. Besides, that's what people told me when I said I didn't fancy the Germans after Austria and Saudi Arabia.
  • I think there is definately stuff you can learn about a team from a friendly, but the friendly a week before the world cup starts? No way - players trying to avoid injury, managers will be trying different line ups and formations. Plus no friendly will ever equal the adrenaline and pressure involved in a world cup game.

• Sponsored links:

Look who you're talking to.
  • Shouldnt we have a new thread for tonight's game?
  • holy shit that save!!!
  • How the f**k have Sweden not scored there. Great save.
  • In all honesty that was terrible finishing. Swedish striking options are woeful.
  • I think we've found the Bad Ref. There's always one
  • On cue, fails to book Granqvist for the most stonewall yellow-card offence you'll see
  • It will send a great message if we win comfortably because Tunisia are a decent side. I'd say on a par with a team like Switzerland. If we win 1-0 in a scrappy affair that will be great too. Panama will be much easier - so a win tonight and we are likely to be through much easier than is normally the case!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018

SDAddick said:

if we cant beat tunisia then may aswell give up now, im expecting a big win tonight and to comfotably beat panama i would even consider resting some players against belgium as hopefully the belgians dont fuck us over for once and win both there games then we will both be qualified going into the last game.

This is the kind of attitude that dooms England at major tournaments. England expects. Expects what? And why? We've seen time and again that hard working, compact teams can frustrate the more fancied sides. And we have seen England fall victim to it in just about every tournament in recent memory. It's all well and good playing the Brazils and Hollands of the world in friendlies, but that's not who England struggle against. They struggle against Slovakia and Russia and Slovenia, teams that are tough to break down, exactly like Tunisia.

England look a decent side with a good young manager who are the third youngest at the tournament. But how many times have we seen England teams turn up and forget how to control a ball at a major tournament? You would think after Iceland, and just as much after some of the performances in the group at the Euros, this "we'll steamroll all the small teams" would stop.
    thanks for telling me how i should support my nation but trust me dooming England is the last thing i want to do i've watched them live 27 times, nothing wrong with positivity and tbh i dont fancy tunisia and i fully expect us to win 3/4-1.

im entitled to an opinion and this comment is akin to some muppet on here 2016 euros asking fans attending " dont spoil it for us watching at home ".

were expected to achieve nothing so have nothing to lose in my opinion.

1/4 finals and go home and that is progress i think and its achievable.

tunisia got to the wc topping a group of libya, dr congo and guinea and drew 2 of those matches, so fair play for getting there but do think we are better and should win.
    At no point did I say you couldn't have an opinion.

I just think the idea of expecting England to turn up and beat smaller countries just because they're smaller countries is not really based on recent tournament performances. I don't see anything in the last 25 years that indicates England should be anything other than a knockout stages team at a major tournament. I'd even go one further and say when was the last time England had a good attacking performance at a tournament? It then becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy that when people put high expectations on England and then get mad when they don't meet them. I don't know if you fall in to that category, it just seems to be a common trope.

I think your second post shows more subtlety and I agree, quarter-finals would be good, a good step forward for a young team.
  • sad but it will be much more of a surprise if we play well and win easily than if we play poorly and draw/loose
  • edited June 2018
    colthe3rd said:

Think you're massively underestimating Tunisia. Yes we should win but 3 or 4-1 is unlikely in any World Cup match, let alone England against a team that Spain took 84 minutes to break down the other week.

Look who you're talking to.
    if you have a comment to make about me just say it instead of commenting on a post, i dont think ive ever been abusive to you despite you calling me a fucking idiot at one point.

if in doubt;

January 31
    (Quote) You're a fucking idiot. I welcome the flags for this post. (View Post)

the usual culprits liked it, just gets on my nerves if you have something to say don't make digs have the minerals to say it, its pathetic.
  • Mirror:

Reports in Croatia claim AC Milan striker Nikola Kalinic has been kicked out of the squad in disgrace. It is suggested he refused to come on as a substitute in his team's first match of the tournament against Nigeria, blaming a back injury.
  • Lovely challenge from the Korean

Definitely no penalty its always going to be impossible for there to be zero contact on a player once the ball has been won
  • Sweden are so woeful in front goal. Both teams lack quality. Worst game I've watched so far.
  • Lovely challenge from the Korean

Definitely no penalty its always going to be impossible for there to be zero contact on a player once the ball has been won

100% penalty (I aint saying that cos I am desperate for Berg to score honest :wink: )
  • Sweden are so woeful in front goal. Both teams lack quality. Worst game I've watched so far.

Nah Nigeria v Croatia has that honour

Terrible game, least there is attacking intent in this one, that one felt as though it was at walking pace

Nah Nigeria v Croatia has that honour

Terrible game, least there is attacking intent in this one, that one felt as though it was at walking pace
    Glad I didn't watch that one :smiley:
  • Zlatan still far and away Sweden's best striker.

Toivonen is absolute shite. 0 goals for Sunderland then 7 goals in 2 seasons in the French league.

How can you be the starting striker for a country in a world cup with 7 goals in 3 seasons?!

And yes i fully expect he'll score in the second half now!