Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Costa Rica

Last game at Elland Road tomorrow night before they jet off to their camp in Russia.

Butland confirmed as starting in goal.

Feel like Southgate needs to start with a different formation for two reasons. First being we always struggle with a plan B in major tournaments, although even plan A has struggled in recent ones. Then secondly, Nigeria found it far too easy to contain us when they matched our formation. Tunisia with video analysts must be rubbing their hands together watching that second half. Need at least get them thinking before Monday week.

Hopefully no injuries and a nice little win.

Comments

• I agree re the formation - I think we should try Vardy and Kane together for this one.

It worries me that Southgate doesn't seem to know what keeper he wants to play- these games should have been used to create an understanding between our back 5/6 - playing a different keeper every game isn't exactly conducive to that.
  • I think Pickford is a shoe in for starting because of his distribution and I’d imagine he’s worked with the 3 infront during passages of play in training etc.
  • Again I agree with you Gary but no amount of training sessions are going to equal match conditions - fair enough to mess about with the defence and keeper when he was trying to select his squad a few friendlies back but at this stage I think it's more important the back 6 are settled - I don't really see what we have to gain by playing Butland in this one if he isn't going to start in the WC.
  • Again I agree with you Gary but no amount of training sessions are going to equal match conditions - fair enough to mess about with the defence and keeper when he was trying to select his squad a few friendlies back but at this stage I think it's more important the back 6 are settled - I don't really see what we have to gain by playing Butland in this one if he isn't going to start in the WC.

Agree mate. Maybe he’s seen enough of Pickford to say he’s happy and if he’s changing the defence for this game then may as well give Butland some game time.
  • I suppose as well, thinking about it if Pickford started this one and then let in 3 or had a Karius style mare or something you wouldn't want to have to face the decision to throw Butland in for the opener without a bit of game time. Ok mind changed i'll let Gareth off on that one !
  • Going to be an interesting Friendly and think we've picked a good opponent

Was quite surprised that Costa Rica have qualified for the KO Rounds twice in four attempts, with Serbia | Switzerland | Brazil they may get through again
  • Going to be an interesting Friendly and think we've picked a good opponent

Was quite surprised that Costa Rica have qualified for the KO Rounds twice in four attempts, with Serbia | Switzerland | Brazil they may get through again

I personally would not expect Costa Rica to get out of that group.
  • bobmunro said:

Going to be an interesting Friendly and think we've picked a good opponent

I personally would not expect Costa Rica to get out of that group.
    I would have said that last world cup as well!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• You have to get the team into a rythm. It doesn't matter about giving things away to opponents so much, we ought to get out of our group and everybody will know what we are about after the group stages. Goalkeeper is not such an issue and it is good to give Butland some game time. Southgate ought to treat this match as our first group game! Costa Rica looked a decent side against N Ireland so will be decent opponents!
  • Some cracking little videos of England training on YouTube on their official channel. Squad look like they get on and seems a really good mix.

https://youtu.be/yrbYrVUvCtM
  • Last game at Elland Road tomorrow night before they jet off to their camp in Russia.

Butland confirmed as starting in goal.

Feel like Southgate needs to start with a different formation for two reasons. First being we always struggle with a plan B in major tournaments, although even plan A has struggled in recent ones. Then secondly, Nigeria found it far too easy to contain us when they matched our formation. Tunisia with video analysts must be rubbing their hands together watching that second half. Need at least get them thinking before Monday week.

Hopefully no injuries and a nice little win.

Substitute Southgate for Robinson and Nigeria for Gillingham and you've summed up last season perfectly.
  • TAA confirmed as starting.
  • Sensible call, although dont know why Pope isnt getting a chance

We've seen countless times what Butland | Pickford can do, yet if one gets sent off with the other injured in training etc. then Pope will have to be called upon with his first ever cap being in Tournament conditions

We've seen countless times what Butland | Pickford can do, yet if one gets sent off with the other injured in training etc. then Pope will have to be called upon with his first ever cap being in Tournament conditions

I should imagine he will get the 2nd half tonight.

Hmm not so sure... I thought that would happen against Holland or Italy yet it didnt

Hmm not so sure... I thought that would happen against Holland or Italy yet it didnt
    Beat me to it. On both counts. Can't believe he might take a keeper with no minutes on the field.
  • I think the folly was in persisting with Hart for so long earlier on this season in other friendlies despite his poor form at West Ham - Pope could have had a game or two under his belt months ago.

Beat me to it. On both counts. Can't believe he might take a keeper with no minutes on the field.
    Its a risk yet to be honest cant think of a case where the third choice 'keeper has ever been needed at the World Cup - It'll be good experience for Nick to watch and learn, hopefully he'll keep his Burnley place next season and so get game time come the Nations League
  • Sponsored links:

• Pope is third choice (the emergency option) and unlikely to be needed. I would be surprised if he is used at all.

Don't jinx your national team like that :wink: I don't that is likely to happen!
  • I agree re the formation - I think we should try Vardy and Kane together for this one.

It worries me that Southgate doesn't seem to know what keeper he wants to play- these games should have been used to create an understanding between our back 5/6 - playing a different keeper every game isn't exactly conducive to that.

Vardy and Kane must be our first choice. Vardy is a workhorse and his pace can open up space for Kane to slip into.

I think one half in the 352 system and then another half using another formation should be the way to go.
  • of course he is unlikely to be used but I completely agree with the above comments.

An injury and a sending off and Pope could get his first cap in a World cup 1/4 final, can't believe he isn't giving him at least half tonight.

Think Manicmania was spot on, Hart has been the Number 1 and then misses the squad altogether which is poor from Southgate IMO. He should either have given Pope a chance or taken Hart as 3rd choice.
  • Yes, he could and if he does I'm sure he will do a great job, half a game or not!

Vardy and Kane must be our first choice. Vardy is a workhorse and his pace can open up space for Kane to slip into.

I think one half in the 352 system and then another half using another formation should be the way to go.
    I'd love to see Vardy getting a chance alongside Kane as reckon there could be an excellent partnership

For once though I quite liked how we played in the first half against Nigeria - Kane would come deep towards the ball which meant that the Nigeria defenders went with him to ensure he didnt have the space to turn and attack at them with the ball (We all know he's lethal from anywhere).

With the Defence coming forwards, it left acres of space for Lingard | Sterling | Alli to run into and really exploit at the back - Unfortunately all three arent really lethal from anywhere on the field.

The issue remains though that we need to face a side who'll happily sit back against us for 90-mins and potentially take the win with a single counter attack - We almost need to request a friendly with Iceland etc. offering them an extra appearance fee for setting up in that manner!! - Maybe though thats how Costa Rica will perform tonight
  • Pope is third choice (the emergency option) and unlikely to be needed. I would be surprised if he is used at all.

I know very little about the tactical side of football, but to me it would have made sense to have given all the keepers a half in the previous two friendlies, then played his number one on Saturday and tonight.
  • Daily Mail reporting that Pope will play 2nd half this evening.

Also - apologies if I've missed this but why is it being played at Elland Road?!
  • England once ignored the highest English goal scorer in the Prem but took an embryo who hadnt kicked a ball in a first team---- anything is possible