Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Neville Southall

What a wonderful man. Article in today's Guardian.

www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jun/04/neville-southall-flak-sex-workers-lgbt-issues

Comments

• He is great, isn’t he? So open to learning from others’ life experiences, and empathising.
  • He is great, isn’t he? So open to learning from others’ life experiences, and empathising.

Yes absolutely. If kids need a sports role model he's the man.
  • That was a really good read, sounds like a top bloke, definitely worth a follow on twitter.
  • He needs a bigger aeroplane.
  • Great keeper in his day
  • Followed him on Twitter for a bit and whilst he does have a lot of opinions on a lot of different things, he does have a knack of falling into the category of lambasting anyone who dares to counter argue his far left wing views. Had to unfollow him in the end.

So I'm not all on board with the idea that he is the best thing since sliced bread as some others might suggest.
  • cafctom said:

Followed him on Twitter for a bit and whilst he does have a lot of opinions on a lot of different things, he does have a knack of falling into the category of lambasting anyone who dares to counter argue his far left wing views. Had to unfollow him in the end.

So I'm not all on board with the idea that he is the best thing since sliced bread as some others might suggest.

It is disappointing that while he's open minded about many things, he really isn't with his politics.
  • Greatest goalkeeper I've seen in my lifetime.
  • Sponsored links:

• He took a mean penalty in the shoot out when we played them in the quarter finals of the Full Members. Probably would have taken Bolder into the net if he'd got behind it.
  • Also follow him on twitter and hard to argue with much of what he says. Obviously cares passionately about a wide range of social issues, educates himself on them and happy to stand up and put himself in the firing line for those less fortunate.

And definitely one of the best keepers there has been!
  • I still prefer Shay Given's opinions
  • edited June 2018
    Does anyone remember (or maybe even know) Andy Turner, ex Eaglesfield and always up Samual Montagues, who score a blinder against Big Nev in his debut for Spurs, at the age of about 17? He went on to play for Pompey and I think is working for academies in the Midlands now...
  • edited June 2018
    He was a great keeper. Interesting point about Pickford and concentration. My son is a keeper and I have drilled that into him from an early age! I don't think it is something that is given enough emphasis. The clubs look for height but kids can grow or compensate for that, but some just can't focus for 90 minutes. No evidence Pickford is such a keeper, but he is a busy keeper!

My 17 year old son is around 6ft now and was with Spurs for a while a few years back, but I knew he was never tall enough for them, despite being an excellent keeper! His concentration and focus is brilliant though.

In terms of his views, I am impressed at his outlook. Seems like a thoroughly decent guy! Of course some resent people who care and who want a fairer society, but that is surely their problem!
  • He was a great keeper. Interesting point about Pickford and concentration. My son is a keeper and I have drilled that into him from an early age! I don't think it is something that is given enough emphasis. The clubs look for height but kids can grow or compensate for that, but some just can't focus for 90 minutes. No evidence Pickford is such a keeper, but he is a busy keeper!

My 17 year old son is around 6ft now and was with Spurs for a while a few years back, but I knew he was never tall enough for them, despite being an excellent keeper! His concentration and focus is brilliant though.

In terms of his views, I am impressed at his outlook. Seems like a thoroughly decent guy! Of course some resent people who care and who want a fairer society, but that is surely their problem!

Get him to watch a few DVD’s of Yohan Thuran. That will sort him out a treat.
  • Does anyone remember (or maybe even know) Andy Turner, ex Eaglesfield and always up Samual Montagues, who score a blinder against Big Nev in his debut for Spurs, at the age of about 17? He went on to play for Pompey and I think is working for academies in the Midlands now...

No