Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Selling of a social club

Am currently a member of a social club where the members agreed to sell the club a couple of weeks ago ,were shown the options and voted though one of the options.
Members own the freehold of the club.
It was pointed out by the committee that we needed to make a decision as there is a bill to pay for middle of February if we fail to pay the bill we could lose the club.
The firm we agreed to sell to were giving us 5% upfront to pay off existing bills and run the club until planning goes through.
Done and dusted in my eyes.
Found out yesterday that nothing has been signed with the firm we voted on as a couple of higher bids are on the table.
If nothing is signed by mid February and the club gets closed down are the president and committee liable?
Thanks

Comments

• clb74 said:

Am currently a member of a social club where the members agreed to sell the club a couple of weeks ago ,were shown the options and voted though one of the options.
    It was pointed out by the committee that we needed to make a decision as there is a bill to pay for middle of February if we fail to pay the bill we could lose the club.
    The firm we agreed to sell to were giving us 5% upfront to pay off existing bills and run the club until planning goes through.
    Found out yesterday that nothing has been signed with the firm we voted on as a couple of higher bids are on the table.
    If nothing is signed by mid February and the club gets closed down are the president and committee liable?
    Thanks

Have you read the constitution of the club? And, what was the wording of the motion you voted on?
  • edited January 2018
    https://www.icaew.com/en/archive/library/subject-gateways/law/contract-law/legal-alert/case-law-personal-liability-of-club-committee-members-highlighted

http://www.diycommitteeguide.org/resource/liability-and-legal-structures

In essence it appears to depend on whether or not the social club is incorporated assuming the Committee Members have acted in good faith and not negligently.
  • Fingers crossed they’ve acted in good faith...unlike the shysters who managed to screw over the Members, including my dad, of the Woolwich Catholic Club!!
  • Club together, pay the 5 per cent yourselves, and tell the developer (i assume) to fuck off, and find someone else in your own time.
  • I would say that they are liable. At the very least they should have told you that there was other bidders & so they were waiting to see what happens - but then I think you should have had a vote on that as well.

Sack them & appoint new ones.
  • edited January 2018
    Chizz said:

clb74 said:

Thanks

Have you read the constitution of the club? And, what was the wording of the motion you voted on?
    Hi Chizz I haven't read the constitution.
    The meeting went ahead on a Sunday it was agreed the president, committee would meet with the agreed bid in the week and to sign papers for them to hand over the 5%.
  • I would say that they are liable. At the very least they should have told you that there was other bidders & so they were waiting to see what happens - but then I think you should have had a vote on that as well.

Sack them & appoint new ones.

Not sure if the club can open without a committee
  • LenGlover said:

https://www.icaew.com/en/archive/library/subject-gateways/law/contract-law/legal-alert/case-law-personal-liability-of-club-committee-members-highlighted

http://www.diycommitteeguide.org/resource/liability-and-legal-structures

In essence it appears to depend on whether or not the social club is incorporated assuming the Committee Members have acted in good faith and not negligently.

Cheers len
  • I know nothing about your club or it's finances but if someone offered me 5% for anything I would baulk at it. Five percent is fuck all and an insult in any meaningful negotiation. If that's all you are really worth, throw the towel in and walk away. The fact that they have offered you 5% tells me you are worth more, 20% at least, get up on your hind legs and fight for it!
  • Sponsored links:

• SE9SE9
    edited January 2018
    TelMc32 said:

Fingers crossed they’ve acted in good faith...unlike the shysters who managed to screw over the Members, including my dad, of the Woolwich Catholic Club!!

I know nothing of what happen here so I'm just Insrested.

What happened in the end because I'm sure that club must have been closed down for at least 10 years?

Sorry ... just asking what happened to the catholic club In the end
  • The title of this thread and you are a contradiction in terms.
  • SE9 said:

TelMc32 said:

Fingers crossed they’ve acted in good faith...unlike the shysters who managed to screw over the Members, including my dad, of the Woolwich Catholic Club!!

I know nothing of what happen here so I'm just Insrested.

What happened in the end because I'm sure that club must have been closed down for at least 10 years?

Sorry ... just asking what happened to the catholic club In the end
    No worries. Towards the end, the committee was essentially made up of a certain family, who basically barred anyone who questioned them. This included a few people in their 60s, whose sons I had gone to school with and who would never have offended anyone.

The CIU membership fees were not passed on, so the members lost out on the ability to go to any other affiliated club. Snooker tables were flogged off (ending up in a social club in Leysdown, I believe, that this fella owned/ran). Towards the end, they also sold one of the flats at the top, but were caught out when it was found that this wasn't theirs to sell. Probably shouldn't have sold it to who they did either!

In the end, it was bought by John McDonnell who has the Bull in Woolwich and the Newbridge Club up at the Standard, amongst others. I think he's just waiting for a CPO to buy it off him.

My understanding is that the sale of the club should have seen, all things being equal and above-board, the proceeds should have been shared by the members. Unfortunately, they weren't!
  • Popped in the club Sunday.
    So after we voted to sell for a certain price on the Sunday the committee decided to ask the same buyer if his firm could up their bid.
    They agreed to up their offer, it looks like the other interested party wants to offer more but has been told he can't.
    This has led to a committee man saying if we've asked them for more money then we should be trying to get the best price for the members and his trying to push an egm through.
    Total f@cking joke had one of the committee man telling me Sunday you don't want no more money then.
    Is this the Catholic club
    www.weekender.co.uk/articles/news/catholic-club-make-way-59-new-flats/
  • clb74 said:

Popped in the club Sunday.
    So after we voted to sell for a certain price on the Sunday the committee decided to ask the same buyer if his firm could up their bid.
    They agreed to up their offer, it looks like the other interested party wants to offer more but has been told he can't.
    This has led to a committee man saying if we've asked them for more money then we should be trying to get the best price for the members and his trying to push an egm through.
    Total f@cking joke had one of the committee man telling me Sunday you don't want no more money then.

Could someone be talking backhander?
  • clb74 said:

Yes.
  • PopIcon said:

clb74 said:

shock
  • PopIcon said:

clb74 said:

Of the few clubs I know that have been sold the members have topped up with hardly anything.
    Told the committee man Sunday the members didn't vote on the committee to try and get more money
  • edited January 2018
    clb74 said:

Yep...and Downmores is John McDonnell's business. Getting in on the Royal Arsenal scheme was always the plan. Wonder how much that would have got the members, had they not allowed themselves to be screwed over (I stress, not by John)!!
  • RIP social club was given a nice little send off.
  • Sponsored links:

• CIU clubs......A hive of working class fraud and theft since 1800.
  • clb74 said:

RIP social club was given a nice little send off.

You'll have to find another one, the one for the Bromley branch meetings is quite nice.
  • Is this the one in Penge?
  • AC said:

Is this the one in Penge?

Yes AC.
    A dance studio are buying it so looks like it wont be turned into flats.
  • clb74 said:

AC said:

Yes AC.
    You can still go there then.
  • clb74 said:

AC said:

Yes AC.

clb74 said:

AC said:

Yes AC.
    Itll be a f@cking dance school