Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Robinson talks about that 3-3 draw with Man U

Comments

• Also one of my favourites, his energy knew no bounds.
  • He didn't beat players cleanly that often, but he beat them because he wanted it more than them!
  • He would run through a brick wall if he had to. He replaced Robert Lee and whilst Lee was undoubtably the more talented player, I doubt you would find many Charlton fans who would rank him more of a legend than Robinson. One of my all time favourite players!

Couldn't agree more, was gutted when Robert Lee left, never thought he could be replaced, agree Robinson wasn't quite as talented but ask any linesman about his commitment, many must still have ringing ears!
  • Valley11 said:

Could finish and cross well too. Wasn’t just a tryer. Loved him.

Definitely
  • He had more talent than people seem to credit him for here. Was our best player for a couple of years, one of our best players the years he wasn’t the out and out best and scored some superb goals for us ; on top of being a proper charlton lad who worked his bollocks off.
  • Sponsored links:

• He had more talent than people seem to credit him for here. Was our best player for a couple of years, one of our best players the years he wasn’t the out and out best and scored some superb goals for us ; on top of being a proper charlton lad who worked his bollocks off.

Huddersfield away in our champions season, stunning goal from about 30 yards.

People say he wasn't as talented as Robert Lee but if it came down to a choice between the two it would be Johnny R for me every time, gave his all every minute of every game. 100% committed
  • I recall Robbo being mortally injured in front of the East stand, literally couldn't walk. The ball then suddenly broke 25 yards in front of him in an acre of space. Robbo immediately, miraculously turned into a super charged Usain Bolt, the subsequent cross he delivered led to a goal. A real character and a joy to watch on his day.
  • Don't get me wrong - he was a talented player. It is just the player he replaced went on to play for England and was ultra talented. But he is a bigger club legend than Lee and few players have made use of every bit of talent they had like Robinson. I consider it an honour to watch him play at the height of his powers!
  • A model for any youngster who wants to be a professional footballer....what a partnership on the left with him and scp ...they made eachother better players ...its makes me very angry to see the lack of character and application we have now compared to then ...also shows curbs as the great manager that he was
  • SCP and Robbo on the left - bloody hell - we were really spoilt then
  • edited June 2018
    He turned the playoff game when he came on. I honestly don't think we'd have come back from 3-2 down if Robinson (back early from a broken leg) hadn't thrown himself at the Sunderland back line and given the rest of the team a lift. Definitely one of my favourite Charlton players.
  • He would run through a brick wall if he had to. He replaced Robert Lee and whilst Lee was undoubtably the more talented player, I doubt you would find many Charlton fans who would rank him more of a legend than Robinson. One of my all time favourite players!

Robert Lee will always been a legend in SE7. Rob Lee? That's a different matter.
  • seem to remember this game had everything,Jensen scored a cracker from corner of penalty area,and Giggsy hit the bar from inside his own half on the volley.Ah well roll on rochdale,Accrington Stanley
  • Sponsored links:

• I fucking love John Robinson.

That is all.
  • edited June 2018

seem to remember this game had everything,Jensen scored a cracker from corner of penalty area,and Giggsy hit the bar from inside his own half on the volley.Ah well roll on rochdale,Accrington Stanley

Jensen didn't score in this game
  • Robert Lee undersold for 750k.

Made up for the steal we got Jonny Robinson for 75k.

He just got better and better and his performance in that televised Huddersfield game where he was superb.

Love the fact he will always have that equaliser against United to remember.

One of my favorites because he absolutely maximised his natural talent through hard work and application.

If you could put up with his moaning, he would be the first guy u have next to you in the trenches ;)
  • Wasn't there a story of him and Stevie Brown (think they used to car share traveling from Brighton to training and matches) picking up some stranded Charlton who's car had broken down fans one match day and giving them a lift to the Valley?

• seem to remember this game had everything,Jensen scored a cracker from corner of penalty area,and Giggsy hit the bar from inside his own half on the volley.Ah well roll on rochdale,Accrington Stanley

Did Bartlett get two, or am I totally mis-remembering? I was there.
  • Yeah Bartlett scored twice with Robinson getting the other
  • I'll always remember watching it on Match of the Day later, and as we all erupted after Robinson's equaliser, the camera was shaking all over the place.
  • hawksmoor said:

seem to remember this game had everything,Jensen scored a cracker from corner of penalty area,and Giggsy hit the bar from inside his own half on the volley.Ah well roll on rochdale,Accrington Stanley

Probably Bartlett's best performance for us. Not to say he never played well again, but he was absolutely immense in that game.
  • hawksmoor said:

Probably Bartlett's best performance for us. Not to say he never played well again, but he was absolutely immense in that game.
    A great performance for sure (team & Bartlett) but with the chances he had right in front of goal we could & should have been 3-0 up in the first 10 minutes. Maybe that's being harsh or maybe he was a bit unlucky but that's how I remember it :smile: