Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2026 World Cup

The host nation or nations will be decided soon, either Morocco or the joint bid of USA/Mexico/Canada. Who do you think will get it and who would you prefer?

Either way it will be a better choice than Qatar.

World Cup 2026: Morocco to face joint United States, Mexico & Canada bid - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44338953

Comments

• Not sure Morocco's brown envelope will be big enough to secure this.
  • Not sure Morocco's brown envelope will be big enough to secure this.

Spot on but I hope it is.
  • Without wanting to stray into politics on here, haven't there been concerns about US government influence with Trump's veiled threats on Twitter about countries not supporting their bid?
  • I would much prefer one host nation over three. Hoping Morocco are selected to host it.
  • Why would they need to have a joint bid anyway?

Canada have enough resources to make existing stadiums big enough to host World Cup games, and Mexico have enough big stadiums to not worry about having to build new ones.
  • Morocco-Spain would have been an interesting joint bid.
  • Hoping for Morrocco, three host nations seems a bit much especially as the distances between Mexico City and one of the Canadian host cities must be vast.
  • Mexico!
  • 100% hope that Morocco win it.

USA only held it 24 years ago and Mexico have already hosted it twice.
  • None of the above. The World Cup should be all about ten of thousands of fans from lots of nations being able to follow their country’s team. Logistically, it doesn’t work with very large countries which don’t have a ‘commutable’ public transport system that can cope with moving that many fans. The best tournaments are usually the European ones such as Germany, France etc. Probably the most ideal country would be England. Mexico is a nonstarter for other reasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Under the confederation rotation system this one would have to be in Africa, North/South America or Oceania so those two are probably the most logical bids for those continents. Morocco does have a decent transport infrastructure but security might be a concern.
  • Isnt Morocco meant to be one of the safest Islamic Countries in the world?
  • Would be a f*****g joke if Mexico are involved again. 3 times since 1970 and we haven’t even had a sniff.

I bet you have. Poppers at least?!?
  • Want USA/Mexico/Canada to win it because it'll be much easier for me to get to multiple games and have a great summer doing so.

Want Morocco to win it because I'm already feeling nauseous about Donald Trump bragging about it every two minutes.
  • I'm honestly surprised there was no Australia/New Zealand bid if Oceania was able to host.

I know that Australia technically switched to the Asia confederation a few years back but it's still Oceania in a geographical sense.

Plus it seems a weird rule to say Australia can't host 2026 because Qatar hosts 2022. How far is that journey by plane?
  • A World Cup in New Zealand would be epic!!
  • I'm honestly surprised there was no Australia/New Zealand bid if Oceania was able to host.

I know that Australia technically switched to the Asia confederation a few years back but it's still Oceania in a geographical sense.

Plus it seems a weird rule to say Australia can't host 2026 because Qatar hosts 2022. How far is that journey by plane?

Yes, massively further from Qatar than say Morocco
  • Isnt Morocco meant to be one of the safest Islamic Countries in the world?

Probably safer than America!

America hosted it in 94, Mexico in 86, how can they even be in with a chance?
  • Under the confederation rotation system this one would have to be in Africa, North/South America or Oceania so those two are probably the most logical bids for those continents. Morocco does have a decent transport infrastructure but security might be a concern.

Cabs are pretty cheap in Morocco, you can get a 6-8 seater to go around 100km for roughly a fiver each.
  • Sponsored links:

• Want USA/Mexico/Canada to win it because it'll be much easier for me to get to multiple games and have a great summer doing so.

Want Morocco to win it because I'm already feeling nauseous about Donald Trump bragging about it every two minutes.

Can see USA winning the tournement
    All the USA games would be in America as Trump wont allow them to go to Mexico.

Plus most countries wont be allowed in as Trump will find something to stop them entering, banning non us citizens to enter the country or something
  • USA we missed the chance last time and it would be amazing to watch a World Cup there
  • We will never be let host the World Cup again ever
  • Politics aside, Trump won't be in office in 2026 even if he wins a second term.

Now I do have a bias as I live in Canada, I would prefer a European country as was mentioned for logistical reasons everything is closer together. Russia alone is a nightmare with the distances involved but I had read with the North American bid that each group of three teams would play in a certain time zone, rather than crisscrossing the country.

So if group A plays on the east coast, all there group games would be played there.

Much like the UK, the US especially can host a tournament of this size at the drop of a hat, the stadiums are there, hotels are there and infrastructure to get from site to site is there.

That being said, with what was released today and Morricone only getting a 2.5 out of 5 on there rating to host the event I can see it somehow going their way. If they scored a 2 they would have automatically been disqualified.

Also, with these countries that have to invest billions into new stadiums that just fall into disrepair after the tournament is over, why waste the money. All the NFL stadiums exceed FIFA's requirements and slight modifications can be made to the Canadian ones.

As with everything Fifa, I smell corruption, greasy palms etc.

I do love the quote in the article about politics making it harder for some people to get there, but yeah, Russia... That's fine. As I said, Trump can't be in office lol.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44338953
  • Re Trump, I was talking more about him bragging about it every two minutes after the decision is made rather than when 2026 actually comes around. But yeah, not the thread for politics.

A World Cup in the States would be bloody brilliant from a personal perspective.
  • England are supposed to be considering a bid for the 2030 World Cup.
  • Not that it'll effect me but Morocco for me.
  • The MLS struggle so much because of logistics. Away games have hardly any away support because America a is just so big! Canada is larger so add Mexico to the mix and it’s like having a World Cup in England, Iceland and Algeria. It just cannot work!

Morocco would also be problematic because it remains a Muslim nation. Doesn’t matter if it’s one of the safest Muslim nations - it doesn’t have money to throw around on security, stadia and that kind of stuff.

Neither option is particularly well suited to be honest. Well done FIFA for shortlisting a clusterfuck yet again!
  • Morocco. No chance of any hooliganism. You can't even raise a finger in mild irritation without the exertion causing you to foul yourself horribly. Such a fun honeymoon I had there.

It is a cool place though, the people and food are great.
  • I would like there to be two rules for World Cup bids:

1. No joint bids. One nation for one competition. No exceptions. (24 or max 32 teams to make this a reasonable rule)

2. All stadiums must already be built and up to obligatory capacities for the bid to be accepted.

These rules would ensure that true footballing nations only would receive the honour of hosting a World Cup Finals. Bollocks to Qatar and other wanabees.