Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++Ezri Konsa signs for Brentford+++

Comments

• Answer please- who is making the decisions.

A complete numpty of a bloke in Belgium.
  • Brentford? Strange!

Granted he'll be a regular though. Could have done a bit better for himself though! But good luck to him though!

In five years from now we will be higher than Brentford. They are punching well above their weight. We are punching well above our weight.

Sorry I meant we are punching well BELOW our weight.
  • So you are all confident this deal was made by the new owner's?

I am not.

Also, even if it is true, if the rumour about RD getting player sale profits until the full price is paid is correct, there is no guarantee that this money is reinvested in players. It could be a gift to himself on his way out the door.

Finally, it cannot be ruled out entirely that this is a sign the deal is falling apart.

The big question is though, how much was the transfer fee £2.5m or £25 billion? :wink:
  • So you are all confident this deal was made by the new owner's?

I am not.

Also, even if it is true, if the rumour about RD getting player sale profits until the full price is paid is correct, there is no guarantee that this money is reinvested in players. It could be a gift to himself on his way out the door.

Finally, it cannot be ruled out entirely that this is a sign the deal is falling apart.

The big question is though, how much was the transfer fee £2.5m or £25 billion? :wink:
    £77.5M with a 100% sell on clause.
  • I think this is literally a good move for all parties. I wouldnt start Konsa and think he is over-rated... 3.5mio is a good fee for someone of that stature and hopefully that can be used for a rebuild jobbie a la Jenkinson. Brentford have a young English talent, and Konsa is going to a club on the up where he will more than likely start most games, with a hefty wage rise to boot.
  • also dijksteel is a better player

Teddy Ruxpin
  • Reasonably shocked by this, always a bit difficult when you lose a player who are signing for ambition that are smaller than we are - Brentford and QPR

My hope is that in 2 years we are bigger and better than Brentford and that Ez has fulfilled his potential and signing for a prem team with a nice add on for us

Good luck Ez
  • I suspect that his performances last season have reduced his price if anything. Referring to the wonderful Lancashire Lad Stats for the season, Konsa finished with a very average 6.33, well behind Bauer, JDS, Pearce and in fewer games Page.

It's not as if he even looked a class above most of the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m not particularly bothered he’s gone as he never really impressed me and I never thought he was a PL player in the making. Can be easily replaced in League One for relatively little money. If, and a big if, this has reduced the price the Aussies are paying by 2m/2.5m and if because of this they are willing to invest those funds then that alone should fund a squad good enough to get promotion.
  • I can’t see this any other way but a bad deal for us. If you sell talent you must replace them. To the last the owner is cost cutting. He’s now further depleting a squad that was not good enough over 46 league games. I don’t see how there is or has been any planning for next season given that we don’t have a manager, coach in place or the other obvious positions filled and at present probably weeks away from doing so. Hopefully this is the vindictive gits last deal before he is no more but until he’s gone the club goes backwards.
    There is a good chance we will be treading water next season and with every year we spend kicking around the lower reaches the more difficult it becomes to attract talent or to develop it from an academy.
  • Bloody ell! Sincerely hope there's a big sell-on clause (and not for that Belgian cretin) because whilst he's no Joe Gomez this kid's got a lot going for him in the modern game. He's only 20 and playing in a better side is likely to improve quickly before possibly going for really silly money. It's gonna be really galling if we're finally on the way back and see a club the size of Brentford leaving us behind, new stadium et al.
  • Play him in his best position and watch him go.
  • also dijksteel is a better player

This, don’t think he will be that much of a miss long term, if he was as good as we all thought or had the potential then I am sure other would have got in before Brentford.
  • Davo55 said:

Not heartbroken by this but really looking forward to the day when we’ll be a transfer predator again. Not nice always being the club that sells its best youngsters.

When was that then - we lost arguably our best young player ever when we were in a champions league qualification spot.
    True but at least it was a bit balanced then. We lost some but we signed some exciting players too. Seems a long time since that happened.
  • robroy said:

So why did we turn down the £1.8 and then £3million over two years from Everton in Jan?

It was 1.8m in Jan. The takeover talks were still ongoing.
  • We literally need to buy an entire new team this summer

This next 53 Days.
    Don’t panic. We’ll pick up a few bargains once the World Cup is over.
  • I'm just glad he managed to get his move up north.

51° 29' 16.0476'' N Brentford
    51° 29' 12.0732'' N Charlton

My calculation is 135yds.
    North of The River...
  • Welcome to the slightly bigger boys league, Ezri. You'll like it up here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fair to say this one come out of left field though.

I’m just hoping this is the end of the Duchatelet era. Our sad misfortune is that we have hit a hot run of developing quality young talent under his ownership that have progressed to higher level and generated significant financial returns. And not a single penny of that has been used to the benefit of trying to move our club forward. Such a wasted opportunity.

Good luck Konsa. Another to add to the list of ‘we never saw enough of’. He’s the tools to progress but still has work to do
  • I don't think Konsa would have stayed even if the club had been taken over. His mates are playing at Championship or Premier clubs while he was still struggling to make a big impression in League One.

Looks like a smart career move. Brentford have a good recent record of buying lower league talent and flogging them on for big profits....Andre Gray, James Tarkowski.....and Ryan Woods will be the next one. But, he has to get in the side and improve his performances or he won't make it at a higher level. He has got to be more aggressive and fill out or he will only really be suited to three-at-the back (where the other two do all the heading).
  • edited June 2018
    PWR - I’ve not been fully convinced about Konsa but he does have potential, which is probably why Brentford have bought him as they are a club that tries to buy that type of player and sell them on for more money. Will we miss him ? I doubt it and had he stayed, and played, there would have been the continual chatter that some team or other was interested in him, and that’s disruptive, so if it is likely he might go then far better to get rid of him now than let it drag on.

Is it a good career move for him ? Only if Brentford can sell him on is my view. Brentford is like QPR, another small club treading water. That’s not a jibe to be disrespectful to either club, just a matter of fact, neither are big enough to really compete and are division make-weights. Is Jordan cousins still at QPR ?

Gallen is making decisions on recruitment, I guess RD on sales
  • Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Not heartbroken by this but really looking forward to the day when we’ll be a transfer predator again. Not nice always being the club that sells its best youngsters.

When was that then - we lost arguably our best young player ever when we were in a champions league qualification spot.
    True but at least it was a bit balanced then. We lost some but we signed some exciting players too. Seems a long time since that happened.
    The key difference was that no one in the club wanted to sell Parker, nor were we under financial pressure to do so. One director is credited with being ready to give Abramovic a good smack. The club came under pressure which was intolerable and unprecedented in its nature, with national newspapers, principally the Sun, openly spreading disinformation to support Chelsea's bid. Welcome to the Russian way of doing business.

While the economics of football outside the FAPL mean its impossible to break even and build a competitive team, pressure to sell will always be there. It's then the task of the owner and senior management to plan for that in business terms, so as to maximise the money received and minimise disruption to the squad. We did that with Bowyer ok, with Danny Mills, with Darren Bent, with Jenkinson I guess. Not at all sure we did with Shelvey. Definitely not with Gomez, given the murky nature of Liverpool's free run at him. Under RD the big question is not just what money we realised for Gomez, Lookman and Konsa, but what has happened to that money. A question that will raise a weary eyebrow among our friends in Liege.

• Redhenry said:

Answer please- who is making the decisions.

I wish they'd just not told RD about the offer. He's that disinterested he would have been none the wiser.
  • Brentford closed down their Youth Academy a couple of years ago. Instead they recruit young players once they have been through another clubs academy which is better value for money apparently.
  • Redhenry said:

Answer please- who is making the decisions.

Understand Gallen represented Charlton in this deal.
  • Sark99 said:

Brentford closed down their Youth Academy a couple of years ago. Instead they recruit young players once they have been through another clubs academy which is better value for money apparently.

It's a very interesting approach which raises many questions. Principally this, if it's such a good idea and everyone did the same, where would English football be? Even more ++++ed than it is now, I would say.

Brentford's owner couldn't do this in Germany. You wanna be Bundesliga, you gotta have academy, certain minimum investment, certain minimum standards. That's why they keep winning World Cups and stuff.

• Sark99 said:

Brentford closed down their Youth Academy a couple of years ago. Instead they recruit young players once they have been through another clubs academy which is better value for money apparently.

They must have their own reasons for this, money saving probably at the top and being in London they can, like you say, more likely have access to others hard work.
    As a model for the future of football in this country its a disaster waiting to happen. An academy should be part and parcel of all league teams.