Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++Ezri Konsa signs for Brentford+++

Comments

• Redhenry said:

Answer please- who is making the decisions.

Gallen is making decisions on recruitment, I guess RD on sales
    Understand Gallen represented Charlton in this deal.
    I wonder how much experience he has negotiating deals?
  • In a world where the big clubs hoover up the young talent, and have to pay minimal compensation, and where Cat 1 academies cost a fortune to run, I can understand the business logic for Brentford. Why bother training up players from the age of 8 when you can just pick up the players let go by the big clubs aged 18-21?
  • Brentford rely heavily on stats, so teaching football skills to youngsters would be a waste of resources to some extent.
  • Brentford rely heavily on stats, so teaching football skills to youngsters would be a waste of resources to some extent.

Heavily on analysis but not only analysis. They've developed some good players over the last few years.

Heavily on analysis but not only analysis. They've developed some good players over the last few years.
    Doubt any of their big money sales have played more than a season for them, so more spotting talent than developing it.
  • CAFCsayer said:

I think this is literally a good move for all parties. I wouldnt start Konsa and think he is over-rated... 3.5mio is a good fee for someone of that stature and hopefully that can be used for a rebuild jobbie a la Jenkinson. Brentford have a young English talent, and Konsa is going to a club on the up where he will more than likely start most games, with a hefty wage rise to boot.

I agree with this - Konsa increasingly looked v average to me. Either that of he wasn't trying too hard last season. In which case....why keep him?
  • CAFCsayer said:

I think this is literally a good move for all parties. I wouldnt start Konsa and think he is over-rated... 3.5mio is a good fee for someone of that stature and hopefully that can be used for a rebuild jobbie a la Jenkinson. Brentford have a young English talent, and Konsa is going to a club on the up where he will more than likely start most games, with a hefty wage rise to boot.

I agree with this - Konsa increasingly looked v average to me. Either that of he wasn't trying too hard last season. In which case....why keep him?
    Oh do us a favour! He was played out of postion most of the season, and until Bow he was obviously told not to get forward. Did you see him for England U21s?
  • Sark99 said:

Brentford closed down their Youth Academy a couple of years ago. Instead they recruit young players once they have been through another clubs academy which is better value for money apparently.

It's a very interesting approach which raises many questions. Principally this, if it's such a good idea and everyone did the same, where would English football be? Even more ++++ed than it is now, I would say.

Brentford's owner couldn't do this in Germany. You wanna be Bundesliga, you gotta have academy, certain minimum investment, certain minimum standards. That's why they keep winning World Cups and stuff.

I think it is a fairly innovative move for a club their size. They claim they were spending £7M per year on their Academy. By saving all that money, they can buy 2-3 Konsa-quality players... every year. Over and above their regular transfer budget.
  • “It has always been my dream to join a big club like Brentford, I can’t wait to hear the roar of a full Griffin Park, oh wait, that’s a plane right, Heathrow flight path isn’t it. Cock Piss Partridge”
  • Versatile young player we can ill afford to lose if we have any serious aspirations of promotion.

With all due respect Brentford won't have paid the 'silly' money to make the sale of such a player worthwhile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Newsshopper reporting Brentford paid just £2.5m.

as reported on here at the time. 2.5m plus add on's

You say just £2.5m. Do you think Konsa is worth more?
  • Simonsen said:

Newsshopper reporting Brentford paid just £2.5m.

As a 20 year old England youth international who has won multiple tournaments, including the World Cup for his age group, and has played over 70 competitive first team games in the Football League, yes I do. Clubs pay a premium for English players due to the homegrown ruling, plus the money kicking around in English football now. The only reason he's gone for £2.5m is because Brentford paid the majority upfront, perhaps other clubs weren't willing to do that. It was a quick sell for RD.
  • Simonsen said:

Newsshopper reporting Brentford paid just £2.5m.

As a 20 year old England youth international who has won multiple tournaments, including the World Cup for his age group, and has played over 70 competitive first team games in the Football League, yes I do. Clubs pay a premium for English players due to the homegrown ruling, plus the money kicking around in English football now. The only reason he's gone for £2.5m is because Brentford paid the majority upfront, perhaps other clubs weren't willing to do that. It was a quick sell for RD.
    How many minutes did he play in those tournaments? He was an unused or very late sub in most of the games I saw.
  • Palace’s record signing cost them something like £27m. £2.5m for a player with Prem potential isn’t a lot. I agree he has a lot to do, but so did Nick Pope two years ago.
  • edited June 2018

Honestly people, some of you are as bad as RD and Meire if you think £2.5m is a fair price. Maybe it's because we have been in the depths of the 3rd Division for so long but the price of players is driven by the massive uplift in TV money which has been happening consistently. This money goes straight back to players and agents. £50m is now a commonplace figure wheras only 3 years ago people would be saying "whoooa" to such a figure. Yes, there is a trickle down effect. It trickles down further into the Championship than before because the size of the parachute payments, and the number of clubs currently getting them has also risen. That's why you get Championship clubs now splashing £10m or more. Add to that the fact that English players command a premium.

I'd say £4m is the right price for a player of such obvious pedigree and I have already knocked off £1m for his indifferent performances since Jan. They were performances. His innate ability remained undimmed. It might suggest an "attitude problem" but I'd have an attitude problem if I was working for that mad house of a business.

We undersold again, as we did Gomez and Pope. Maybe not Lookman, if you believe the £8m figure, but I'll believe that when I see the evidence in the accounts.

Well we never got a £4M offer in any of the last 3 transfer windows.
    So tbf we can say he's worth £4M, £5M or £10M and it matters not a jot.
    The best offer we got was £2.5M and we took it.

Personally if we think Konsa is worth say £4M, then would we expect £5M plus for Bauer ?
  • Honestly people, some of you are as bad as RD and Meire if you think £2.5m is a fair price. Maybe it's because we have been in the depths of the 3rd Division for so long but the price of players is driven by the massive uplift in TV money which has been happening consistently. This money goes straight back to players and agents. £50m is now a commonplace figure wheras only 3 years ago people would be saying "whoooa" to such a figure. Yes, there is a trickle down effect. It trickles down further into the Championship than before because the size of the parachute payments, and the number of clubs currently getting them has also risen. That's why you get Championship clubs now splashing £10m or more. Add to that the fact that English players command a premium.

I'd say £4m is the right price for a player of such obvious pedigree and I have already knocked off £1m for his indifferent performances since Jan. They were performances. His innate ability remained undimmed. It might suggest an "attitude problem" but I'd have an attitude problem if I was working for that mad house of a business.

We undersold again, as we did Gomez and Pope. Maybe not Lookman, if you believe the £8m figure, but I'll believe that when I see the evidence in the accounts.

Personally if we think Konsa is worth say £4M, then would we expect £5M plus for Bauer ?
    As you say, that's your personal opinion. If you can find a serious football professional who agrees with you that Bauer is worth more than Konsa on the English market, I will be pleased to hear from them.

• edited June 2018

Honestly people, some of you are as bad as RD and Meire if you think £2.5m is a fair price. Maybe it's because we have been in the depths of the 3rd Division for so long but the price of players is driven by the massive uplift in TV money which has been happening consistently. This money goes straight back to players and agents. £50m is now a commonplace figure wheras only 3 years ago people would be saying "whoooa" to such a figure. Yes, there is a trickle down effect. It trickles down further into the Championship than before because the size of the parachute payments, and the number of clubs currently getting them has also risen. That's why you get Championship clubs now splashing £10m or more. Add to that the fact that English players command a premium.

As you say, that's your personal opinion. If you can find a serious football professional who agrees with you that Bauer is worth more than Konsa on the English market, I will be pleased to hear from them.

Well we all know Pearce and Bauer are better centre halves at present and Konsa can't make the first 11 of a L1 side, when everyone is fit. There's no doubt he's no Joe Gomez.
  • Sponsored links:

• Honestly people, some of you are as bad as RD and Meire if you think £2.5m is a fair price. Maybe it's because we have been in the depths of the 3rd Division for so long but the price of players is driven by the massive uplift in TV money which has been happening consistently. This money goes straight back to players and agents. £50m is now a commonplace figure wheras only 3 years ago people would be saying "whoooa" to such a figure. Yes, there is a trickle down effect. It trickles down further into the Championship than before because the size of the parachute payments, and the number of clubs currently getting them has also risen. That's why you get Championship clubs now splashing £10m or more. Add to that the fact that English players command a premium.

Well we all know Pearce and Bauer are better centre halves at present and Konsa can't make the first 11 of a L1 side, when everyone is fit. There's no doubt he's no Joe Gomez.
    But neither you or I are football professionals. So what we "know" is a bit limited. If you mean that Bauer and Pearce performed more effectively, then yes of course. But that's something different. It's why you have Cup giant killings.

Jonjo Shelvey couldn't make the first 11 of a league one side when everyone was fit, either.

• Surely the market dictates the price?

Konsa has been known about by all the PL big boys for a couple of seasons at least, so if we were going to smoke out a bigger, better offer it would surely have come by now?

Konsa has been known about by all the PL big boys for a couple of seasons at least, so if we were going to smoke out a bigger, better offer it would surely have come by now?

The deju vu thing is, like Gomez, clubs will get the best price for players as the window closes. 6 weeks? Why sell when players are on holiday to the 1st decent bid. Is Flog-it not shown in Belgium? Get a bidding war going. Wait until Brentford sell Mepham for £15m.

Marnin!

Imagine that you are buying club and in the market for a player of Konsa's profile. You identify two such players. One plays for a club that is well managed, including having sophisticated monitoring of recent transfer market moves, which help them benchmark prices; and a constructive but hands-off relationship with a large number of agents. Furthermore, the club is clearly not in desperate need of cash, and could keep the player.

The other plays for RD's Charlton in its current form.

Where do you think you'll get a better deal?

• edited June 2018
    It sounds like Duchatelet has got the hump with the delays, has flogged Konsa to cover the last quarter’s running costs and is now jibbing about a £ for £ reduction in the purchase price. if what Murray says about a second British bidder is really correct, that would only encourage Duchatelet to dig in.

There is an extraordinary suggestion in a News Shopper article that, if Duchatelet can reduce monthly running costs further, it may make the club a more attractive proposition. It’s also, of course, a surefire way of entrenching ourselves in League 1 for years to come - or worse.

As Chicago Addick has said in his article - is there no end to this nightmare ?
  • Blucher said:

It sounds like Duchatelet has got the hump with the delays, has flogged Konsa to cover the last quarter’s running costs and is now jibbing about a £ for £ reduction in the purchase price. if what Murray says about a second British bidder is really correct, that would only encourage Duchatelet to dig in.

There is an extraordinary suggestion in a News Shopper article that, if Duchatelet can reduce monthly running costs further, it may make the club a more attractive proposition. It’s also, of course, a surefire way of entrenching ourselves in League 1 for years to come - or worse.

Getting shot of Naby Sarr and Igor Vetokele might help, but would cost RD money. Otherwise it’s nonsense.
  • Blucher said:

Getting shot of Naby Sarr and Igor Vetokele might help, but would cost RD money. Otherwise it’s nonsense.
    Bauer might also be on a good wage, another of the Championship signings.
  • Reality is, we are a shit show at the moment and every other club know it. Yes I think we may have sold Konsa for less than he is worth, but that is all we got offered as @Covered End said.

We will only get a maximum of around £1m for Bauer. Less than half of that for Magennis. If Sarr and Vetokele leave it probably will be for a small fee to reduce the wage bill, or it’ll be on loan.

There is not a lot more that can be done other than completely strip the squad to the bare bones. And that is my worry if this takeover doesn’t get sorted out soon.
  • Konsas move was anticipated. Or put another way, Konsapated. Rather like awaiting any movement since January. Bagsie we leave Europe on Monday and requisition every Euroscum asset to save England. Fit and proper person? Duckshitalley? Really? The beautiful game. The World Cup is abbreviated WC because it is something most would like to sh

"If you ever see a post from WRICURKINCAM walk away and pretend you didn't. Only madness lies ahead. " = Henry Irving.