Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Absolutely loved his time at Charlton
  • His first match at The Valley scored twice putting the dutch masters of Kalou and Kuyt to shame.
  • LenGlover said:

Melchiot looked like he was running up a down escalator next to Bent

I blame the weight of his hair :smile:

In retrospect, while Bent has clearly had a very good career, I don't think he's ever really reached the heights he reached in that first season with us, maybe he relied on his pace a lot, and as he slowed down with age he became less effective?
  • edited June 2018

LenGlover said:

Melchiot looked like he was running up a down escalator next to Bent

I blame the weight of his hair :smile:

In retrospect, while Bent has clearly had a very good career, I don't think he's ever really reached the heights he reached in that first season with us, maybe he relied on his pace a lot, and as he slowed down with age he became less effective?
    Blame that prick Harry Rednapp...destroyed his confidence at Spurs while trying to be funny whilst courting his journo mates with a typically not funny comment....my mother in law could have scored that one....stupid cu,t.
  • ross1 said:
    Those were the days, leaving one up whilst defending a corner.....genius
  • Sponsored links:

• Loved that goal. Pretty crap match if I remember, think we were coasting 1-0. Only other thing I remember is accidentally sitting in the wrong seat, and the custodian going on about it for about half an hour
  • Great finisher. Never doubted him in one on one situations.
  • Oh for the days when beating Chelsea had a routine feel about it
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Oh for the days when beating Chelsea had a routine feel about it

It was only MU who we never beat....of the big teams in the prem at the time.
  • To score the number he did playing up front on his own in a poor side in our relegation season was phenomenal.

Great goalscorer and massively under rated as he never played for a big club.
  • Backed him e/w at 100/1 to be top goal scorer that year. Happy days.
  • To score the number he did playing up front on his own in a poor side in our relegation season was phenomenal.

Great goalscorer and massively under rated as he never played for a big club.

Spurs fans would disagree....re Big Club.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

And Coventry of the middling teams we played every season we were up.
  • When he got his England caps the other players didn't play a single ball that suited him. Gerrard really peed me off for that as I thought Bent had something that would trouble a lot of international teams and that sort of ball was in his locker. We shall now never know!

The ball Hughes played in the clip above was not hopeful at all - it was a ball for Bent to run on to. He was genuinely rapid and had the finish when he got there!
  • Sponsored links:

• When he got his England caps the other players didn't play a single ball that suited him. Gerrard really peed me off for that as I thought Bent had something that would trouble a lot of international teams and that sort of ball was in his locker. We shall now never know!

The ball Hughes played in the clip above was not hopeful at all - it was a ball for Bent to run on to. He was genuinely rapid and had the finish when he got there!

Agreed ..... having watched that video clip, Bryan Hughes intentionally put the ball into a specific area for Bent to make his run.
    No doubt it was part of the game plan, to take advantage of Bent's pace and ability on the quick counter.
  • If I was England manager and I knew the opposing defence was slow - and a lot of international defences are - I'd have had Bent in there as one of the first names. A player who really could play off the shoulder!
  • Fumbluff said:

ross1 said:
    Those were the days, leaving one up whilst defending a corner.....genius
    Can't help watching that time and again.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

And Coventry of the middling teams we played every season we were up.
    Very true....but at least we done them in the cup up there 3-2.
  • I LOVED Darren Bent, one of my favourite Charlton prem players
  • edited June 2018

Saw his league debut for us away at Sunderland. Two goals. I was thrilled that we finally had a proper centre forward - not seen the like since Mendonca / Hunt.

Still get v v frustrated whenever Sven pops up and tries to justify taking Walcott to 2006 WC.

For ever hate Sven for it. :angry: I've always rooted for England in the WC and the Euros except that year. I was so annoyed with Sven choosing 17 year old Walcott over Benty I actually hoped England fail miserably at the finals!!

I'd only been supporting Charlton for about a year or two then and it was the first time that I got the impression that we were looked down upon and treated unfairly because we weren't Arsenal, ManU etc.

I LOVED Darren Bent, one of my favourite Charlton prem players

Ditto. My favourite player during our Prem years.