Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++Ezri Konsa signs for Brentford+++

Comments

• If you are a Charlton fan you get used to selling. But this is hugely underwhelming. . I'm amazed he's settled for Brentford. Can only assume that the Prem clubs were not queueing up ...in their eyes he's more Cousins than Gomez.
  • I think it’s probably a stepping stone type move. He isn’t proven in the Championship, so jumping 2 divisions may have been a bit too much for him. I should imagine next season, if he does well he won’t be far off a premier league move.

So, we’ve sold Konsa, Lookman, Gomez and Cousins for just shy of £20m and paid the likes of Tiexiera and Sarr between 12 - 16k (although I find it hard to believe Sarr is on that!!) a week.....

I’ll leave the rest for @blackpool72 to say.

If you insist.

Just sell the club and FUCK OFF
    I thank you.
  • Well I'm excited that I've seen a championship star of the future play for Charlton.
  • Good punt from Brentford's perspective. Talented centre back who can cover at full back and in midfield. Will probably improve and eventually get sold to a prem club for loads of money. We will mutter and snarl and send yet more dark thoughts in Roland's direction but I don't think we will miss him too much. I actually preferred Dijksteel to Konsa at full back and as everyone seems to agree he was a bit lightweight at centre back in Div. 1. I hope we sell Mag now but only if we sign a target man who can score goals better than 1 in 4 games. Being an addick I can only hope...
  • I think it’s probably a stepping stone type move. He isn’t proven in the Championship, so jumping 2 divisions may have been a bit too much for him. I should imagine next season, if he does well he won’t be far off a premier league move.

So, we’ve sold Konsa, Lookman, Gomez and Cousins for just shy of £20m and paid the likes of Tiexiera and Sarr between 12 - 16k (although I find it hard to believe Sarr is on that!!) a week.....

I’ll leave the rest for @blackpool72 to say.

• HandG said:

It can’t be Roland draining the last few pennies can it?

Can’t get my head around why a move to a mid table Championship club which probably has inferior facilities to ours has been agreed by anyone? All very odd...

Championship club, moving to a new stadium in the next 12 months.

They are progressing whilst we are..........
  • I must say that I'm a bit deflated by the news.

It'd be easier to take if we'd had a takeover and competents were in charge - but now, it just feels like more of the same (because it is).

With the right structures in place I think he could become a seriously good player - not that that would ever be likely with the current owner.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have a feeling the Aussie's will get in a completely new squad this summer! As Chrissie Powell did .
  • Don't think it is money in RD's pocket. The club have simply realised an asset. On the books it will show a reduction in one type of asset (player value) and an increase in a another type of asset (capital reserves). But it suggests he is no longer willing to fund wages from his own pocket.

Doubt any home grown talent is on our books, just those we pay a fee for.
  • vffvff
    edited June 2018
    uie2 said:

I have a feeling the Aussie's will get in a completely new squad this summer! As Chrissie Powell did .

They better get on with it. The pre season clock is ticking. The Konsa Brentford deal is not great news. I am hoping it is darkest before the dawn.
  • Maybe Brentford will give Alan Judge now! Well if he's not injured again
  • Selling the silver before the takeover. I don't think Konsa is better than where Brentford are now, per se
  • Howells said:

Leuth said:

Scoham said:

Leuth said:

A lot of ignorance here towards what Brentford have become. They're the textbook model for any typical L1 club who want to break bigger

Although I don't see many of our fans agreeing with their choice to get rid of their academy.
    Fair point - but they've found a method that works for them, and it's gotten them places.

I'm not saying we should follow their model - we have the fanbase, catchment area and spirit that means an academy model is still preferable. But they've worked wonders for a club of their size
    Leuth said:

Fumbluff said:

Who?

Brentford. Tiny West London club who should be in the Conference South, apparently
    Calls them a small club but then sarcastically berates other fans who consider Brentford a small club only a few minutes later.

Strange.
    Just be grateful he hasn't played a race card yet.
  • Good move for him. Better option than staying with us. Going to a team on the up who play good football and which is apparently well run. Will be in a better window for bigger teams if he does well.
  • Thought he would have gone to a bigger club than Brentford.
  • I think he’ll be playing premier league football in the next 3 years, Brentford could well be the next Huddersfield / Bournemouth / Burnley.

Pretty sickening to see the club stagnate, I sincerely hope better days lie ahead, as the last week as been bleeding horrible.
  • If £2.5m is Chris Powell’s transfer kitty: great
    If it’s £2.5m off the asking price so more money for transfers: same thing/great
    If it’s Roland’s last act: vile but goodbye

But overall it’s just sad that another Charlton youngster has been flogged off while we’re stuck in League 1 and not in the Championship where the likes of Konsa could develop and be part of a potential Premier League return.
  • Sponsored links:

• Come on boys. Nothing changed when we lost our CEO. Not alot has changed since the CFO went. We dont look in a hurry to get a new manager and who the fuck really needs players?

Marshall, Magennis, Konsa.....we'll keep leaking 'open to offers' stories to the press until the lot are gone. Proper clear out this summer!
  • I'm just glad he managed to get his move up north.
  • We literally need to buy an entire new team this summer

This next 53 Days.
  • Good luck to Ezri, he is not in the league of Gomez but that misses the point. He is one of the better players in what is already a very small squad proven incapable of promotion from this division.

To have any chance of promotion we need to keep our better players and build on them.

Each summer since relegation from the PL we have sold our better players and fans have tried to reconcile it with ‘if the money is spent well we can improve”, with the exception of our one League One winning season we have failed to do that pretty much every year.
  • Some people are comforting themselves with the idea that the Aussies must have negotiated a deal whereby the purchase price drops if any assets are sold in the meantime, by the sale value of those assets. That's Ok up to a point, but only up to a point. If the asset has been sold for less than a competent management team could have achieved, it's still a problem. Konsa, a good player, has gone, and he needs to be replaced. Let's say he has gone for £2.5m as @Redhenry asserts. Personally I think that's a ridiculous price for an English U21 international. £4m seems to me more reasonable. So effectively the Aussies have to pay £1.5m more than they would have done if he had been competently sold. That's £1.5m less cash that could be pumped into the squad. And its another hole to be plugged in a squad by a management team that does not exist with half the summer break already wasted.

Glad I didn't allow myself any euphoria at the rumours that a deal was close. I'd feel even more depressed now.
  • not that bothered....he had more poor games than good. Too laid back. Thought he would become better than he became even under jj . Good luck ...may become another simon francis rather than another joe gomez who oozed talent. sounds sour grapes and is to a point. hope we not duchatelet get something out of this.
  • Answer please- who is making the decisions.