Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++Ezri Konsa signs for Brentford+++

Comments

• Brentford owned by a professional gambler I think, and are looking to progress.
    Similar to Brighton a few years ago, so no big shock really.
  • Speaks volumes that the largest bid we got in January was less than 2m.

As long as money from sales can start to be invested in the squad then that's fine by me.

Sadly dont see that happening...
    Why not? If money comes off the asking price for the club then that's extra money freed up to spend on new players.

I'd imagine the Aussies wouldn't be too happy about having the best value player asset sold from under them without any kind of compensation involved.
  • From Konsa’s point of view, this is a decent move. Will be playing regularly at a higher level, and no doubt with a handsome pay rise. Fair play to the lad. Much better than chasing big money, signing for a prem team and wasting time in the reserves/being farmed our on loan to 2 clubs a year for a few seasons. Hopefully he can fulfil his potential. Good luck to him.
  • Makes sense - was always gonna b one of the first out the door this summer. Keeping hold of Bauer, currently our best centre half would be much more encouraging if we can do it.
  • Would like to think we've included a decent % of any sell on fee in the deal but i'd be surprised if RD gives a shit to even bother.
  • Redhenry said:

2.5m plus add ons apparently

All in the current owners wallet so wish it was a lot less. Let's all hope no more leave before we are taken over.
  • Brentford fan at work (yes, really) says they're about to offload a centre back as well, so it looks a good move for him.
  • Taking the emotion out of it for a minute, he's wanted to move seemingly for a while and has been on the radar of prem clubs for a year.

He's guaranteed championship football, will be even more in the shop window for the top flight now and probably got a bump in pay without having to move from London.

If I was him why would you risk staying at a basket case club that has a disinterested owner who wants to sell, no full time manager and no guarantee of that changing any time soon as we move further and further through the close season whilst most clubs are formulating plans and shaping squads for next term. Charlton are a big gamble at the moment with nothing to point at that we will be even better off than last year and possibly worse if a takeover doesn't happen soon.

No brainer if you are Konsa.

Is he guaranteed Championship Football though... Barbet and Egan have both got 70+ appearances in Defence for Brentford, not to mention Chris Mepham who got a good number of appearances last season.

He's probably in the same sort of queue for Brentford as he was for Charlton when it comes to being a first team regular
  • Sponsored links:

• Best of luck to him. Can you blame him?

• Can’t believe my old student little club has just bought one of our most promising youngsters.

Sums up the Roland Duchatelet years.
  • Taking the emotion out of it for a minute, he's wanted to move seemingly for a while and has been on the radar of prem clubs for a year.

He's guaranteed championship football, will be even more in the shop window for the top flight now and probably got a bump in pay without having to move from London.

If I was him why would you risk staying at a basket case club that has a disinterested owner who wants to sell, no full time manager and no guarantee of that changing any time soon as we move further and further through the close season whilst most clubs are formulating plans and shaping squads for next term. Charlton are a big gamble at the moment with nothing to point at that we will be even better off than last year and possibly worse if a takeover doesn't happen soon.

No brainer if you are Konsa.

Is he guaranteed Championship Football though... Barbet and Egan have both got 70+ appearances in Defence for Brentford, not to mention Chris Mepham who got a good number of appearances last season.

He's probably in the same sort of queue for Brentford as he was for Charlton when it comes to being a first team regular
    Possibly not but far more likely than at Charlton.
  • edited June 2018
    This firmly suggests there was never any meaningful Prem interest - why join a Championship club on modest wages when you can join a Prem club on high wages (and presumably be loaned back to the Championship)?
  • Katrien was wrong, we will see the championship players of the future now.
  • I'd guess RD has done this deal to fund running costs pending the sale - there's no income currently other than player sales, and he won't want to put any more cash in.
    I'd be amazed if the price for the club doesn't fall by the amount of the transfer fee. I also doubt there will be any add ons - under the current situation such a contingent payment would be difficult to agree on, RD wouldn't be interested anyway, and it would help RD get a bigger up front fee thus generating immediate cash.
  • There's no way the Aussies will have allowed RD to sell him for say 1mil and then knock that off the asking price.

Nobody would go through the negotiations to buy a business and let them sell off assets just before you took over. It's either Roland with the Aussies blessing, the Aussies aren't coming or the Aussies themselves.

I believe its the first one, my concern is that could it be the Aussies didn't have the funds so allowed Roland to sell Konsa in order to reach a deal?
  • £3.5m in Rd pocket.
  • Howells said:

YTS1978 said:

From Konsa’s point of view, this is a decent move. Will be playing regularly at a higher level, and no doubt with a handsome pay rise. Fair play to the lad. Much better than chasing big money, signing for a prem team and wasting time in the reserves/being farmed our on loan to 2 clubs a year for a few seasons. Hopefully he can fulfil his potential. Good luck to him.

In all honesty you have to question if there was actaully any interest from Premier league clubs.
    Maybe back in January but now? I'm not so sure.

Cawley summed it up well ;
    Despite links to the Premier League, Konsa’s performances for Charlton looked unlikely to lead to a top-flight move as they were solid rather than standout.

@Howells I hear you. I always thought he was a wee bit over rated to be honest, but I’ve only seen him a handful of times. He clearly has talent, as backed up by the more regular attendees who post. Not unusual for top teams to hoover up talent from the lower leagues just for the sake of it though, so this move surprised me a little
  • edited June 2018

£3.5m in Rd pocket.

£3.5m less that the Australians have to pay?
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:

Redhenry said:

All in the current owners wallet so wish it was a lot less. Let's all hope no more leave before we are taken over.

£3.5m in Rd pocket.

But maybe off the asking price the club as well.
  • Scoham said:

shirty5 said:

Redhenry said:

£3.5m in Rd pocket.

But maybe off the asking price the club as well.
    Who knows? How many more players to go before we are sold? February is one hell of a long month this year
  • What's with all the Brentford hate? Jealousy?
  • i think 3.5 million for him is good money, hes not that good, and at league 1 get a few seasoned players at this level and you've got promotion, then you invest heavy in championship
  • colthe3rd said:

What's with all the Brentford hate? Jealousy?

Shock not hate
  • shirty5 said:

Who gets the money?

The current owner
    Me now:

• colthe3rd said:

What's with all the Brentford hate? Jealousy?

i dont think its hate just we are a bigger club ( granted not in current climate ) and its sad to see when our best players are sold to them.
  • Redhenry said:

We really do get mugged off don't we. Still, less for Roland.
  • Redhenry said:

This is the key now isn’t it, dushatelet and merde have been shockingly incompetent on sell-ons but regardless of currently perceived talent, he undoubtedly has potential and has been sold to, if you will, a larger shop window than he was in. Brentford will gladly take £10m+ for him if he has 1 or 2 good seasons and it’ll be a shame that we will then miss out on a cut of that one way or another....