Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Depression in football (Danny Rose article)

Really interesting article with Danny Rose.

Comments

• Candid, open and honest. I hope he can move forward with his life now. Respect.
  • I found this bit odd:

"I haven't told my mum or my dad, and they are probably going to be really angry reading this, but I've kept it to myself until now."

Strange to tell the world about this before telling your parents
  • Hope he's on the mend and has a successful tournament. Would be great if more footballers were as open and honest as Rose, respect how he always answers questions directly and doesn't just give bland interviews like virtually every other pro.
  • I found this bit odd:

"I haven't told my mum or my dad, and they are probably going to be really angry reading this, but I've kept it to myself until now."

Well, when you’re mentally ill you make silly and “odd” decisions that to you seem perfectly logical in a screwed up by justifiable way.
  • edited June 2018

I found this bit odd:

The article talks about his dad's brother having taken his own life relatively recently.

When my mum was growing up, her mum had depression (in a small town of 500 in rural central Illinois in the '50s-'70's so treatment was incredibly spartan), and after numerous attempts (which my mum often discovered), my grandmother took her own life when my mum was 19.

The hardest call I ever had to make was to call my mum and tell her I had depression (my mum also suffers). I knew how hard and scary it would be for her, especially as I was living across the country at the time. But I did it and she is now the best support network I could ever ask for. What I'm trying to say is that it can be very hard, especially when it runs in the family, and what seems easy isn't always that easy.

Also, I know that when I was first diagnosed, I tended to bring up my depression in any conversation that lasted for more than five minutes. It was probably a bit strange for some people, but after having kept it hidden for a decade it was quite cathartic for me. I have no idea if that's what Danny is doing here, but I really hope it's cathartic.
  • I found this bit odd:

Probably a bit easier in some ways.
    T_C_E said:

The hardest thing in the world, to tell the ones you love. Charltonlife knew before my wife did, now I can talk about quite openly.

Fair enough. I never thought of it like that.

Apologies to anyone if my post seemed insensitive, it really wasn't meant to be
  • The first comment below the article makes me mad. It's the old how can you be depressed when you earn so much. It reminds me of John Gregory's view of his own player, Stan Colimore, when he was depressed. He said he could understand if someone was in non league, or something like that.

The nature of depression is that it doesn't discriminate. Anyone in any walk of life can get it. You could have as much money as you needed and still feel that awful dread every minute of every day with no escape.

I'd like to give the person who wrote that comment a deal - lots of money plus that gut-wrenching depression where you long to die or your current life. I bet they'd go for the money and yet change their mind after a few minutes in a depressed person's shoes.

Having money does help though - one less stress to worry about. Anyone can get depression but having no money makes it even worse....
  • Sponsored links:

• The first comment below the article makes me mad. It's the old how can you be depressed when you earn so much. It reminds me of John Gregory's view of his own player, Stan Colimore, when he was depressed. He said he could understand if someone was in non league, or something like that.

The nature of depression is that it doesn't discriminate. Anyone in any walk of life can get it. You could have as much money as you needed and still feel that awful dread every minute of every day with no escape.

I'd like to give the person who wrote that comment a deal - lots of money plus that gut-wrenching depression where you long to die or your current life. I bet they'd go for the money and yet change their mind after a few minutes in a depressed person's shoes.

Fantastic comment. I really like that last paragraph. It's very thought-provoking and I am going to steal it to use whenever I come across someone using the old "what has he got to be depressed about" trope.