Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

US Open 2018

Gone slightly under the radar with the World Cup starting this week.

This year is played at Shinnecock Hills, last seen in 2004 where Retief Goosen beat Phil Mick by 2 shots.

The course has had a revamp and having read a few previews this morning, should suit the better iron/wedge players even though the course has been extended by 500 yards!

Gary Woodland e/w looks a good bet. But surely this is Mickelsons year!
Oosthuizen is always a good, safe e/w bet too.

Anyone got anything to share?

Comments

• Why is speith 18/1? Seems rather large skybet are 8 places and religiously blind back fowler,

Have added in rahm as 20/1 looks big
  • Went to the USOpen qualifying at Walton Heath last week. It’s a great day and goes completely under the radar. It’s free entry and there are no ropes so you are free to wander as you please within the bounds of respect. 140 pro competing for 14 places and there is always a play off for the last place or two. This year it was an eight way play off. A few big names - Westwood, Harrington, Olesen, Peiters, Rock, Beef to name but a few and you can get right up close and personal.

As to the tournament itself, the top ten look so strong at the moment that I can’t see much outside them to be honest.
  • As ever another golf thread soon becomes a betting thread.
  • Rose. Fleetwood. Poulter. England WILL be victorious this year. I feel it in my bones.
  • Why is speith 18/1? Seems rather large skybet are 8 places and religiously blind back fowler,

Have added in rahm as 20/1 looks big

Speith’s putting has deserted him. It’s his biggest weapon and for the first time in his career it’s a bit flaky. Will be interesting to see how he recovers.
  • edited June 2018

Went to the USOpen qualifying at Walton Heath last week. It’s a great day and goes completely under the radar. It’s free entry and there are no ropes so you are free to wander as you please within the bounds of respect. 140 pro competing for 14 places and there is always a play off for the last place or two. This year it was an eight way play off. A few big names - Westwood, Harrington, Olesen, Peiters, Rock, Beef to name but a few and you can get right up close and personal.

As to the tournament itself, the top ten look so strong at the moment that I can’t see much outside them to be honest.

I played Walton Heath around 10 years ago, the day after the US Open qualifier. The course was immaculate & also pretty empty as it was officialy "closed" due to the fact they may have needed to host a play off or finish off if there was bad weather the day before. Playef both courses & was a lovely day all round.....esp when it was all paid for by the BDM of a very large insurance & pensions company....(those were the days)

back to the US Open. no idea who will win but often someone outside the top 10 makes a good running, but usually the big guns pull through. I don't think Rory or Spieth are on top of their games atm but DJ is & Rose is always there or thereabouts.
  • edited June 2018
    Riviera said:

As ever another golf thread soon becomes a betting thread.

in which we are discussing the odds on particular GOLFers winning a GOLF competition.

i would like to see rose do something.
  • Done Fowler & Rahm to win, Molinari & Leishman each way. I fancy anyone who breaks par is the likely winner.
  • I want it windy and sunbaked and everyone struggling to break par. In a perverse way I enjoyed the 7th being watered mid-round in '04.
  • My dad used to play Shinnecock Hills when he lived in Chicago (I believe it's where he was when my mum went in to labor with me). Unsurprisingly said it was very tough, but this is the '80s mind.

I'm with @RedPanda, Chicago special, hot, humid, swirling winds that make no sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lived and worked in Southampton NY from 96-00 and spent 2 of those years living in a place that backed onto Shinnecock and National Golf Club. Great golf course and venue, greens usually hard and crusty due to heat and wind so is always tough to play.

Have many friends over there, place is absolutely rammed. They mainly work in hospitality so will rake it in this week. Many hotels taken over by PGA, but Tiger has moored his yacht in Sag Harbor nearby.

Safe to say i'm looking forward to this one.
  • Some suitable carnage taking place already.

Spieth +5 thru 6
    Rory +5 thru 6
    Day +4 thru 8
    Grace +3 thru 6, same for Leishman
    Etc etc.

I've been concerned that brutal US Opens are being phased out, hopefully this weekend proves me wrong.
  • Rory +10 after 13
  • Poulter is the man
  • I would love to see poulter win this tournament after all his exploits in the Ryder cup.
  • Woods 4 putt from 20 feet

Wasn't the hardest either uphill straight into the wind

Ouch...

If you lack a little confidence this course it kills you

Iron shot off next tee on 539 par 4 and he has played an awful slice into the rough - shocker

Unfortunately cannot see any Tiger magic now

Shame as on his game he is best golf television bar none

Do feel he has been totally bigged up with the odds to win ...
  • 2 double bogeys in 2 holes after a triple bogey at the first

Sad
  • Last man in the field is on +20. His scorecard resembles some of mine in the past.
  • edited June 2018
    Love that the course appears to have a few demons. Makes me want to tune in tomorrow as a casual golf fan.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:

Rose. Fleetwood. Poulter. England WILL be victorious this year. I feel it in my bones.

70/1 for Poulter to be leading after the first round! Kerching! :wink:
  • edited June 2018
    DJ looks well dialled in again. Watching the Fox feed for his group, they reckon a couple of people will shoot mid 60s today.
  • watched a couple of hours last night, that course looks brutal.
  • supaclive said:

supaclive said:

Rose. Fleetwood. Poulter. England WILL be victorious this year. I feel it in my bones.

70/1 for Poulter to be leading after the first round! Kerching! :wink:
    All 3 in the top 5 ! Though Rose and Poulter not out yet in R2

• Nice to see the English boys Rose and Poulter right up there and both bagging birdies
  • Another birdie Poulter
    Early days but...

Would love it if here wa in the mix on Sunday night

• 3 birdies in 4 for Poults...

1 behind

C'mon!!!
  • Omg

Poults a Seven from green side bunker in 2

Sad Gutted for him

Was like watching me
  • supaclive said:

You might be in the money!
  • BR3red said:

Omg

Poults a Seven from green side bunker in 2

Sad Gutted for him

Was like watching me

golf's a funny game. You can play 16 holes, play for over 4 hours, get into a great position & 1 mistake & its all wiped out.