Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Celebrities That Are Still Alive

Comments

• LenGlover said:

can someone run the conditions for this thread by me..? I'm really trying to follow it but having some difficulty?? Seems very arbitrary to me if a local cricketer counts but an oscar nominee doesn't.

I'm only 34 so perhaps i'm missing something or (more likely) being totally wooshed ?- is this thread supposed to be ironic?

I've enjoyed reading it anyway!

In fairness to Chirpy (why?!) Derek Ufton was not only a Kent cricketer but also an England international footballer in his prime. Moreover he played for Charlton and is almost the last surviving player from the halcyon days of Jimmy Seed's management when Charlton were a first division club. The equivalent of the Premiership now.

Back then first division was what it said on the tin: top tier. None of this namby pamby Premiership, Championship, League One, League Two nonsense!

Apologies if all this is stuff you already know but as you said you are only 34 it occurs that you may not.
    I didn't but I appreciate the info! Will definitely be looking him up so thanks :)

For the record though, I think I can speak for my generation and at least 1 above me... the guy 100% ain't a celebrity- talk about niche! ...so I don't now why he makes the list?
    I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave some moments ago...
  • I do own the thread and it's down to my judgement who makes the list. The list is my OP plus the suggestions by others that I allow, quite simple really. Just being 90 does not necessarily qualify.
  • Ok i'll have a little stab at this;

US TV and film actress, later director Lee Grant (born oct 31st 1925)

Academy award nomination on her acting debut alongside Kirk Douglas in 1949 for Detective story. She was also nominated twice in the 70's for her roles in The Landlord and Voyage of the damned.

Famously blacklisted for ten years in Hollywood for her refusal testify against her husband in 1952's HUAC hearings.

Won an academy award for best supporting actress for 1975's Shampoo playing the lover of Warren Beatty. Also won an Oscar for 1986's documentary "down and out in America" which she directed in 1986, and made history by becoming the first female entrant to the Directors guild of America.

Won an emmy for her role in TV's Columbo and nominated multiple times for her TV work.

Other notable roles include Airport '77 (acting with fellow alumn Olivier De Havilland, as well as Jack Lemon and James Stewart) and the Omen 2. In later years played Louise Bonner in Mulholland drive. She even turned down a role in Golden girls in 1985 because she reportedly didn't want to play a grandmother.

Does she make the grade Riviera?

*crosses fingers*
  • Ok i'll have a little stab at this;

US TV and film actress, later director Lee Grant (born oct 31st 1925)

Academy award nomination on her acting debut alongside Kirk Douglas in 1949 for Detective story. She was also nominated twice in the 70's for her roles in The Landlord and Voyage of the damned.

Famously blacklisted for ten years in Hollywood for her refusal testify against her husband in 1952's HUAC hearings.

Won an academy award for best supporting actress for 1975's Shampoo playing the lover of Warren Beatty. Also won an Oscar for 1986's documentary "down and out in America" which she directed in 1986, and made history by becoming the first female entrant to the Directors guild of America.

Won an emmy for her role in TV's Columbo and nominated multiple times for her TV work.

Other notable roles include Airport '77 (acting with fellow alumn Olivier De Havilland, as well as Jack Lemon and James Stewart) and the Omen 2. In later years played Louise Bonner in Mulholland drive. She even turned down a role in Golden girls in 1985 because she reportedly didn't want to play a grandmother.

Does she make the grade Riviera?

*crosses fingers*

He might be gentle as it's your first time but I reckon you'll get a NO
  • Woo now I feel like I've made it on CL!

Ok i'll have another go don't think these have been mentioned;

Rosemary Harris (born Sept 1927)

Most famous for her role as Aunt May in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man series.

Mainly a stage actress with a number of tony awards but was nominated for an academy award in 1994 for the film Tom and Viv. Also got an Emmy award and a Golden globe for best actress for her role in the 1978 NBC drama Holocaust.

Also may know her as the mother of actress Jennifer Ehle (of Spooks, The kings speech, sunshine and the Robocop remake)

Hal Holbrook (born feb 1925)

For many years was the oldest actor to receive a Best Supporting Actor nomination (up to 2015 when Robert Duvall took the record) for 2007's critically acclaimed "Into the wild"

Other notable film roles include; All the presidents men, magnum force, Capricorn one, the fog, creepshow, Fletch lives, Wallstreet, Waking the dead and Lincoln.
    Also been all over TV on Hawaii 5-0, sons of anarchy, NCIS, The west wing, ER, Bones, greys anatomy and the sopranos.
    Married to singer Dixie Carter.

Cloris Leachman (born April 1926) US actress and comedian

Academy award winner for "The last picture show" in 1971.

Played the land lady in the Mary Tyler Moore show. Although I now her more for her role as Grandma Ida in Malcolm in the middle. Other roles include The Beverly Hillbillies, Young Frankenstein, Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid, the longest yard, Bad Santa and the classic Herbie goes bananas (!)

She was also a contestant on dancing with the stars in 2008.

• Woo now I feel like I've made it on CL!

Ok i'll have another go don't think these have been mentioned;

Rosemary Harris (born Sept 1927)

Most famous for her role as Aunt May in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man series.

Mainly a stage actress with a number of tony awards but was nominated for an academy award in 1994 for the film Tom and Viv. Also got an Emmy award and a Golden globe for best actress for her role in the 1978 NBC drama Holocaust.

Also may know her as the mother of actress Jennifer Ehle (of Spooks, The kings speech, sunshine and the Robocop remake)

Hal Holbrook (born feb 1925)

For many years was the oldest actor to receive a Best Supporting Actor nomination (up to 2015 when Robert Duvall took the record) for 2007's critically acclaimed "Into the wild"

Other notable film roles include; All the presidents men, magnum force, Capricorn one, the fog, creepshow, Fletch lives, Wallstreet, Waking the dead and Lincoln.
    Also been all over TV on Hawaii 5-0, sons of anarchy, NCIS, The west wing, ER, Bones, greys anatomy and the sopranos.
    Married to singer Dixie Carter.

Cloris Leachman (born April 1926) US actress and comedian

Academy award winner for "The last picture show" in 1971.

Played the land lady in the Mary Tyler Moore show. Although I now her more for her role as Grandma Ida in Malcolm in the middle. Other roles include The Beverly Hillbillies, Young Frankenstein, Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid, the longest yard, Bad Santa and the classic Herbie goes bananas (!)

She was also a contestant on dancing with the stars in 2008.

Sorry but you've slipped into @LenGlover mode. It's not a thread about people who are 90+.
  • edited June 2018
    I'd like to (respectfully) lodge an appeal for Harris and Leachman at least, please reconsider the following which I contest makes them worldwide celebrities in their own right;

Harris was one of the main characters in the Spider-Man series -
    Spider-Man 1 gross box office worldwide $821.7 million,
    Spider-Man 2 gross box office worldwide $ 738.3 Million,
    Spider-Man 3 gross box office worldwide $890.9 million
    total box office of $2451.4
    that's over 2 billion dollars - again, a main character in the film, not an extra or incidental character, she is billed 5th in the cast credits- how many "just people" over 90 have main speaking roles in a 2 billion dollar franchise worldwide?

For Leachman, how can you just be a "person over 90" if you are on dancing with the stars, you literally have to be a celebrity by definition to be invited onto the show! - key-word "stars" (Leachman was the oldest ever contestant on the show btw) Dancing with the stars was watched by an average 23.89 million viewers each week in 2008. Not to mention that the Mary Tyler Moore show was one of the biggest shows on US TV for years (US neilson rating of 20.3-24 which is a mean average of 25 million - 30 million viewers weekly in the US alone for all 7 seasons in the 70's) , and Malcolm in the middle (average of 12 million viewers each week over 7 seasons in the US alone in the 90's) and is a show still syndicated worldwide 2 decades after the final episode.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd like to (respectfully) lodge an appeal for Harris and Leachman at least, please reconsider the following which I contest makes them worldwide celebrities in their own right;

that's over 2 billion dollars - again, a main character in the film, not an extra or incidental character, she is billed 5th in the cast credits- how many "just people" over 90 have main speaking roles in a 2 billion dollar franchise worldwide?

For Leachman, how can you just be a "person over 90" if you are on dancing with the stars, you literally have to be a celebrity by definition to be invited onto the show! - key-word "stars" (Leachman was the oldest ever contestant on the show btw) Dancing with the stars was watched by an average 23.89 million viewers each week in 2008. Not to mention that the Mary Tyler Moore show was one of the biggest shows on US TV for years (US neilson rating of 20.3-24 which is a mean average of 25 million - 30 million viewers weekly in the US alone for all 7 seasons in the 70's) , and Malcolm in the middle (average of 12 million viewers each week over 7 seasons in the US alone in the 90's) and is a show still syndicated worldwide 2 decades after the final episode.

I'm afraid your ideas are too US based. I mean how many of your 23.89m Dancing viewers are British? This is a British based list, not exclusively British of course but American nobodies don't make it.
  • edited June 2018
    fair enough wasn't a condition of your op but its your list bud (harris is british tho btw)
  • Alan Greenspan is 92, I'm hoping that Chirpy has heard of him.
  • HarryLime said:

Alan Greenspan is 92, I'm hoping that Chirpy has heard of him.

Having worked in banking for 30 years and seeing the catastrophic results of his administration he is certainly one I have heard of.
    Makes the list.
  • I'd like to (respectfully) lodge an appeal for Harris and Leachman at least, please reconsider the following which I contest makes them worldwide celebrities in their own right;

Ah - you see you have ignored my approximate definition of Chirpy's criteria there Manicmania. You have to kind of second guess his field of knowledge. I would have dismissed the first two immediately, the third one would have been one to ponder. I created a place to discuss such things here...

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/3185293#Comment_3185293

The suddenly introduced "British based" criterion, after 15 pages is an interesting, particularly when you note that over 50% of Chirpy's original twelve were not British born. But logic is never a strong point in Chirpy world. :wink:
    Of course the likes of Kirk Douglas are acceptable but the British bit comes into it when nominations are basically nobodies. It's not difficult and I really fail to see why you and others just can't grasp the true spirit of this thread.
  • Riviera said:

HarryLime said:

Alan Greenspan is 92, I'm hoping that Chirpy has heard of him.

Having worked in banking for 30 years and seeing the catastrophic results of his administration he is certainly one I have heard of.
    Makes the list.
    is he that famous in Britain? I've never heard of him can't imagine too many average British people have. Also isn't chairman of the federal reserve (I googled) just a job like a bin man - he's basically a civil servant isn't he?

If you aren't going to be consistent with your rules then this thread will only lead to chaos surely!?
  • He makes on the same basis as another civil servant President Carter does.
  • I give up... It could have been quite a fun little thread but your ever changing and inconsistent criterion and staunch refusal to hear out the achievements of anyone you personally haven't heard of has sucked the fun out of it for me, it's just turned into a game of "guess what i'm thinking" so on that basis I think i'll retire from the thread.

• Bye, gonna really miss you...
  • Sponsored links:

• Come on Chirpy. How can you disallow the lady that played Frau Blucher in Young Frankenstein and with an impressive IMDB entry just because she's American?
  • Come on Chirpy. How can you disallow the lady that played Frau Blucher in Young Frankenstein and with an impressive IMDB entry just because she's American?

Dont upset him or he will take his ball and go home.
  • edited June 2018
    The Lord Denham born 3 October 1927

Chief Whip in the Lords under both Margaret Thatcher and John Major and served as a whip under Harold Macmillan, Alec Douglas-Hume and Edward Heath making him one of the few people to serve under 5 Prime Ministers.

He is now one of the few remaining hereditary peers in the House of Lords.
  • edited June 2018
    Just to be politically even handed:

Thomas Edward Graham now Baron Graham of Edmonton. Born 26 March 1925.

He served as Opposition Chief Whip in the House of Lords under Neil Kinnock, John Smith, Margaret Beckett (acting) and Tony Blair.

He was also the only peer to speak out against Clause 28 in the House of Lords.
  • Hal Holbrook is a great entry - been in absolutely loads of stuff and a real legend of acting.

No new suggestions for me but would like to point out again that Stan Lee is now 95 and still making his regular cameo appearances in all the Marvel films!
  • Nicholas Parsons....just.
  • Nicholas Parsons....just.

On the original list, and apparently fine despite his JAM non-show.
  • June Whitfield
  • shirty5 said:

June Whitfield

June was mentioned last year, but due to an oversight by Chirps was never given the official yay or nay.
    She sits in a kind of limbo, waiting.
  • Leslie Phillips