Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best way to Wembley?

It’s been a while...

Taking one of my kids tomorrow. What’s the best way of going these days on the trains for when coming up from South East?

Any recommendations for somewhere Wembley or on route kid friendly to stop for a pint and a bite?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Jubilee from North Greenwich. Get off Canary Wharf for a bite en route. What we are doing for Sheeran.
  • Cheers Large but Nth Greenwich not great to get to from Sunny Sidders
  • jubilee line and then change at Finchley on to the met line
  • edited June 2018
    @AFKABartram

Train to Waterloo East. Walk over to Waterloo mainline/tube. Jubilee Line to Wembley Park about 25 minutes. 15 minutes walk (max) to the stadium.

Loads of places just outside the stadium to get refreshments.

Edit: as cafc999 suggests, you can shave a bit of time off the tube journey by changing at Finchley Road and taking the Metropolitan Line, but just stay on the Jubilee if you don't want to mess about changing trains.
  • edited June 2018
    Stop off at Finchley Rd for a bite to eat. Go to the O2 centre Pizza Express etc. More up market is West Hampstead but there is the railway tavern near the station.
  • Davo55 said:

@AFKABartram

Train to Waterloo East. Walk over to Waterloo mainline/tube. Jubilee Line to Wembley Park about 25 minutes. 15 minutes walk (max) to the stadium.

And the sports bar opposite McDonald's for a pint. ;)
  • Checkatrade trophy
  • The best thing about Wembley is the way out of it.
  • edited June 2018
    Davo55 said:

@AFKABartram

Edit: as cafc999 suggests, you can shave a bit of time off the tube journey by changing at Finchley Road and taking the Metropolitan Line, but just stay on the Jubilee if you don't want to mess about changing trains.

Did this route for Bromley game.

Stopped at Swiss Cottage tube and had a drink in the Swiss Cottage pub which is on top of the station. Does food but there is a KFC and McDonald's if you prefer.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    We get the tube to Marylebone and then across to Wembley stadium. By far the easiest and quickest route we have taken.

Queing system after the game is very good and avoids the squeeze to get back on the tube.

Also allows to to avoid Wembley way and those pesky horses!
  • edited June 2018

It’s been a while...

Taking one of my kids tomorrow. What’s the best way of going these days on the trains for when coming up from South East?

Any recommendations for somewhere Wembley or on route kid friendly to stop for a pint and a bite?

Cheers in advance

Properly worth eating before you arriving at Wembley, only takeaway places opens on match days.

My favourite pub is the Torch up by Wembley Park station, but it is usually quiet busy. Premier inn cark park has plenty of space, and you can always get in even an hour before kick off. Would be my last resort.

I have never found a family pub around Wembley or Baker Street on a match day. There is a hipster looking bar on Wembley walk which is good.

• The Wetherspoons at Baker Street is decent for a stop off. You can then get the faster Metropolitan Line trains to Wembley
  • get on back of train (last carriage) and change at Waterloo east to jubilee line (but don’t bother with the long walk to Waterloo) just go down to Southwark tube. Change at Baker Street for food/drink and met line fast to Wembley way.
  • Eat around Baker Street. Walk to Marylebone. Train from their to Wembley Stadium
  • Going, any train to London Bridge then Jubilee Line to Wembley Park and do Wembley Way, get your picture looking down the road to the stadium and the arch.

On the way back, go via Wembley Stadium and you avoid the chaos of Wembley Way. Nothing can prepare you for how tired a kid can become on the 60-90 min wait on Wembley Way to get in Wembley Park station.

When I've been last season, we drank in the Hilton which was open to ticket holders and is reasonably kid friendly.

In all honesty, if it was me and Iz going, would seriously consider driving and booking nearby parking, especially if its a late ko. Try just park, they are pretty good, use them to book parking round WHL and the Oval for the T20. Would guess its about £10-15 to park. May not be an option if the wife needs the car of course!
  • Jubilee line, get off at Finchley Road and change for the Metropolitan will save you twenty five minutes.
  • Cheers all, much appreciated
  • Train to Waterloo EAST, (board train at the back), straight down the steps to Southwark tube on the Jubilee to Wembers.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    Jubilee Line to Finchley Rd. Metropolitan Line (which is effectively same platform so no walking), as no/hardly any stops to Wembley Park. Then you can jump back on the Jubilee Line at Wembley Park going one stop to Kingsbury and there is a Wetherspoons right outside to the left. Have a a beer & food as is not too busy, then jump back on an empty tube one stop to Wembley Park. Trust me it's the best.
  • I’d give it a miss tomorrow mate, England are playing so will be mobbed.
  • Thanks for all your help, crazy how many different potential ways to get there. In true CL style after reaching out for advice I’m ignoring every single suggestion :-)

Have plumped on Charing x / Covent Garden to spend a couple of hours first. So looks like it it will be tube from Charing X to Baker St then jump on the met line

Might do Wembley Stadium to Marylebone post match

• For Sheeran the missus is driving up and parking at the O2 as we’d miss the last train home. So seems to me it’s then Jubilee Line changing once to Marylebone tube, then overground to Wembley Stadium Station and a short walk to the ground, correct? Anything to avoid the ridiculous queue to Wembley Park tube afterwards.
  • Drive to Ebbsfleet, go to St Pancras, and then on the Met from there
  • For Sheeran the missus is driving up and parking at the O2 as we’d miss the last train home. So seems to me it’s then Jubilee Line changing once to Marylebone tube, then overground to Wembley Stadium Station and a short walk to the ground, correct? Anything to avoid the ridiculous queue to Wembley Park tube afterwards.

There will be queues at Wembley Stadium station too, as while fewer people will be using that route, less trains operate that route also
  • Should of actually attended this one quite a nice ko time can have pints before and after, instead will be hacking around a golf course and having a few cold ones with it on the box, enjoy the game those going
  • Supporting someone else.
  • Have a good day mate, I would have being going with my daughter but she’s been away with my wife and mil his week and has only just got back.

Your son should love it, my daughter did. They do have mascots/characters walking around the bars in the family sections for photos if he’s into that sort of thing.

Wish I was there too.
  • He hasn’t posted on here today, I’m worried that he got on the wrong train and ended up at Roland Garros.