Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celebrities That Are Still Alive

Comments

• Options
    Stan Lee
  • Options
    Leslie Phillips and Stan Lee both previously mentioned.

Chirps will be telling you to 'keep up' :wink:
  • Options
    Sydney Poitier.
    Olivia De Haviland.
  • Options

Still waiting on a decision about Lord Denham and Baron Graham

Wonder if the pressure of running the thread is getting to @Riviera

For what it’s worth @LenGlover reckon it’ll be a yes for Denham but a no for Graham
  • Options

Sydney Poitier.
    Olivia De Haviland.

Potter
  • Options

For what it’s worth @LenGlover reckon it’ll be a yes for Denham but a no for Graham

'NO' is @Riviera 's default position to my suggestions. It's become a matter of principle like not saying back of a length etc
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

shirty5 said:

June Whitfield

June was mentioned last year, but due to an oversight by Chirps was never given the official yay or nay.
    She sits in a kind of limbo, waiting.
    Celebrities such as June Whitfield are tacit.
  • Options

Sydney Poitier.
    Olivia De Haviland.

Oh do keep up!
  • Options

Correct.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Leslie Phillips and Stan Lee both previously mentioned.

Chirps will be telling you to 'keep up' :wink:

Indeed.
    Do keep up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about Madonna’s neck and hands?
  • Options
    Richard Baker
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Richard Baker

Oh do keep up!

There is a search facility on here FGS!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Riviera said:

shirty5 said:

Richard Baker

Oh do keep up!

There is a search facility on here FGS!
    Whoever took the Jam out of Chirpy's doughnut please apologise.
  • Options

How about Madonna’s neck and hands?

Best answer on here by some distance.
  • Options
    This is an interesting article on celebrity and how celebrities are chosen to endorse products and services.

AdWeek article
  • Options
    Beverly Cleary.

Not a celebrity as such so I'll take the wrath of @Riviera but, at 102 and a certified 'living legend', I think she deserves a special mention.
  • Options

There are under 600,000 people aged 90 and above living in the UK.

When you consider the excesses of the late night, drug filled, party showbiz life style they've probably led, that'll likely leave a very tiny percentage of people who could be considered celebrity. And then when you add to that the exacting standards required by @Riviera I would think that saturation point must have been reached or thereabouts.

I imagine St Peter sitting on his cloud welcoming these celebrities as they sadly drop of their perches. St Peter checking the list, (via the CL search facility) because as we all know the list doesn't actually exist. He'll dutifully inform our hopefuls whether they've made it or not, before directing them to the great green room in the sky. The final accolade.

I'm just wondering out loud here Riviera, but when one of your celebrities drops off the perch as Raith puts it, are they - with ceremony - deleted from your list? And how many have dropped off already?

• Options
    edited June 2018

There are under 600,000 people aged 90 and above living in the UK.

When you consider the excesses of the late night, drug filled, party showbiz life style they've probably led, that'll likely leave a very tiny percentage of people who could be considered celebrity. And then when you add to that the exacting standards required by @Riviera I would think that saturation point must have been reached or thereabouts.

I imagine St Peter sitting on his cloud welcoming these celebrities as they sadly drop of their perches. St Peter checking the list, (via the CL search facility) because as we all know the list doesn't actually exist. He'll dutifully inform our hopefuls whether they've made it or not, before directing them to the great green room in the sky. The final accolade.

I'm just wondering out loud here Riviera, but when one of your celebrities drops off the perch as Raith puts it, are they - with ceremony - deleted from your list? And how many have dropped off already?

Katie Boyle, Billy Graham and Ken Dodd for sure. There maybe others.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    John Reid (born 3 June 1928)

Former New Zealand test cricketer and captain
  • Options
    There's Len, sucking up to Riv with a cricket player...
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

It will still probably be a 'NO' even though John Reid is arguably second only to Richard Hadlee as New Zealand's most eminent test cricketer.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

MrOneLung said:

It will still probably be a 'NO' even though John Reid is arguably second only to Richard Hadlee as New Zealand's most eminent test cricketer.
    I'd be up for that particular argument, having seen Martin Crowe in his pomp.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Chizz said:

LenGlover said:

MrOneLung said:

I'd be up for that particular argument, having seen Martin Crowe in his pomp.
    Indeed. Crowe was a formidable player hence my use of the word arguably.

Reid shades it for me because for years he and Bert Sutcliffe carried the New Zealand batting virtually on their own. For that reason Reid's bowling was overshadowed by his batting yet he still took 85 test wickets at a time tests were played less frequently.

I saw him (Reid) in 1965 towards the end of his career and even at the young age I was then I could see the class.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Leslie Phillips

"Ding Dong"
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Actor Jerry Maren qualifies to be in this thread in two ways and is disqualified in one.

First, he is a celebrity, in that he is a famous Hollywood actor and one of only two surviving cast members of what is probably the most famous Hollywood movie of all time, The Wizard of Oz.

Second. Because he's 98. Today. Happy birthday Jerry.

The reason he is disqualified is that, sadly, it was reported that he died a couple of years ago, of cancer. Terrible news, of course, to everyone that knew him. And, in fact, quite a surprise to Jerry himself, who was neither dead nor suffering from cancer.

So, I suggest he's in the list. Because he's famous. Because it's 98 years since he was born. And because it's already two years since he died: so he gets to qualify to be on the list again in 88 years' time.

Unfortunately, he's died again.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/06/us/jerry-maren-obit-the-wizard-of-oz-trnd/index.html
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

MrOneLung said:

How could John Reid be a no? Legend.
  • Options
    Excellent - will add to the Legends that are still alive thread, rather than clogging up the Celebrities that are still alive thread.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Actor Jerry Maren qualifies to be in this thread in two ways and is disqualified in one.

First, he is a celebrity, in that he is a famous Hollywood actor and one of only two surviving cast members of what is probably the most famous Hollywood movie of all time, The Wizard of Oz.

Second. Because he's 98. Today. Happy birthday Jerry.

The reason he is disqualified is that, sadly, it was reported that he died a couple of years ago, of cancer. Terrible news, of course, to everyone that knew him. And, in fact, quite a surprise to Jerry himself, who was neither dead nor suffering from cancer.

So, I suggest he's in the list. Because he's famous. Because it's 98 years since he was born. And because it's already two years since he died: so he gets to qualify to be on the list again in 88 years' time.

Unfortunately, he's died again.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/06/us/jerry-maren-obit-the-wizard-of-oz-trnd/index.html
    He's done a 'Coley'