Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 World Cup - Charlton Players

Going through the squads, as now confirmed, there are 6 ex-Charlton players appearing in the 2018 World Cup:

IRAN: Reza Ghoochannejhad (Heerenveen)

ICELAND: Johann Berg Gudmundsson (Burnley) and Rurik Gislason (FC Nurnberg)

COSTA RICA: Christian Bolanos (Saprissa)

SERBIA: Marko Dmitrovic (Eibar)

ENGLAND: Nick Pope (Burnley)

Not bad for a club in the third tier...though, as we've been a selling club for several seasons now maybe not that strange after all. Have we had more in past World Cups?

Always surprises me that we didn't keep Dmitrovic and that Gislason only played reserve team games.

Comments

• Bolanos never actually played for us, so we can't really claim him as an ex!

Dmitrovic was tarred with the network (and Thuram) brush
  • Forget the world cup there's 2 ex Charlton in the England team for soccer aid!
  • Going through the squads, as now confirmed, there are 6 ex-Charlton players appearing in the 2018 World Cup:

Not bad for a club in the third tier...though, as we've been a selling club for several seasons now maybe not that strange after all. Have we had more in past World Cups?

Always surprises me that we didn't keep Dmitrovic and that Gislason only played reserve team games.

As I've mentioned on another thread, we had eleven, maybe more but I don't think so past, current, and future players at Japan / Korea in 2002.

Bolanos and Gislasonboth played in the pre-season friendly v Welling in August 2006. Must be unique: 2 x World Cup quality players only appearing for us at that level and neither going on to play a competitive game.

Bolanos and Gislasonboth played in the pre-season friendly v Welling in August 2006. Must be unique: 2 x World Cup quality players only appearing for us at that level and neither going on to play a competitive game.
    Bolanos had a good reason(could not get work permit)

and I was there.....thought Gislason was pretty good & one of our better none appearing players thst have starred at PVR.
  • Going through the squads, as now confirmed, there are 6 ex-Charlton players appearing in the 2018 World Cup:

As I've mentioned on another thread, we had eleven, maybe more but I don't think so past, current, and future players at Japan / Korea in 2002.
    I make it 13 past, present and future players at the 2002 World Cup:

Past and Present: Claus Jensen, Muzzy Izzet, Jorge Costa, Mark Kinsella, Dean Kiely, Gary Breen, Danny Mills

Future: Dennis Rommedahl, Amdy Faye, Gabriel Sorondo, Ian Harte, Matt Holland, Alexei Smertin

So, for past/present its 6 now against 7 then. Given what we've been through in the last decade I'm amazed we can still point to 6.

Wonder how many of those appearing in the 2018 World Cup will be signed by the new Oz owners if/when the takeover finally happens....
  • Not sure can claim future players
  • Muzzy and breen?
  • Sponsored links:

• Did I miss Ian Harte playing for us???
  • I was being thorough.....

Muzzy and Breen youth team players circa 1989-1991....Ian Harte signed on a one month (?) contract in 2008-09 and played 3 x reserve games before signing for Blackpool instead.

Actually, if you discount Izzet and Breen then (given both Bolanos - briefly in his case - and Gislason actually had first team squad numbers) then it's 5 in 2002 and 6 in 2018.

Ironically, we've never had so many people with a Charlton connection in the World Cup.

Don't forget that a 14-year-old Nick Pope was in goal too.
  • edited June 2018
    Isn't Veljkovic in the Serbia team too?
  • sam3110 said:

Isn't Veljkovic in the Serbia team too?

Yes
    He actually played 3 league games for us as well, so more Charlton than Bolanos
  • Surely it is Gonzalo Sorondo? Legend!
  • I honestly never knew that muzzy and breen were ever at Charlton, I stand corrected