Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Too early to judge just yet - There could still be signings

edited June 2018 in General Charlton
We are still in mid-June. It still too early to make any judgement on what will happen in the coming weeks and what will happen in the upcoming season. Just because we are short at short at present doesn’t meant it will be the case come August 4th. Even if RD is still here. I think Bows could have a trick or two up his sleeve. And yes, we may lose 1 or 2 more. The bare fact is nobody knows how close or faraway the takeover is. It will just happen. Hopefully sooner rather than later. At this moment in time I am certainly not too overly concerned. If it was August 1st, then yes, I would be real concerned. Even though some business has been done loads of players, managers and agents are on holiday and we have a World Cup on. I think at the moment everyone on here is going through the motion of having no football and I am talking Charlton football. Basically it’s been seemingly ages since the 2nd leg since the Shrewsbury semi and it’s still seemingly ages till the first pre-season friendly. Ok the will the takeover happen or not happen situation and the RD still being here doesn’t help. Some people are counting their chickens before they have hatched. But let’s just see where we are on August 4th.

Comments

• I agree. Next! :wink:
  • "See where we are on August 4th" is a recipe for disaster.
  • Pre season starts in July so we'd better get a move on.
  • edited June 2018
    If there is no takeover and budget cuts, last year's threadbare squad will be smaller. 19 players, some injured, with BFG and Igor rumoured on their way. Who from U21s can step up? Oz keeper and Beeney seem decent cover. Blumberg I like, as Lapslie although latter failed to impress in a few starts. Mascoll possibly. Maloney and Doughty I've not seen but rated. Umerah I like. Two 16yo attackers rated, forget their names. No cover at RB. No goalscorer although I think courts in Ibiza could define our status L1 or L2.
  • If there is no takeover and budget cuts, last year's threadbare squad will be smaller. 19 players, some injured, with BFG and Igor rumoured on their way. Who from U21s can step up? Oz keeper and Beeney seem decent cover. Blumberg I like, as Lapslie although latter failed to impress in a few starts. Mascoll possibly. Maloney and Doughty I've not seen but rated. Umerah I like. Two 16yo attackers rated, forget their names. No cover at RB. No goalscorer although I think courts in Ibiza could define our status L1 or L2.

really? I don't think either of the players involved in that situation are exactly key for us, let's not get hysterical.
  • All this... "Oh we are like Blackpool" or "Oh we are like Orient". It ain't neccessary gonna happen like that.
  • Surely the fact we asked to put the Welling friendly back 1 week suggests we should be concerned, as that says nothing other than 'we're not ready'
  • Surely the fact we asked to put the Welling friendly back 1 week suggests we should be concerned, as that says nothing other than 'we're not ready'

Maybe we are still trying to arrange a tour.

Bowyer's request
  • Sponsored links:

Who's paying for that then?
  • edited June 2018
    shirty5 said:

Surely the fact we asked to put the Welling friendly back 1 week suggests we should be concerned, as that says nothing other than 'we're not ready'

Who's paying for the team bus to East Grinstead where we face Crawley and to Tooting where we face Dilwich?
  • shirty5 said:

Surely the fact we asked to put the Welling friendly back 1 week suggests we should be concerned, as that says nothing other than 'we're not ready'

Who's paying for the team bus to East Grinstead where we face Crawley and to Tooting where we face Dilwich?

East Grinstead and tooting is cheaper than this supposed tour your fantasizing about.
  • shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

East Grinstead and tooting is cheaper than this supposed tour your fantasizing about.
    I was talking pre Welling. But maybe we won't get one.
  • shirty5 said:

Wtf is Dilwich?
  • We are still in mid-June. It still too early to make any judgement on what will happen in the coming weeks and what will happen in the upcoming season. Just because we are short at short at present doesn’t meant it will be the case come August 4th. Even if RD is still here. I think Bows could have a trick or two up his sleeve. And yes, we may lose 1 or 2 more. The bare fact is nobody knows how close or faraway the takeover is. It will just happen. Hopefully sooner rather than later. At this moment in time I am certainly not too overly concerned. If it was August 1st, then yes, I would be real concerned. Even though some business has been done loads of players, managers and agents are on holiday and we have a World Cup on. I think at the moment everyone on here is going through the motion of having no football and I am talking Charlton football. Basically it’s been seemingly ages since the 2nd leg since the Shrewsbury semi and it’s still seemingly ages till the first pre-season friendly. Ok the will the takeover happen or not happen situation and the RD still being here doesn’t help. Some people are counting their chickens before they have hatched. But let’s just see where we are on August 4th.

You have cracked it, the World Cup is on and that is stalling the buying and selling of players.

I suppose we are waiting for Neymar to come back from Moscow before we start talks.
  • We will end up making a load of late panic buys again.
    Why not sign Amos and give Bauer a new deal instead of Lennon ?

IMO, we have so many players in their last year (so in August they will be thinking about a Jan move or walking away in May) that I think the new owner is using 2018/9 as a clear out year, with no plans to challenge for anything.

IMO, we have so many players in their last year (so in August they will be thinking about a Jan move or walking away in May) that I think the new owner is using 2018/9 as a clear out year, with no plans to challenge for anything.

Amos is going to Millwall I think

Amos is going to Millwall I think
    :'(
  • Sponsored links:

• We are still in mid-June. It still too early to make any judgement on what will happen in the coming weeks and what will happen in the upcoming season. Just because we are short at short at present doesn’t meant it will be the case come August 4th. Even if RD is still here. I think Bows could have a trick or two up his sleeve. And yes, we may lose 1 or 2 more. The bare fact is nobody knows how close or faraway the takeover is. It will just happen. Hopefully sooner rather than later. At this moment in time I am certainly not too overly concerned. If it was August 1st, then yes, I would be real concerned. Even though some business has been done loads of players, managers and agents are on holiday and we have a World Cup on. I think at the moment everyone on here is going through the motion of having no football and I am talking Charlton football. Basically it’s been seemingly ages since the 2nd leg since the Shrewsbury semi and it’s still seemingly ages till the first pre-season friendly. Ok the will the takeover happen or not happen situation and the RD still being here doesn’t help. Some people are counting their chickens before they have hatched. But let’s just see where we are on August 4th.

• edited June 2018

We will end up making a load of late panic buys again.

Obviously if that happens, yeah we will be destined for another 'mid-table season in League 1 but tbh no that ain't good enough for a club like us.
  • Might n

We will end up making a load of late panic buys again.

Obviously if that happens, yeah we will be destined for another 'mid-table season in League 1 but tbh no that ain't good enough for a club like us.
    Might not be good enough - but unless things start to happen it's where we're heading - maybe even lower?

Is this the rosiest of rose tinted views or the full-ostrich?
    Even if regime change happens today, Charlton is already 7 weeks behind in preparations for 18/19 and that period was barely 12 weeks long to begin with.
    There is no upside to the situation and no real hint that is actually likely to change anytime soon.
    Division 4 football August 2019 is currently the best of all possible outcomes.

Even if regime change happens today, Charlton is already 7 weeks behind in preparations for 18/19 and that period was barely 12 weeks long to begin with.
    There is no upside to the situation and no real hint that is actually likely to change anytime soon.
    If that is the case we would be the biggest ever club to be at that level.

Lets just see what Bows tries to bring in. I reckon he and Jacko might have some sort of idea.

Lets just see what Bows tries to bring in. I reckon he and Jacko might have some sort of idea.
    There will of course be plenty of free agents out there some of whom will no doubt do a very good job. Expecting freebies to make up for who we have and will lose is unrealistic. Not really either what we want or good enough for a club like Charlton Athletic. Dire times and 100% down to that mad deluded fucker Duchatelet.

This season's outcome will have absolutely nothing to di with Bowyer and Jacko's recruitment ideas. They will only be allowed to bring in those that fit the Duchatelet bill and you know it.
  • Jacko and Bowyer may well have drawn up a list, they may be checking it twice, but regardless of whether that have been naughty or nice, Uncle Roly will give them fuck all, you know it, I know it and they know it, end of.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Jacko and Bowyer may well have drawn up a list, they may be checking it twice, but regardless of whether that have been naughty or nice, Uncle Roly will give them fuck all, you know it, I know it and they know it, end of.

Apart from loans who will have to go back in May