Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Intense driving lessons

Hi my son is looking at an intense driving school in bromley area does anyone on CL have any recommendations, his also thinking of doing the one where you get free lessons till you pass.
Thanks

Comments

• That's a first for CL
  • What about Seb?
  • Just looked on his website doesn't look like he does the intensive.
  • I used a company called FDS, they were very helpful and the instructor was always willing to go the extra mile to ensure I passed
  • Hoping you mean intensive, having said that I had some intense ones as well.
  • 3blokes said:

My mum trying to teach my sister to drive, while I was cowering in the back seat, age10, that was a pretty intense driving lesson. Especially when my sister was complaining that her kangaroo hopping driving technique was all my fault, because I was “putting her off”.

You must have done something really bad to deserve that punishment mate, I'd've phoned the RSPCC. :wink:
  • One of those curious things in my life is that I taught my father to drive. Strangely, it worked.
  • edited June 2018
  • Sponsored links:

• I used to have a driving instructor with road rage, those lessons were quite intense.

"Turn left here"

pause

wind down window

"What's your fucking problem"

winds up window

"try and make the gear changes a bit smoother"

it was a surreal few weeks.
  • My instructor on a Saturday let me drive from beckenham to Charlton for the home game
  • se9addick said:

clb74 said:

Hi my son is looking at an intense driving school in bromley area does anyone on CL have any recommendations, his also thinking of doing the one where you get free lessons till you pass.
    Thanks

"free lessons till you pass" seems like a terrible business model for a driving instructor
    Made me think and look up the average time taken. Conflicting answers: one article indicated an average 17 lessons for men and 21 for women whereas another suggested an average 45 hours!

But the same article then quoted an instructor as saying you should be good for a busy city centre after 10 hours and pass after 25. Any more than that and you should question whether your instructor was any good/providing value for money.

My instructor offered to pay for a second test. This was because the steering box on his car was knackered. I saw the examiner giving me bemused looks because I had to turn the steering wheel through about 90 degrees just to move out past a parked car, so I came clean and explained the steering "had a little bit of play in it". I was sure I'd fail because the vehicle was not roadworthy but got a pass anyway.

• The intensive course is about a £1000 includes the 1st tests for theory and driving.
    If he doesn't pass 1st time round gets the lessons free but will have to pay for further tests.
  • I did an intensive one week course, I should never have been allowed to take my test at the end of it.

I ended up passing at my fifth attempt! There is no better way to pass a test than experience in my view . I’m amazed that there isn’t a requirement to have a certain number of hours of time on the road and also a certain amount of time driving in the dark.
  • One of those curious things in my life is that I taught my father to drive. Strangely, it worked.

I used to drive my parents to drink.
  • I did an intensive course the first time I started learning. I was 18 & never even sat in the drivers seat before. I week of lessons...9am - 3pm mon-thurs with a test on the friday (It wasn't booked as they have to be pre-booked under your own name well in advance - they took a cancellation at any test centre they could get...which became the problem in my case). I was working in Croydon at the time & used a local company there. Was bricking it after 30 mins when my first experience of driving was negotaiting the roundabout outside E Croydon station ( around the 50p building where coincidentally I worked). next day I drove to Mitcham so the instructor could book a test for another learner & on the wed I drove up to Central London & he taught me lane control around Hyde Park corner & Marble Arch. Came to friday & upon meeting my instructor outside E Croydon station I was told I would be taking my test in Guildford. Only problem was on that particlarl day there were major problems with traffic light signalling somewhere between Croydon & Guildford & we ended up getting there late. As a late show meant an instant fail but a no show meant it could be re-booked at no extra cost we turned around & went home. Didn't take my test with them & eventually passed with an entirely different company.....but thats another story.
  • Always tempted to phone Seb and insist on a lesson on saturday afternoon. ;)