Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Derbyshire have signed "Cloudy" for the T20 Blast.

Thanks Riv but this is old news as it was mentioned on the Kent thread at 10.32 this morning.

Why was it mentioned on the Kent thread?
    Because I didn't want to mention it on two threads and he has played Kent 2s this season. He has also said in an interview that he is open to having talks with Derbyshire, Kent or anyone else which is probably an invitation to us especially as he lives with his fiancee in the Medway.
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Derbyshire have signed "Cloudy" for the T20 Blast.

Thanks Riv but this is old news as it was mentioned on the Kent thread at 10.32 this morning.

Why was it mentioned on the Kent thread?
    Because I didn't want to mention it on two threads and he has played Kent 2s this season. He has also said in an interview that he is open to having talks with Derbyshire, Kent or anyone else which is probably an invitation to us especially as he lives with his fiancee in the Medway.
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    That's more eloquent than normal.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Can anyone enlighten me as to what's going on with Ex Blues CC?! They're in freefall it seems - lost every game except for an abandonment this year, and have been dismissed for 109, 57, 31(!), and 97 in their four completions.

Take a look at Dartforians 2s and OEs 2s and you will see that they have had to concede most of their games. Not a good sign especially for OEs who should, in theory anyway, have a natural pathway to adult cricket.
    OES are more into hockey these days and doing very well at that
  • Seb was invited to trial for the annual fundraiser for Leigh Academy against the PCA (used to be against Lashings) on the 29th June at Bexley. Whilst he doesn't go there, the side to play the PCA comes under the Academy banner and is made up of local school and club cricketers.

The good news for Seb is that he has made the team (and is the youngest to do so this year) and whilst he probably won't keep, as that will probably be an 18 year old who has done it for the last couple of years, he is due to bat at 5 against a PCA side with the following confirmed so far:

Mark Ramprakash
    Owais Shah
    Adam Hollioake
    Alex Tudor
    Min Patel
    Dominic Cork
    Mal Loye
    Ali Brown
    Matthew Hoggard

It will be a fantastic experience for him to play against that lot especially with a number of them being former England internationals - and I wouldn't mind betting that the likes of Cork, Tudor and Hoggard are still pretty useful with the ball.

Final two confirmed as Mustard and Mascheranas - so they also now have a big hitting keeper (can you imagine Mustard and Ali Brown opening?) plus one of the best one day bowlers ever in Mascheranas to add to that seam attack of Cork, Tudor, Hoggard and Hollioake.

Should be fun!
  • I hope the schoolboys have got some batting !!
  • edited June 2018
    Surely these games must be somewhat managed?! That PCA team looks STACKED.
  • PaddyP17 said:

It is managed - the PCA bat first and smash 200 plus off 24 overs and then the Leigh team muster what they can!

Although two years ago Leigh inflicted on Lashings (as it was then) a defeat courtesy of a brilliant 100 from Sam Heazlett now of Queensland, the Heat and Australia. Tino "mind the windows" Best got so wound up at one point that he bowled Heazlett a bouncer that hit the sight screen on the full.
  • PaddyP17 said:

It is managed - the PCA bat first and smash 200 plus off 24 overs and then the Leigh team muster what they can!

Although two years ago Leigh inflicted on Lashings (as it was then) a defeat courtesy of a brilliant 100 from Sam Heazlett now of Queensland, the Heat and Australia. Tino "mind the windows" Best got so wound up at one point that he bowled Heazlett a bouncer that hit the sight screen on the full.
    Well then it would be a beamer and not a bouncer.
  • Riviera said:

PaddyP17 said:

Well then it would be a beamer and not a bouncer.
    I think you know what I mean but I will explain nevertheless - the ball pitched and didn't bounce again 'til it hit the sight screen.
  • Am I right in thinking that you can't have a boundary six in extras and that it's always four?
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

Am I right in thinking that you can't have a boundary six in extras and that it's always four?

One cannot score a boundary six in byes – nor in leg byes, wides or no-balls; a boundary six can only be scored if the ball has made contact with the bat or the hands or gloves holding it.
  • Leuth said:

Am I right in thinking that you can't have a boundary six in extras and that it's always four?

I must confess that I do not know the answer to that but, equally, I have never seen and doubt that I ever will, a ball bowled so high that it gets anywhere remotely near landing over the line on the full.
  • Leuth said:

I must confess that I do not know the answer to that but, equally, I have never seen and doubt that I ever will, a ball bowled so high that it gets anywhere remotely near landing over the line on the full.
    Have you ever seen Steve Backley bowl ?
  • edited June 2018

Leuth said:

Really? I thought you'd played cricket with Riviera.
  • Leuth said:

Really? I thought you'd played cricket with Riviera.
    Give over. I never saw his arm get up shoulder height when he bowled. Admittedly he was probably about 20 by then so his better days were behind him by then.
  • Seb was invited to trial for the annual fundraiser for Leigh Academy against the PCA (used to be against Lashings) on the 29th June at Bexley. Whilst he doesn't go there, the side to play the PCA comes under the Academy banner and is made up of local school and club cricketers.

The good news for Seb is that he has made the team (and is the youngest to do so this year) and whilst he probably won't keep, as that will probably be an 18 year old who has done it for the last couple of years, he is due to bat at 5 against a PCA side with the following confirmed so far:

Mark Ramprakash
    Owais Shah
    Adam Hollioake
    Alex Tudor
    Min Patel
    Dominic Cork
    Mal Loye
    Ali Brown
    Matthew Hoggard

It will be a fantastic experience for him to play against that lot especially with a number of them being former England internationals - and I wouldn't mind betting that the likes of Cork, Tudor and Hoggard are still pretty useful with the ball.

I watched that game last year and although it was pretty one sided The PCA side had Denly , Nixon etc in the ranks as well as the names listed above, i am sure it was a great learning experience. I am sure seb will have a great time. The Leigh bowled and fielded well but struggled with the bat. Whats the strength of the leigh team this year, if i can get the time off work i may pop down again. Last year one lad took a wonder catch in the outfield to dismiss Denly. I seem to remember the boys keeper from last year took a big snick from Mal Loye standing up to the opening bowler and batted well , i think he also won the man of the match ? Is this the same keeper ?
    The keeper to which you refer is an 18 year old who left Bexley a few weeks ago to join Beckenham and is playing in their 3s with @Addickted2TheReds. He's a good keeper but things didn't work out for him at the end of last season and the beginning of this in so far as he got injured and Seb took his place in the U19s, 2s and Dyno teams. Seb retained his place in the 2s this season so he opted to make the move rather than fight for his place - although, it has to be said, that Seb is "happy" to bat at 8 for those sides (he is still only 15) and open for the Development X1 on a Sunday whereas I think the other lad would have wanted a batting spot too. He will be keeping in the PCA game and hopefully Seb will get that opportunity to do so in years to come.

I have to say that the Leigh side, from a batting perspective, is not strong on paper as it has been although one or two of them are very capable of a big score. In previous years, however, they've had the likes of Jimmy Peirson, Sam Heazlett (both Queensland now) and Ollie Robinson playing who have all gone on to earn pro contracts.
    I need to publicly apologise for my bolded latter comment as it has been pointed out to me that this is not the reason why the lad in question left. I stand by my former comment in so far as he is a good keeper and was unlucky with injuries.

• Anyone fancy a game tomorrow?

I mean, my lot should theoretically still do alright with ten, but still - it'd be nice to have a full team is all!
  • I'm back, so it's like having two players return (weight-wise)
  • I'm not back any more. The 3s have looked at my performance last week (0 runs, 0 wickets) and said "we'll have some more of that". I guess the 4s needed Gethin's car?
  • Leuth said:

I'm not back any more. The 3s have looked at my performance last week (0 runs, 0 wickets) and said "we'll have some more of that". I guess the 4s needed Gethin's car?

We had 11 Friday 9.30pm and 9 this morning. Such is the way of a 4th XI.

Hammered by seven wickets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Weirdly, that's what we were hammered by too. Albeit I reckon you lot scored more than 37
  • Football World Cups on guys
  • And I got to watch Peru-Denmark because of our shitness, lol
  • 2s bounced back from last week's defeat with a win by 119 runs lit up by a splendid 73 off 36 balls by one of our middle order.
  • 2s bounced back from last week's defeat with a win by 119 runs lit up by a splendid 73 off 36 balls by one of our middle order.

I told you he still "had it".
  • Riviera said:

2s bounced back from last week's defeat with a win by 119 runs lit up by a splendid 73 off 36 balls by one of our middle order.

Almost 20 years older than anyone else in the side, like many of us of that generation he batted without a lid but still played shots of this generation that you, as a traditionalist, really would not have approved of, such as a reverse sweep for four.

The opposition weren't in a good place when he came into bat (we were 192-3 off almost 40) but by the close of the innings at 291-5 they were positively on their knees. Disappointingly, they made no attempt whatsoever to go for the runs and made their target getting a couple of batting bonus points to go with their two for bowling.
  • Riviera said:

2s bounced back from last week's defeat with a win by 119 runs lit up by a splendid 73 off 36 balls by one of our middle order.

Almost 20 years older than anyone else in the side, like many of us of that generation he batted without a lid but still played shots of this generation that you, as a traditionalist, really would not have approved of, such as a reverse sweep for four.

The opposition weren't in a good place when he came into bat (we were 192-3 off almost 40) but by the close of the innings at 291-5 they were positively on their knees. Disappointingly, they made no attempt whatsoever to go for the runs and made their target getting a couple of batting bonus points to go with their two for bowling.
    The reverse sweep is not owned by the millennials, Mushtaq Mohamed employed in the JPL over 40 years ago.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

The reverse sweep is not owned by the millennials, Mushtaq Mohamed employed in the JPL over 40 years ago.
    Same as 20/20 cricket I was playing that 45 years ago and it weren’t even new then, probably been played for around 90 years, but obviously it’s a new and exciting game
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I bet you didn't approve of it then either.