Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATT HOLLAND

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
I know loads of Charlton fans still love Matt Holland, but please tell me what he brings to the team?
ever since he came into the side last season, i think it was the sheff u game at home we have been nothing short of dreadful, the middle of the park is such a key position, and Bailey cant do it all on his own, he is scoring, his a decent passer and can tackle, all the attributes Matt Holland doesn't have. How many times does Matt have a shot and hit the target, very rarely maybe one in 10 games, how many times does he play a good ball from right to left or a through ball for on of the strikers to run onto. and how many times does he actually make a tackle and we come away with the ball, not many times at all.
Yes you can say he is committed and gives 110% but there is a time when that’s not good enough and it's been like that for 2 years now. Until Bailey gets a decent run in the team with either ZZ,Semedo,Racon or Shelvey we will never go forward (and yes i am aware zz and racon are injured So it should be Bailey and Shelvey tomorrow and then Bailey and either Shelvey or semedo on sat.
I'm sure you will all prob rip me for having ago at Captain clean shorts but i'm adamant that until he goes we will continue to decline

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited October 2008
    Player of The Year 2007/08 - Matt Holland.

FACT.
  • Against ipswich he was immense in the second half!
  • Player of the year woopy doo, how many people actualy gave a sh*t about voting for that last season, i know the one's that get there 3 hours early with a prawn sandwich and a cup of tea, not one player deserved anything last season and the same goes for them this season.
  • immense we were dreadful when he came on, we looked good for the first 10 minutes
  • Nah your right to a certain extent I still think he has something to offer as a sub when we need to tighten up and run around and hassle the opposition when we need to hang on a bit, but we shouldn't be relying on him. The sad truth is he is way past his best and he only won player of the year last year because he was the only player that seemed to care in the latter stages of last year.
  • The issue is not so much Matt Holland but more that we have a lot of players who bring nothing more than effort (as noble as that is) to the game. Creativity and goals actually win matches and we've scored 12 in 12 this season and 4 in our last 11 away games. Taking away penalties and an own goal these are our stats:

Varney 2
    Gray 2
    Bailey 2
    Holland 1
    Bouazza 1
    Hudson 1

It doesn't take einstein to work out from those stats that we have to change our style, system and personnel. If that doesn't work in the short term then we can always revert to trying to nick games one nil (as we are at the moment away from home) but if we carry on as we are we will get what we've always got - next to nothing.
  • Think you're barking up the wrong tree as far as having a dig at players go Nick.

Holland was everywhere on Saturday when we went down to nine men. Pardew moved him to right back then back to midfield and from where I was standing he ran himself into the ground and played well.

Kelly Youga, Hameur Bouazza, Martin Cranie poor.
    Holland, no way!
  • Holland is a good professional and you have to praise his work rate and attitude. However, I prefer players with an end product.
  • see we go back down to the same route all the time, Yes he gives 110% and I understand that, but overall he is not good enough his all round game with the ball at his feet is not good enough.
  • Would be a bit diffcult for the next 2 games on your Jonjo theory. He is with England u17's!
  • Sponsored links:

• But that’s the point all everyone has said is he runs around a lot and tries hard. We need more quality passing and tackling as well as work effect. The sad thing is most the team at the moment doesn’t even have that. Touching on the goals I think apart for Varney maybe doing a job on the right, they should both be dropped for toddy and dicko.
  • [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Holland is a good professional and you have to praise his work rate and attitude. However, I prefer players with an end product.
    Agreed. We are not going to trouble the play-offs while MH is in the team.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Think you're barking up the wrong tree as far as having a dig at players go Nick.

Holland was everywhere on Saturday when we went down to nine men. Pardew moved him to right back then back to midfield and from where I was standing he ran himself into the ground and played well.

Kelly Youga, Hameur Bouazza, Martin Cranie poor.
    Holland, no way!

I agree with this Matty H gets the tackles in etc so he doesn't move the ball forward as much anymore but he still gets it either to a safe place or to a winger who (if they were good enough) should run with it and deliver the crosses service should come from attacking midfielders and wingers not a defensive midfielder.
  • matt holland should be scoring 40 goals a season in this side.
  • The problem is when other people are not performing, he tries to do their job as well as his own.

He might be invisible to some, but not to his own manager and team mates.
    They'll appreciate his worth as a team player - even if some fans can't see it.

Anyway, we've already had 100 threads about Matt Holland.
  • He is our Claude Makalele...
  • more like our Ukulele.

surley 100 threads about matt holland shows there is a concern!
  • [cite]Posted By: nickaspanner[/cite]more like our Ukulele.
    lol!!
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]matt holland should be scoring 40 goals a season in this side.

No 100 goals! Nope Im thinking maybe even 150 like ambrose used to have on the OS!
  • Darren Ambrose now there's another football genius!
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we miss Jerome Thomas.

(....yeah,right !).
  • not as much as we miss Faye's presence in the team and Marcus B for his goals
  • Rommadahl is availble from Ajax....
  • Might as well finish the team off:

Andersen

Sankofa
    Sorondo
    Gibbs
    Thatcher

Rommedahl
    Faye
    Hughes
    Thomas

Bent (M)
    Walker

Perhaps we're not as badly off as we thought we were!
  • What was wrong with with Anderson ??? I thought he was a good keeper.
  • edited October 2008
    Holland is one of only 3 players we have of actual quality.

Holland
    ZZ
    Todorov

Next time any of the above 3 play, count the times they lose the ball when in possesion.

Then count the amount of times Gray, Sam or Bouazza lose possesion, there's your answer.

It really amazes me how little fans know about football.
  • Had to put someone in goal. In any case, he would have to be Jesus Christ to stop that team from conceding 10 a game!
  • Holland is never in possesion to lose the ball, yes ZZ and Todorov are good technically, what quality's does he bring to the team. tell me??
  • Hang on a minute are you saying Holland is better then Bailey, I know Nicky still has a bit to learn but come on! it amazes me how many fans where rose tinted glasses
  • Don't forget 'Addick that Walker scored ablinder at the rusty tool box against the spanners.